PDA

View Full Version : Material for Redwood Deck

Matt Benton
10-09-2008, 10:46 AM
I am planning to build a redwood deck, and was wondering if 8/4 S4S is necessary for the top, or if I can go with 6/4 or even 5/4? Additionally, am I likely to have a problem with bowing using 6" wide boards instead of 4"?

btw, I live in N. Texas.

This is my first project of this magnitude, so if you have any other advise, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Tom Veatch
10-09-2008, 11:38 AM
Decking cross section and joist spacing are interrelated. Closer the joists, the thinner/narrower the decking can be. Check you local codes for the minimum requirements. I used redwood 2x6 material on 2' joist spacing for my deck and haven't noticed problems with warpage.

Never considered anything other than construction heart for the decking and, AFAIK, it's only available in the 2x sizes (1.5" actual) around here. Not sure I'd want to go thinner even if it is/was available.

Lee DeRaud
10-09-2008, 12:15 PM
I am planning to build a redwood deck, and was wondering if 8/4 S4S is necessary for the top, or if I can go with 6/4 or even 5/4? Additionally, am I likely to have a problem with bowing using 6" wide boards instead of 4"?

btw, I live in N. Texas.FWIW, my dad used to build custom decks in that area (Arlington) back in the early '80s. He used 2x stock for the decking but it was basically because it was easier to get in long lengths than the thinner stock.

And he preferred 2x6 over 2x4 because (and I quote), "there's fewer cracks for the scorpions to crawl up through". :eek::eek::eek:

Matt Benton
10-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Thanks for the replies, guys!