PDA

View Full Version : Bi-Metal Bandsaw Blades

Burt Alcantara
10-10-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm shopping for a 1/2" blade for my new 514X2. I'm expecting a Woodmaster CT any day but would like the 1/2 for more general stuff.

A lot of older posts recommend a Lennox Bi-Metal. Going to their site shows no particular band named Bi-Metal. There are a number that contain carbide but I don't know what in particular people are referring to.

I recall one poster stating that MM recommended the 1" Trimaster and 1/2" Die-Master for the MM16. That was the only post I've found that had a specific recommendation for a Lennox 1/2" blade.

I'm a heavy user of bandsaws and have worn through enough TW blades that I don't want to go down that path any longer. I will admit that I have their 1/8 and 1/4 blades for my 14 incher with appropriate Carter Stablizer but have yet to mount any of the above.

Recommendations, suggestions, comments, yeas/nays?

Burt

Chris Padilla
10-10-2008, 4:15 PM
"Heavy user" to me says: carbide! The Lennox Trimaster (1") is what I have on my MM20 and it cuts like butter and leaves such a nice surface. I cut lots of veneers for pressing.

I guess it all depends on what will predominate your cutting: veneers, green wood, blanks for turning, or will you use it much like most Americans use a table saw for (ripping)? Like a TS, having a few blades to use will yield the better cuts.

Mike Cutler
10-10-2008, 5:02 PM
Burt

Here's a pretty good site for Lennox blades and info. The Lennox Bi-Metals are under the DieMaster,and Classic line.

http://www.toolcenter.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=TC&Category_Code=ORDER_BANDSAW_BLADES

Gotta agree with Chris though. If you plan on doing a lot of resawing, and bandsaw work. The Tri-Master may be the best value for you.
I've used both, the 1" Lennox Bi-Metal, and 1" Tri Master in 2-3 varipitch configuration. New,out of the box, the cut quality is very similar between the two, but the Tri Master will outlast the Bi-Metal for cut quality hands down.

Congrats on that new saw, nice gloat in your other thread. Now get that bad boy in the garage and have some fun.:D;)

Burt Alcantara
10-10-2008, 5:03 PM
My main use is to cut up logs. For that I've ordered a WM CT. For non log things I thought a good 1/2 carbide would be the thing. Just can't find exactly what a bi-metal is when it is often mentioned.

Burt

Peter Quadarella
10-10-2008, 7:19 PM
For general curvy stuff I am currently using using a Lennox 3/8" bimetal and I like it a lot.

Burt Alcantara
10-10-2008, 8:40 PM
If I go with the DieMaster 1/2" what's a good tpi and tooth configuration for general all around work? The TriMaster is too expensive at this time, especially since I've already ordered up a Woodmaster CT for cutting logs.

Burt

Charlie Plesums
10-10-2008, 10:29 PM
My main use is to cut up logs. For that I've ordered a WM CT. For non log things I thought a good 1/2 carbide would be the thing. Just can't find exactly what a bi-metal is when it is often mentioned.

Burt

Check the specs. I thought the WM CT was for cutting dry wood only. Wet wood requires a blade with a fairly wide kerf (or at least wide set) since the wet sawdust expands, and plugs the kerf, making the blade wander. The WM CT is a fairly thin blade (.035 back, .05 kerf if I remember right off the top of my head). Great blade for resawing, but I won't use mine on rough cutting.

The narrowest woodmaster is 1 inch, but the TriMaster is available as narrower blades. The TriMaster is designed for both wood and metal, but I don't know if that includes wet wood. It also does a sweet job on resawing, but with wider carbide (I think the kerf is around .065) and more teeth, it is more expensive than the woodmaster CT.

Perry Holbrook
10-11-2008, 6:53 AM
I would suggest you try a combination tpi Die-Master. I use both a 8/12 and a 10/14 with good results.

I just recently tried a 1/4" 10/14 that has extra thick kerf for cutting thick maple on a bevel. I discovered that the thicker kerf lets you cut aabout the same radius with a 1/4" as you normally can cut with a 1/8" blade.
Perry