PDA

View Full Version : Lakes

Steve Clarkson
10-09-2008, 8:03 PM
I'd like to engrave a local lake on a wooden plaque. I want it as accurate as possible and to list the various bays and other landmarks.

Has anyone done this? If so, do you have any idea where I could get an actual vector image? The DEC? The State? A map? Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Doug Griffith
10-09-2008, 8:18 PM
Try getting a hold of George Perzel. He's done some nice work.

George M. Perzel
10-10-2008, 8:34 AM
Hi Steve;
What exactly are you looking for? What lake?
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Steve Clarkson
10-10-2008, 1:50 PM
George....the lakes on your site are wonderful. I guess my question was meant to be more generic......what is the best way to do it? If someone wants Lake Champlain or Lake Erie or any one of a million other lakes in this beautiful country of ours.....what is the best way to do it? Is there a government website that has vector images of specific lakes? Is there a company that sells them? You know, just general stuff.

George M. Perzel
10-11-2008, 10:29 AM
Steve;
I'm not aware of any company that sell vector lake maps-let me know if you find one. NY DEC has bitmap lake maps for a lot of different lakes but they tend to be crude.
Best regards;
George
LaserArts

Scott Shepherd
10-11-2008, 11:00 AM
How about taking a local map of the lake (the one's people use that fish) and take the actual map to Kinkos and have them scan it into a pdf file?

Then you'll have it all in a format you can import into Corel, edit, scale, and modify all you want.

Just thinking out loud.

John Barton
10-11-2008, 11:04 AM
Or try online mapping sites like mapquest, yahoo maps, google maps, maybe even Google Earth and see if you can get a decent enough image to turn into a vector.

Anthony Welch
10-11-2008, 12:00 PM
If that don't work find one of the maps you like and use your Wacom tablet to trace out a topo type map. Include things you want and leave out what you don't.

Anthony