PDA

View Full Version : Strength of Workshop Cabinets

Burt Alcantara
10-09-2008, 5:04 PM
I'm intending to build a cabinet for my lathe to sit upon. The lathe weights about 300 pounds. I've only built one cabinet, which has one drawer and one door, that came out OK except for the ugly finish (dyed it honey amber...ugh). It seems to be strong and will support my weight if I sit on it.

The cabinet will be about 36" wide, 24" deep and about 30 +/-" high. I intend to construct it with HD quality birch ply. I'd like 3 spaces in side and have it on wheels.

Any considerations I should be looking for?

Thanks,
Burt

Carroll Courtney
10-09-2008, 5:49 PM
Burt,I like your idea.I would divide it into two parts.1)Base;normal construction using dado's & rab's joints,and corner blocks all the way up from the bottom.And speaking of the bottom,3/4 plywood,one solid piece.Then run another layer of plywood about 4" wide and around the bottom which will make it 1 1/2 thick.Something for the casters to bolt to.2) I would glue up several layers of 3/4MDF for the weight and the strength and flatness.Maybe drill several 1" holes for your turning tools.Post some pics of your project after finish. Carroll