PDA

View Full Version : Hackberry vase

mike fuson
10-09-2008, 4:06 PM
This is some Hackberry I've had for a while. Measures about 7 1/2 wide x 7 high. Shellawax finish.
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/hollow%20forms/hackberryface.jpg
http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u31/MikeFuson/hollow%20forms/hackberrytop.jpg

Steve Schlumpf
10-09-2008, 4:09 PM
Beautiful work as always! Great curve! Love the small foot! Also like the way the collar continues the curve across the top of the form! Really nice - thanks for sharing!

David Walser
10-09-2008, 6:08 PM
When we lived in the Dallas area, we had a huge hackberry tree in our back yard. If I'd had any idea that tree contained such beautiful wood, I'd have cut it down! Very nice hollow form. I love the shape of the vase and the contrasting collar, but the grain -- with all that movement -- is the star. Nicely done.

Ken Fitzgerald
10-09-2008, 6:13 PM
Mike.....that is, indeed, a beauty as we have come to expect from you! Great form, finish and the wood is gorgeous!

robert hainstock
10-09-2008, 7:06 PM
Always look forward to your posts Mike. Not disapointed this time at all. :D:D:D
Bob

Bernie Weishapl
10-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Mike that is beautiful. I really like the form on it.

Jon Lanier
10-09-2008, 10:49 PM
I think I found a new inspiration shape! Do you do your collars separate or do you add them on at the end and cut with the piece?

mike fuson
10-09-2008, 11:01 PM
I think I found a new inspiration shape! Do you do your collars separate or do you add them on at the end and cut with the piece?

Glad you like the shape Jon, I turn collars separate.

john taliaferro
10-10-2008, 10:36 AM
i like all of it. found hackberry at a friends shop 2 weeks ago.turns nice, mine smells funey, not bad just different . john t

Mike Vickery
10-10-2008, 12:58 PM
Beautiful piece Mike, I like it a lot. The colalr is a little hard to see in the first picture though.

Chris Barnett
10-10-2008, 3:04 PM
Beautiful piece. Really like the outline.
Will probably have a huge hackberry on the ground not too far in the future. Measures above 13 ft circumference and is maybe 80 ft tall. Lost it's twin a few years back, and this one is now leaning maybe 20 degrees, and more every year.
Is regular hackberry useful to folks to turn or is the turning above done with specially treated wood or what? My experience in cutting up and burning the one that fell is that the wood is just a disgusting bland white worthless as firewood or lumber. How was the wood for the above vase treated?

mike fuson
10-10-2008, 4:33 PM
Beautiful piece. Really like the outline.
Will probably have a huge hackberry on the ground not too far in the future. Measures above 13 ft circumference and is maybe 80 ft tall. Lost it's twin a few years back, and this one is now leaning maybe 20 degrees, and more every year.
Is regular hackberry useful to folks to turn or is the turning above done with specially treated wood or what? My experience in cutting up and burning the one that fell is that the wood is just a disgusting bland white worthless as firewood or lumber. How was the wood for the above vase treated?

Chris, this is only the second piece that I have turned, it had spalted some, but no special treatment was done to it. Just roughed, dna, dried, and then finished turned. I think its a good turning wood and easy to sand.

Ben Gastfriend
10-10-2008, 4:56 PM
Nice wood, and a nice form! What else is new?:)

Clara Koss
10-10-2008, 5:27 PM
very asian looking beautifull thanks for sharing you show off!!!!