PDA

View Full Version : Jewelry boxes please.

David Cramer
10-10-2008, 9:43 AM
Hello fellow Creekers!

Does anyone know of a good book on Jewelry Boxes? I've done the search function and found a few pictures of some, but not many (probably not doing it right). I remember a few different posts from this site of taller jewelry boxes that had "side doors" to hang chains and so forth. My memory says one of the guys was from Michigan, but I can't find it and have searched and searched. My goal is to make one for my wife by Christmas with some wood that I just purchased. It was labeled as lacewood, but after receiving the latest Wood Magazine, I now know it is leopardwood, not lacewood. No difference to me because I really liked it and glad I made the purchase.

I have used google and still have not found it. John ?ski was the name that I remember from Shelby Township Michigan, but I can't find it, or many other jewelry boxes. The ones that I've seen are fabulous, but just not the kind I want to "attempt" to build.

Your help will be greatly appreciated by my wife come Christmas morning. Thanks in advance and if I'm doing the search wrong, I'm all ears! Computers are not my thing.

David

Burt Alcantara
10-10-2008, 10:14 AM
The most prolific author is Doug Stowe. Start with his Basic Box Making book and video (check Amazon). The DVD is outstanding! All of his books are excellent.

Box Making - a Tauton Complete Illustrated Guide -- Doug Stowe, similar to the above but more detailed.

Making Great Boxes - Wood Magazine

Box Making Basics - David M. Freedman

Fine Decorative Wood Boxes - Andrew Crawford

The Art of Making Elegan Wood Boxes - Tony Lydgate

There are more but these will keep you busy for a while.

Burt

David Cramer
10-10-2008, 11:06 AM
Thanks Burt!

I really appreciate the reply. I actually knew that Doug Stowe had some kind of a book on making boxes, but I didn't know they were jewelry boxes. I had no idea about the video/DVD either and I will definitely order it. Thanks for taking part of your day to respond with such detail on all of the books and magazines you've listed. Have a :)great day!

David

Lee Schierer
10-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Here is the box I made for my wife.
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~us71na/jewel1.jpg
http://www.home.earthlink.net/~us71na/jewel2.jpg

David Cramer
10-10-2008, 11:17 AM
BINGO!!!! That's one of the boxes I had seen before on this site.

Thank you Lee for posting the pictures, very nice of you. That is absolutely right along the lines of something I'd like to build. I'm gonna try mine out of leopard wood and we'll see what happens. You and Burt have helped out immensely and just made my Friday. I'll let you know how it turns out and hopefully I can complete it well before Christmas. Thanks again for sharing your work.

David

Burt Alcantara
10-10-2008, 11:18 AM
Lee,
That is one beautiful box! Thanks for posting that.

Burt

Lee Schierer
10-10-2008, 11:22 AM
BINGO!!!! That's one of the boxes I had seen before on this site.

Thank you Lee for posting the pictures, very nice of you. That is absolutely right along the lines of something I'd like to build. I'm gonna try mine out of leopard wood and we'll see what happens. You and Burt have helped out immensely and just made my Friday. I'll let you know how it turns out and hopefully I can complete it well before Christmas. Thanks again for sharing your work.

David

Pictures of this box were published in woodcraft magazine a while ago.

I was going to send a private message to you but yours appear to be turned off! I have a dimensioned autocad drawing (No joint details) of the box. Send me a pm with your email if you want it.

Also check out the classifieds board as there is an Ad right now for some box making books by Mr. Stowe!

Alex Shanku
10-10-2008, 11:36 AM
Here are some from FineWoodWorking

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/dtSearch/searchResults.aspx?page=1&query=jewelry&index=Gallery&channel=Gallery

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Every one I've built I pulled out of my head.
Taunton is a good source and there are likely to be books in your library on the topic you can use for inspiration.

As an aside:
Don't leave your pricey stuff in a jewelry box when you leave the house for a spell.
Lock it in a bank deposit box.

Most home safes are too easy to pop on a dolly. The really heavy ones are so pricey that one might be better off building a hidy hole in the walls or under the floor boards like they did during the Carpet Bagger days.

David Cramer
10-10-2008, 11:55 AM
Thanks Lee. You have a PM and my email address. I don't have a clue as to how the box to disable PM's was checked, but I'm glad:) you brought it to my attention.

I will check out the Woodcraft magazines and see if I can find it, in addition to checking out the classified for the Doug Stowe material.

Thanks Alex for the link from finewoodworking. Outstanding!

I've gotten more ideas in the last 10 minutes than I know what to do with:). I stink at computers and will ask for picture posting help when the jewelry box is done. Any pictures posted from me were actually done by my wife and I'm not asking her this time. The one with my daughter and David Marks, her doing. I'll figure it out eventually.

Thanks Creekers for the quick help!

Ya gotta love this site!

David