PDA

View Full Version : table saw

alex loredo
10-09-2008, 8:19 PM
I found a craftsman seiries 113 table saw for sale at a resonable price. Can this saw be as dependable as any other saw? I what i liked about it is its 2hp motor, sturdyness and big table footprint.

Tom Henderson2
10-09-2008, 9:11 PM
Hi Alex-

The 113.xxxxxx saws were made in many models over many years. So there are quite a few different variants.

That said, many were pretty solid consumer-grade saws. I see them on CL for well below $100 quite often, although the condition of some of those may be pretty rough.

The fence for most of them is OK for carpentry, but lacking for furniture-grade work. So look at that carefully.

Also, make sure it has all the parts -- blade arbor wrench, washer and nut, throat plates (normal and dado), motor mount, etc. Replacements for most are available on fleabay, but may be pricey in the context of the overall saw cost.

So take a look. If it is in good shape, it may be a deal for you.

I have my dad's 1965 C-man saw; it isn't a Unisaw by any stretch, but it isn't bad. I did remove the arbor and have the flange trued up by a machinist but otherwise it has been plug and play.

Hope this helps.

-TH

Bruce Page
10-09-2008, 9:15 PM
Alex, a lot of people do a lot of very fine work on Craftsman table saws. That said, I had one that I was never satisfied with. I did several upgrades to it including a Shop Fox fence, link belt, Forrest WWII thin kerf blade, and a few others that I can’t think of now. After $300 to $400 in upgrades I still couldn’t trust it for critical cuts. I ended up selling it and getting a Unisaw. These are my experiences, your mileage may vary.

Michael Boyle
10-09-2008, 9:40 PM
Alex,

I also have a C-Man Saw and have been rather happy with it. The one thing that really made a difference in mine was to purchase a PALS system and taking the time to fine tune it. I have a General Saw that I use for most of my work, but the C-Man is not a bad tool once setup and is capable of doing good work. I do agree that purchasing a quality blade is a must as well, but that holds for all saws.

glenn bradley
10-09-2008, 10:45 PM
113. means this was manufactured for Sears by Emerson. The same folks make the Ridgid 36XX that folks seem to like so much. I ran a 1970's 113.xxxxxxx for quite a while and my dad is still running it. I have a 1950's Emerson/C-man that I will probably never sell.

I paid $100 for the 1HP version. I added the usual contractor saw fix ups; fence, pulleys, link belt, PALs, miter gauge and guard for about $300 - $350. After a couple years of faithful service I sold it to my dad for a song.

If a great deal on a larger saw hadn't come along I would still be running it. It was no cabinet saw but it was better than a lot of new ones I have seen. The 1950's one is a LOT better than many new ones I've seen.

scott spencer
10-10-2008, 5:41 AM
There could be potential for it, but as has been stated, there were several of the Emerson 113.XXXXXX models available. If it's got a cast iron top, if the motor is a belt drive induction motor that hangs out the back, and if it's full size (27" deep), then it has very similar guts as the modern Ridgid contractor saws, and has good potential. Assuming it possesses those basics of a decent traditional contractor saw, then equipping it with a decent fence (assuming it doesn't already have a suitable fence), good blade, aligning it well, and perhaps adding a link belt should result in a very capable saw. Also check the condition of the gears and clean them up, bearings on the arbor, and the pulleys.

IMO, one of the better values for a decent aftermarket fence is the Delta T2 for ~ $150. The Vega is also very good for ~ $100 more. The Biese types are great but tend to be even more money. Ebay may have some reasonable offerings for you.

David Tiell
10-10-2008, 8:36 AM
I had one for many years, and would still be using it today if I hadn't gotten a great deal on a used cabinet saw. I upgraded it with a good fence, machined pulleys, link belt, and a shop-built rolling cabinet base. It served me very well for about 10 years.

Bob Ross
10-10-2008, 8:40 AM
Alex,

I've had 4 of the 113's, the last was a 113.298xxx. If by reasonable, you mean less than $175 without any upgrades, it is full size with cast iron wings and it is in good shape, it's worth considering. Keep in mind that, in this economy, by the time you augment it for finer work you will be approaching the price of a good used older cabinet saw.

I paid $160 for the last one I had. I did the pulleys and belt and upgraded the fence (used Jet) and when I was done, parted it out on ebay and made a few bucks.

Good luck.