PDA

View Full Version : OT- Finishing Basement - Unusual Wall Question

Lincoln Myers
02-14-2003, 3:30 PM
I am in the planning stages of finishing my basement and had an idea that I would like some input on...

I want to maximize my floor space (obviously) so I have a plan for enclosing my mechanicals i.e. H2O heater and Furnace. These lie just about dead center in the basement. I have asked around about clearance req.s for this and have heard that you just need access in front for servicing/replacement. Sooo...

I am planning to frame around these w/ a permenant wall on the back and one side, the laundry area is to the 2nd side, and in front I am trying to come up w/ a plan/idea for a "moveable" wall or some sort of 'faux wall'. This will allow me to have maximum floor space always and allow access to the mechanicals when necessary. I am thinking about raised panel faux cabinetry/ or pine bead board etc. but how do I construct and frame it so it is semi-permenant and able to slide/open/move when necessary?

Thanks for any ideas :)

Dave Crabbs
02-14-2003, 4:09 PM
Lincoln,
You could frame the forth wall to hold a pocket door. Then you can paint the door or doors to blend in with the walls. It all depends on how long this wall will be and where the access opening needs to be.
Just my .02
Dave

Joe Suelter
02-14-2003, 7:22 PM
This may sound kinda weird, but what I did was sorta like what you want to do, I think. Envision a square box, framed with 2x4's that you could attach sheetrock to. That's the simple part. What I did from here was to only attach 2 of the walls permanently to the floor & ceiling joists in the shape of an L. The other two sections were mounted with hinges that could be opened up for access, either by opening up one section (cleaning filters, etc...) or in the event that you had to replace the furnace or water heater, both could be opened and swung out of the way. I found some hardware at the big-box store for keeping them closed. The one section is hardly ever opened, so I used barrell locks (gate closers) to keep it tight. The other section I used a couple of magnetic door strikes. This whole thing looks like a bifold door, except with drywall. The two openable sections I made a little short to accomidate carpet, and it looks just like a closet. I'm sure you could adapt this idea to look like a cabinet if you wanted. Hope this makes some sense, and I hope it helps. Good luck--Joe Suelter

Curt Harms
02-15-2003, 11:00 AM
and it's sort of in an arountuit mode. At least my mechanicals were to one side of the basement. I used one of the poured walls, 2 solid framed walls and for the 4th side, I have 1 36" hollow core door and 2 shop-made louvered french doors in front of the furnace. I'm going to put furnace filters on the inside of the louvered doors so there's plenty of ventilation to the gas furnace and gas hot water heater. It REALLY helps to have good dust collection and air filtering in a basement shop. I'm looking to upgrade mine. Hope this gives you another idea.

Curt

Lincoln Myers
02-17-2003, 11:05 AM
Thanks for the input guys...