PDA

View Full Version : Taking a trip

jim barter
05-17-2004, 9:52 PM
Good day / This is my first post ,a virgin if you will to this site.My wife and I are planning a trip to Nashville this summer.We will be leaving 2nd week of July and travelling from here in Rusagonis New Brunswick,Canada.We are located approx 1 hour from the border of Houlton Maine and will be taking the I95to Nashville.I was wondering if anyone could tell me of any tool shops, woodturners and woodcarvers along the way.We have three weeks and don;t really want to see the cities.We are planning to take the coast route home from Nashville. How is the camping along the way.We are planning to tent as long as the weather is ok otherwise its motels for me.Every year we take a trip to see the countrty.Last year we took 5 weeks and travelled across Canada.14,000km's from home to British Colombia and back.Great experience,unbelievable the size of this country and the beauty.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.Thanks :) [EMAIL=james.barter@gnb.ca]

Stefan Antwarg
05-17-2004, 10:03 PM
I-95 is not a coastal route - as you eluded to in your post. At least the portion you will travel. It is a typical major highway with not too much to see. I have been on the vast majority of 95 in my life. Now that I think of it, New Hampshire is probably the best part of 95. Anyway, you could probably find some decent WW'ing type places if you are willing to take a different RT part of the time. There are a couple Shaker villages (Hancock) in Mass. In western Mass. There are woodcraft stores scattered around the country. About 10 minutes off 95 on the Baltimore Beltway for instance. The eastern US has tons of neat things to see - although most not WW'ing related.

Stefan

Martin Shupe
05-17-2004, 10:09 PM
There is a woodworking school near Smokey Mountain National Park, I think it is called Arrowmount? See the Smokies, but they will be crowded that time of year. There a scenic drive through a "cove" but the name escapes me. Worth the drive.

Kelly Mehler's shop is near Berea, KY, and I am going there in the fall. The town is supposed to have lots of woodworking stuff. Brian Boggs' chair shop is there.

There are some Shaker sites north of Nashville in KY. If you like caves, I have heard Mammoth Cave is good. I plan to stop next time. The Shaker site I stopped at near the cave is small, but worth it if you want to see original pieces.

If I think of some more info, I'll post again.

Jim Becker
05-17-2004, 10:33 PM
Depending on where you decide to cut west, the Woodturning Center in Philadelphia PA, Nakashima Studios in New Hope PA (near me) and the Wharton Esherick Museum near Valley Forge might be of consideration. You will need to leave I-95 to cut west and south, either north of here, here or near Washington DC to get to TN!

Jim Ketron
05-17-2004, 10:47 PM
There is a woodworking school near Smokey Mountain National Park, I think it is called Arrowmount? See the Smokies, but they will be crowded that time of year. There a scenic drive through a "cove" but the name escapes me. Worth the drive..
The name of it is Cades Cove. There are a lot to see there and the surrounding area a lot of old time craftsmen in that area Look Herehttp://www.the-smokies.com/
Jim

Dick Parr
05-18-2004, 8:09 AM
Cades Cove also has some great camping as does Townsend that you go through to ge to Cades Cove. Lots of camp grounds.

Arvin Brown
05-18-2004, 10:31 AM
Asheville, North Carolina is beautiful. Take a drive along the Blue Ridge Parkway. Numerous campsites along the way.

jim barter
05-19-2004, 10:53 PM
Thanks for the info,we will try to get to all the spots mentioned.We are in no hurry when we travel.If we find a location we like we sometimes stay for a day or two.Really looking forward to getting down through the states.Drove to Florida a couple of years ago as my younger brother lives in Fort Myers Beach.We did not have time as it was at Christmas and needed to get there as we had only 9 days.This trip will be more relaxing as we will be off the I95 on the way back.Would love to hear from anyone else that could give us some ideas for stopping at.
Thanks Jim Barter

Ed Falis
05-20-2004, 10:31 AM
Jim,

This school wouldn't be far off your route at all:

The Furniture Institute of Massachusetts
116 Water Street
Beverly MA 01915
Director: Philip C. Lowe
Phone: 978-922-0615
Email: furnitur@shore.net
Home page: www.furnituremakingclasses.com

You might want to check whether they allow visitors or have a workshop that coincides with your plans. If so, I live two towns over in Ipswich (falis@verizon.net).

- Ed

Bill Grumbine
05-20-2004, 11:38 AM
I don't know if it will work out to fit your plans, but the Five Barns Picnic will be taking place in eastern PA on July 30 and 31. Many posters from this and other forums will be here at our place for food fun and fooling around in the shop.

Bill

Lee Schierer
05-20-2004, 12:17 PM
Don't forget the Grumbine Campground and campfire evenets.