PDA

View Full Version : Critique Requested on First Pedestal / Hollow Form

Ken Vonk
10-09-2008, 8:18 PM
I wish I could get in as much turning as most of you appear to be able to!!! I get about one piece a month or two done in my "free" time...lol. This is my first attempt at a pedestal. The piece is maple burl and claro walnut. It's approximately 9" tall and 3 3/4" in diameter. Finished with 3 coats of wipe on poly so far. Please let me know what you think and any suggestions for improvement.

TIA,

Ken

Repentant Wood = Broken, Turned 'round and Saved from the Fire!

Curt Fuller
10-09-2008, 9:00 PM
I've never really known how to go about critiqueing something, but I'll tell you that is a beautiful turning. That's a pretty spectacular piece of burl and you've done a nice job of displaying it with the pedestal. It all seems to go together. The only thing that I can see that 'might' have made a difference is if the neck below the natural edge of the burl were a bit smaller in diameter. This is one of those kind of pieces that makes you say "Wow" when you first see it.

Scott Conners
10-09-2008, 9:07 PM
I love the upper form, the lip is exquisite. I find the chips on the rim of the pedestal grab my attention - I think I'd fill them, being that it's such a dark wood anyway. I love the overall form though!

Steve Schlumpf
10-09-2008, 9:23 PM
Ken - no matter what I say - you have a winner here! Beautiful turning! Love the wood, the concept of a HF on a pedestal and the finish. Very nice work - seriously - very nice.

Scott mentioned the chips/holes in the foot of the pedestal - I actually like them as it goes hand in hand with the natural edge. Just my opinion.

Curt mentioned teh neck of the HF could be a little narrower and I tend to agree with that observation - but again that is just our opinions. I did take the liberty of modifying the first photo to demo what I think may add to the overall form. Remember - this only offered as something for you to think about. It may work - it may not - it's your decision.

Dan Oliphant
10-09-2008, 10:07 PM
Ken, there is no question, that piece is a WOW type of work.Well done sir. I happen to like the neck to body ratio. My comment is only based on what we can see in the pictures of course, but the base diameter to the top of the pedestal appears to be somewhat undersized.
Again well done on the whole.

Bernie Weishapl
10-09-2008, 10:09 PM
Ken I must say that is a beauty. I tend to agree with the smaller neck. Other than that it is a beautiful piece out of some beautiful wood.

Jon Lanier
10-09-2008, 10:11 PM
I really like it! Wow that is a pretty piece. As to the foot, I think it flows with the piece. As to the neck, well, I like it, for some reason I think 'we' turners tend to like the harder work on a piece. Whereas the average Art goer would find the piece spectacular.

Toney Robertson
10-09-2008, 10:13 PM
I like it. Nice job Ken.

As far as the neck issue, I think you nailed the perfect ratio. The modification that Steve posted looks contrived. What you did IMO flows.

But to each his own.

The profile that you posted looks like an old style pitcher that you might see by an old dry sink.

Well done.

Toney

Keith Christopher
10-09-2008, 10:47 PM
I like it ! No critique here !

mike fuson
10-09-2008, 11:11 PM
Its a definetely a nice piece and the smaller neck would make it more elegant. I really think this particular piece would look better without a pedestal. Just looks to me like it was meant to sit on the table... but what do I know. Very nice wood and the rim is the best part of it all.

Barry Elder
10-10-2008, 9:22 AM
IMHO, Burls have an elegance all their own, and are diminished by the non-burl pedestal.

Ken Vonk
10-10-2008, 3:39 PM
I appreciate all the comments. I had thought of making a vase on a pedestal for my wife but cracks in the burl caused a major re-design...lol I had thought about the neck being smaller in diameter but decided that it would look more like a water pitcher with the larger neck. Too bad I didn't have Steve around to show me what it would look like before I started the inside :D

Thanks again,

Ken

Ben Gastfriend
10-10-2008, 4:59 PM
That is extremely nice, ecpecially for your first! I'll won't critique because I havn't done any HF or anything on a pedastal.

I know I havn't been on much the past couple months, but, how the heck did you do that, Steve?

I did take the liberty of modifying the first photo to demo what I think may add to the overall form. Remember - this only offered as something for you to think about. It may work - it may not - it's your decision.

Clara Koss
10-10-2008, 5:25 PM
very cool !!!! thanks for showing it to us!!!!