PDA

View Full Version : Rust inhibitor mat?

James K Peterson
10-09-2008, 1:27 PM
I saw a rust inhibitor mat that looked like it was just some of that black no slip drawer lining stuff with a rust inhibitor coating on it. I was thinking I could use it to line my tool drawers, but I can't remember where/who I saw that sold it. Am I dreaming this stuff up or has anyone else seen it?

Thanks
James

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-09-2008, 1:55 PM
I'd want to know a little about the physics of the product before I paid for it.

A few years back I recall a flurry of electronic gadgets that purported to rust proof your car by changing the electric charge of the frame and preventing an exchange of ions between the earth to the metal.
I don't believe they worked.

I would be suspicious about any tool mat that purports to prevent rust.

Derek Tuchscherer
10-09-2008, 2:03 PM
Here you go James:

http://www.flambeauhardware.com/rust_inhibit/additions.asp

HTH

Derek

Tom Esh
10-09-2008, 2:13 PM
If you have a Lowes nearby, they sell it under the Kobalt brand - usually near the toolboxes. It's impregnated with an inhibitor of some sort that seems to work. Note it will also stain bare wood left in contact with it.

Tim Marks
10-09-2008, 6:30 PM
A few years back I recall a flurry of electronic gadgets that purported to rust proof your car by changing the electric charge of the frame and preventing an exchange of ions between the earth to the metal.
I don't believe they worked.
They do work... but your car has to be immersed in salt water for it to function properly.

Active cathodic protection is used on big ships.... but if it isn't set up right, it will accelerate the corrosion instead of stop it.:eek:

James K Peterson
10-10-2008, 6:14 AM
That's the stuff :D You all never cease to amaze me.
I was thinking of using it as a lining for my plane storage drawer. I'll have to be careful if it stains the wood, but I think it should work. Lots of humidity down here in the deep south ;)

Thanks
James

Lee Schierer
10-10-2008, 11:19 AM
I guess I would have to see some proof that it works other than manufacturers advertising. To place anything in a box to protect tools by "vapor" would require a well sealed box and/or lots of vapors to displace the air and water vapor. Any opening of the container or cracks, like drawer clearance would tend to let the vapors disperse, which would reduce the concentration of vapors.

There was a similar product marketed about10-15 years ago that claimed similar capability.

Color me as being from Missouri on this one!

David G Baker
10-10-2008, 11:40 AM
Once in a while I get machinist tools that get shipped in a paper product that looks like it is soaked in an oil based product. I keep my steel tools wrapped in the stuff when stored and so far none of them have rusted. Don't know what the rust inhibitor is.

Bruce Wrenn
10-10-2008, 10:20 PM
Bull Frog is the manufacturer of this product. Also, vapor emiting paper has been around for many years. Only problem is most places stock it in a 300' roll. Leitz sends their saw blades with a piece on each side of the blade. No only does this protect blade from moisture in the air, but also acid in the cardboard. Unfortunately Forrrest doesn't, but you have to expect that when you buy a cheap blade. Cheap as in quality, not price. Many front end parts (Moog brand) used come wrapped in vapor emiting paper. Check with your mechanic and see if he has any that he disposes of. It looks like brown paper, with a "plastic " look on the other side.