PDA

View Full Version : DeWalt Drill -- 998

Tom Godley
10-10-2008, 12:23 PM
Does anyone know how to take the chuck off of a DeWalt 18v drill?

The clutch died in my drill - model #998 cordless - got a replacement part online. From what I can see it looks like the clutch must be what the chuck threads onto. But the black plastic ring that you use to adjust the clutch stops you from being able to both remove the screws that hold the chuck on the inside an also does not allow any space to grab hold of the drive shaft to spin off the chuck.

Maybe I am looking at it incorrectly -- but I looks like if I take the chuck off the black ring just slides off - exposing the clutch attachment screws.

Anybody ever do this? -- It must be a common problem because I was told that they sell a lot of clutches.

Steve Leverich
10-10-2008, 5:38 PM
Not sure about this particular model, but try opening the chuck fully and checking in the hole for a screw - if it's there, it should be a standard right-hand thread. Once it's removed, the chuck should just unscrew.

Keep in mind that I know nothing about that particular model, but it's worth looking... Steve

Tom Godley
10-10-2008, 6:51 PM
I have the drill half's apart.

It looks like they assemble the drill -- and the last thing that is done is the chuck is screwed on the front.

I can not figure out how to hold the motor shaft so I can unscrew the chuck??

There is no space between the chuck and the drill to grab the shaft??

Shawn Buonarosa
10-10-2008, 7:10 PM
Put the drill back together to start, then open your drills chuck to max.
Inside there should be an allen head, it may be an oddball. You need to remove this first, put your drill in a vice to make it easier. After you get that bolt out, you need to unscrew the chuck itself, I use a 14" pipe wrench.
Good luck, it is pretty easy, but sometimes they can require some good to torque to remove.

J. Z. Guest
10-11-2008, 8:05 AM
After removing whatever fastner is inside the chuck, you will still need to hold the gearbox and armature steady to unscrew the chuck. To do this, the easiest way is to use inertia instead of trying to hold the armature steady. Whatever you do, do not get the bright idea to stick something in the vent openings between the fan blades.

The way to do it is to chuck a big allen wrench, 3/8", 1/2", whatever. With the drill in a vise, give the long part of the allen wrench a whack with a hammer or mallet in the direction that would normally tighten, as drill chucks are usually on with a left-hand thread. If that doesn't work try the other direction. It will usually only take a couple of good whacks.

Tom Godley
10-13-2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks for the help -- I have never had to take a chuck off a drill.

After taking off the torx screw inside the chuck - I used a large allen wrench that I chucked.

I gave it a few good hits with a hammer and it came off!

Had the new clutch in and all together in a flash!