PDA

View Full Version : Wing Nuts... It's time!

Greg Cole
10-09-2008, 10:25 AM
Time for raising the banner on #11 and time to drop the puck on 08-09.
The Summer of Stanley has passed and the title defense starts now (ok well not for another 8 or so hours).
Denny Rice and Keith Starosta will know exactly what I mean here.... the few other puckheads 'round here will know too. Even the Stars fan in Jim O'Dell will have to acknowledge...LOLOL (Just picking Jim! :p).
Center Ice package is ready, beer is in the fridge...... and I can now ignore any other sport exists. Foot...what? Base...huh? Time for the coolest game on earth!

GO WINGS.

Cheers.
G

Andy Pedler
10-10-2008, 12:14 AM
Go Wings! While I live in the bay area now, I grew up in Michigan and love the Red Wings. As much as it was fun to grow up watching Stevie Y and the gang, I like the new crew led by Datsyuk and Z. Those guys can skate like few players I've ever seen.

Let's keep the Stanley Cup right where it belongs. :)

Andy - Newark, CA

Jim Becker
10-10-2008, 6:33 AM
Hmmm....for a minute I thought I was going to have to move this thread to some other forum that discusses hardware. :D :D :D

Dennis Peacock
10-10-2008, 6:44 AM
Hardware?? I thought it was time for some "hot wings". :p :D

Greg Cole
10-10-2008, 7:59 AM
Hmmm....for a minute I thought I was going to have to move this thread to some other forum that discusses hardware. :D :D :D

Hard heads maybe.... then again some fans wear a foam "Wing Nut" on their heads similar to the Cheese Heads in WI.... that count?

Dennis,
I know, I know, I know... this is football country in the middle of the mid-west and all. Maybe not a good year to mention the Cheifs here in KC though..... ah well least the MU Tigers are worthy of mention.

Brent Ring
10-10-2008, 9:56 AM
Go Wings! Absolutely - Even in UT!

Sean Troy
10-10-2008, 10:02 AM
Lets see how much I can stir up :)....... Hmmmm, oh yeah, even the Cyotes can beat the Wings !

Lee Schierer
10-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Note for Jim Becker: This probably belongs on the woodworking forum as hockey sticks, at least some of them, are made from ash and hickory!

Where can I get one of those Red Wing Nut hats?

Chris Padilla
10-10-2008, 11:29 AM
Avalanche all the way...but not likely this year....

Greg Cole
10-10-2008, 3:41 PM
Note for Jim Becker: This probably belongs on the woodworking forum as hockey sticks, at least some of them, are made from ash and hickory!

Where can I get one of those Red Wing Nut hats?

Lee,
I've only ever seen them for sale at Joe Louis Arena.

Chris,
Them there's fightin' words.....;)
But the sortid past is exactly that, the 4 game sweep of the Av's last year was the final nail in the rivalries coffin.

Sean,
Thats just funny.

Brett,
We're everywhere......

Mike DeHart
10-10-2008, 4:46 PM
The Summer of Stanley has passed and the title defense starts now (ok well not for another 8 or so hours).

GO WINGS.

Cheers.
G

What is this "Stanley" thing you speak of? :confused:

Mike (in Buffalo....)

Jim O'Dell
10-10-2008, 6:21 PM
Yeah, I'm ready for the Stars. The puck drops here!!!!! I'll likely miss part of the game, as I have a wall that needs to be skim coated with mud tonight. Hmmmm. Wonder If I can put it off 'til tomorrow. Should be able to texture both ceilings and the walls in the Pink Room, and still put a skim coat on the entry wall that needs it. It would all dry about the same time so I can paint on Sunday. You got me scheming here. I'll see if I can get it past the wife when she finishes teaching!
I guess I could do some during the intermissions and stay up late finishing if need be. :D Jim.

David Cramer
10-10-2008, 8:31 PM
I kinda feel bad. I live in Michigan and there are "outta staters" who are more into them than me:eek:!

I do watch them every now and then, but without Bob Probert on the team, it just isn't the Wings (even though they never won a Stanely Cup with him as a Red Wing player). When someone picked on Stevie Y., it was fun hearing Mickey Redmond say, "look out fellas, the Sheriff's in town", as Bob Probert skated over to let his presence be known:D.

Living in Michigan, I got to see him more than a few times and one thing really surprised me. He was frickin funny, but the dude smoked for quite some time while he played. It just didn't look right with him smoking a cigarette.

Sorry to the original poster, Mr. Cole, if I swayed too much off the topic, but it certainly shows what a high payroll can do for a roster (thanks Mr. Illitch). The Wings have really seemed to get some great players the past decade and I am amazed at the talent they constantly bring in. When I do get a chance to watch a game (married, 2 kids) Zetterberg and Datsyuk are simply amazing to watch. They are a notch and a half ahead of so many players in what they can do with the puck it's just fun to watch, even if the wings win or lose.

Just one man's opinion. Hey if they win the cup or not, I still got my :)workshop:) to go out to!

David

p.s. I still miss Bob Probert and it wasn't the fights, it was his presence. D. Hatcher wouldn't tangle with him when he played on Dallas, and he's a big boy (who happened to go to school in Sterling Heights, a stones throw away). I believe he's still got a restaurant in Utica called Hatchy's, but I'm not positive. Take care!

Denny Rice
10-11-2008, 1:59 AM
Zetterburg is the most underated player in the NHL today for the longest time no one took the Wings seriously because they are loaded with Swed's. The Red Wings have probably the smartest GM and front office in Hockey today. GO WINGS!

Denny Rice
10-12-2008, 1:44 AM
Denny Rice and Keith Starosta will know exactly what I mean here.... the few other puckheads 'round here will know too. Even the Stars fan in Jim O'Dell will have to acknowledge...LOLOL (Just picking Jim! :p).
Center Ice package is ready, beer is in the fridge...... and I can now ignore any other sport exists. Foot...what? Base...huh? Time for the coolest game on earth!

GO WINGS.

Cheers.
G

Amen Greg! GO WINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Greg Cole
10-12-2008, 9:27 AM
David,
I went to the Stevie Y retirement night... was EPIC to say the least.
The mention of Probie made me have to share... the 2nd biggest standing O for the night other than Stevie's intro and stroll down the red carpet was that of The Sherriff... Probie. Still looks like ya'd wanna cross the street if he was looking for ya.... cross the street and RUN!!! Don't forget Joey Kocur either...
Today's NHL is a bit more kind n gentle... but still nice to have someone to "keep the flies off" the talent. McCarty and Downey can serve up on ice justice when they play that is.
Swedes, Finns... Canadians... even an American or two...
I will admit this time of year I'm quite prone to having the TV on in the shop plugged into the Center Ice channels. Hearing Wings games from anyone other than Ken n Mick just sounds wrong.

Cheers to the Wing Nation.

G

David Cramer
10-13-2008, 7:40 AM
Hey there Greg!

Keeping the flies off the talent about sums it up correctly! I was never into watching anyone get beaten or seriously hurt, but when guys purposely went up against Probert and they were close in size, it was fun to watch them attempt to do what they couldn't. Some gave him a battle, Domi is just one example and he was an absolute animal, but Probert was the premier enforcer during his time.

The story goes that Probert, Kocur, and Grimson were all in a Detroit Lobby Hotel before signing with the Wings and were just sitting and talking, knowing that the Wings only wanted 2 of them, not 3. The irony of it is that Grimson eventually ended up playing for Detroit and Probert ended up in Chicago. And you are correct, Kocur was one tough cookie. Watching a game years ago, Gallant was in a corner and a Toronto player was trying to get him "to go". The television microphones were picking up very clearly that night. Kocur is on the ice and comes skating over and just holds the guy against the glass. Then on camera you can hear Gallant say "oh yeah, you don't want to fight Kocur do ya, but you wanna fight me. Go ahead fight Kocur, he's right there. Come on tough guy!". It was clear as day. The annoucers were both laughing and it was Hockey Night in Canadian, Channel 9!

As far as Yzerman's retirement, my brother-in-law taped it and I have yet to watch it, but being there must have been huge.

You're right, the game is played way differently now, but the Swedes have made it fun to watch, that's for sure. The Wings have about 6 or 7 Swedes if I remember correctly and they do things with the puck that I just have never seen before they entered the NHL.

My kids are still young and life is rather busy with all of the "activities of the 21st century kid", but I do watch a game now and then, or I just try to catch Don Shane with the results on the late news.

As far as Mickey Redmond goes, if he wasn't annoucing, it would sound wrong. I met him at a Barnes & Nobles or Border's Book Store signing (I forget which one, it was in Oakland County) a few years back and man does that guy have the stories. You should have been there Greg, not me. You could have pulled up a chair and really heard about the old days. He's funny, kind, and even chattier than me:D, if that's possible.

Thanks for your Red Wing post and yes "Go Wings", but........I really like being in my shop, a lot! I've gotten the wordworking bug, and it's bad so sports have taken a back seat. Mr. Lee Schierer has given me a really good push to get my wife's jewelry box done before Christmas, so that takes precedent over everything else. Also, I don't currently have a tv in the shop anyways. Take care!

David

Drew Lavis
10-13-2008, 11:25 AM
I'm a Sabres fan, but I have to respect the Red Wings. They are consistenly at or near the top of the league like no other team. Watching my team go from the President's Trophy to out of the playoffs last year underscores how difficult that is in today's NHL.

But the Leafs? Did they know pre-season was over? :D

Also, what did you Red Wing fans think of Hasek while you had him? They guy was magic between the pipes, but rather divisive off the ice.

Chris Padilla
10-13-2008, 3:07 PM
Ugh, 0-2 start for this Av's fan but they've lost 'em both by a goal so all it not lost yet! :D

Lee DeRaud
10-13-2008, 3:15 PM
Hmmm....for a minute I thought I was going to have to move this thread to some other forum that discusses hardware. :D :D :DAm I the only one who things "wingnut" is a singularly appropriate synonym for "hockey fan"? :cool:

David Cramer
10-13-2008, 3:18 PM
Oh the rivalry between the Av's and Wings, does it still exist? I've been out of the loop for a while.

I remember Claude trying his best to show Draper up close what type of wood the side boards are constructed with. Claude was too persistent and finally insisted that Draper get an up close view of the those boards...........OUCH! He knows now........some type of hard wood:D!
As Mickey Redmond said, he didn't know whether or not to wind his watch or go to the bathroom after that hit!!! Many years ago that was, so is there still a rivalry? I truely have no clue.

David

Greg Cole
10-13-2008, 4:05 PM
David,
You referring to Claude "the turtle" Lemieux? The one who'd lay on the ice covering himself up as Drape's good buddy McCarty gave him a healthy dose of what he deserved??? The rematch after Lemieux split Drapes mug wide open shoving him into the boards with the bench door open....March 26, 1997 just maybe...... best hockey game of all time. I will say the next time we played Claude at least stood toe to toe with Mac and took his deserved beat down like a man.:rolleyes:
We rolled over the Av's last year in the second round (SWEEP!!!) with no sense of a fight from them, to say the rivalry is dead is a sad thing to have to say. We don't have a direct replacement for the Av's on the rivalry list, but we've had a running dislike of the Quacks errr Ducks for a few years now. But man I miss the build up across the league on a Wing-Avs game night......
Drew,
Dom was a true head case. But I will say when we yanked him last year in favor of Ozzie, Dom never once caused a stink or whined about being benched. He was the ultimate teammate albeit the end of the road for his career.
Lee,
I won't speak for all puck fans, but most of us are nuts and have no issue with it. Only difference from a nut to a Wing Nut is one likes the "right" team and the rest don't.:D

David Cramer
10-14-2008, 10:18 AM
Hi Greg

Yes, I was exactly referring to the Lemieux/McCarty incidents of 1997. I was being nice and not giving the specifics as to spare Chris any hard feelings or bad memories over his beloved Avs:) (totally just funnin' ya Chris). Sidenote: I really enjoyed reading and following your Padilla Garage Gut and was very, very envious when you picked up a Minimax from someone near you. I really, really want one of those saws, BADLY!!! Unfortunately it's not currently in the budget and probably will never be, but a guy can dream can't he?

At the time both the Wings & Avs were very, very good teams that were close in talent, therefore either team could win depending on who was feeling their Cheerios that game. I truly had no idea or did not remember that the Wings swept them last year in the playoffs until your post mentioned it.

Like I said, I truly don't follow them like I did in the 90's. Marriage and kids will do that to ya and I'm not complaining. My daughter (9 years old in 2 days) comes out in the shop and is truly interested in anything her Dad makes. That is truly were I put my energy these days and sports have gladly taken a backseat. Although I will agree that watching the highlights on the 11:00 newscast has shown me that Zetterberg is an amazing and gifted player, I'd still rather be in the shop with my kids or throwing around a ball in the backyard. Sorry, I know that wasn't what this thread was about, but I just had to get that in there.

I honestly would rather watch Tim Yoder's woodturning show on PBS than watch the Superbowl, and I'm serious. If you would have asked me that 15 years ago I would not have answered the same way. But with age, marriage, and kids, comes change. I actually get a "real good feeling" when I make something and it turns out good, even if it's just a vanity. An easy project well executed is good enough for this guy.

Hey, maybe this should be a seperate thread? Sorry Greg, but your post on the Wings made me think about the last 10 plus years of my life, how things change and how what was important then, now has less meaning today. A little Tuesday morning reflection:) if that's okay?

Take care and work safely:).

David

p.s. Hey wait, this is an Off Topic post in an Off Topic Forum, so it might be acceptable:).

Greg Cole
10-14-2008, 11:05 AM
David,
I pick up what you're putting down about the last 10 years... some of my priorities are definately realigned. 'Tis a long story, but anyway I've been raising a little boy for nearly 6 1/2 years now... a DVR has gone a long way to helping me watch games when time allows & being able to rip through the commercials makes a game MUCH shorter and easier to watch after the little dude's off to bed. Once in awhile he'll watch a game with me as well.
I don't have any other sport I even care about, I pay attention to Nascar with one eye 1/2 open per say, no baseball nor football... it's puck n puck only here.
BTW, letting up on an Av's fan... geeesh. Almost like a Yanks fan cheering for the BoSox....:confused: LOLOL.

Greg

Leigh Costello
10-15-2008, 11:47 PM
psst...the Blues will be back someday, just you wait and wait and wait....:o

Greg Cole
10-16-2008, 8:59 AM
psst...the Blues will be back someday, just you wait and wait and wait....:o

Hope you are as patient as a few generations of Red Sox fans...:D

Leigh Costello
10-18-2008, 1:42 AM
Well Greg, I will have you know patience is my middle name. I only yell hurry up at the microwave once or twice a week. And besides, the record is 3 and 1. For now. :D

Greg Cole
10-18-2008, 11:23 AM
Of all things in this world there's little else Blues fans dislike as much as anything involving winged wheels.....;) ....Some old John Casey-Stevie Y thing...?
I have to say the receptions I've had in the old Kiel Center & what's the Scott Trade Center now..??? Security Guard told me he was going to toss me out... pretzels bouncing off me in the stands.... vendor says he won't sell me a beer til I take the Wings jersey off.
Geeze.. in Denver a pilot for United tried to tell me I couldn't board his plane b/c my Wings hat....?:rolleyes:
All in the name of fun... tho some fans in San Jose last year didn't seem to appreciate the colors one bit.
Tis a long season and we all have bumps in the road ahead. I almost hate to admit, but I'm pulling for CHI and STL to both improve (won't ever say that about Nashville tho).. makes the 6 divisional games better as it's all about the points every night, no filler games.

Cheers n G'luck.

Keith Starosta
10-20-2008, 8:59 PM
Man, I can't believe I haven't seen this thread before tonight!!! :eek: :rolleyes:

As a born-n-bread Detroit Boy, I live and die, wake and breath my Wings. Since moving out here to Central VA in 2001, one of the things that I miss most about home is the excitement surrounding the Red Wings. Can't wait to see what this season brings!

- Keith

Greg Cole
10-20-2008, 9:44 PM
Marion Hossssssssssssa breaks his goose egg as a Wing in OT....:D
Sawwwweeet, just getting a little chemistry going. This team is still looking for its mojo... but when we get it, we're going to be gooooooood.;) Still a long season, but just sayin.

Greg

Leigh Costello
10-20-2008, 11:57 PM
Hey y'all, guess I will share mine and hubbies secret. Our first date was a Blues/Wings match way back in '87. I had won tickets to the game off of a radio station. During warm-ups a Wings player flicked a puck into the seats. Hubby caught it and gave it to me. We were destined to be married-and the Blues won the game. So the Wings will always have a spot in my heart and a puck on my dresser. But the Blues have my "note" - sour or sweet. :p

Greg Cole
10-21-2008, 8:53 AM
Leigh,
Cool story there, and you may well go down as the only 2 Blues fans that have a place in their hearts for the Wings... on a good note that is.;)
Trivial pursuit tome or curious minds... any idea whom it was that sent the puck over the glass?

Greg

Rod Sheridan
10-21-2008, 9:37 AM
I guess living in Hogtown I should be touting the Leafs, however they haven't had Lord Stanley's spitoon in their hot little hands since the centennial of Confederation.....Pretty sad.......regards, Rod.

Greg Cole
10-21-2008, 10:09 AM
Hi Rod,
Quite the sense of humor there....;)
Unfortunately for one of the most historic franchises in the game, there's little light if any at the end of a loooooon tunnel.
Hockey Night in Canada was epic in the days of Corson, Tucker, Roberts, Domi, Cujo....

Matt Ocel
10-21-2008, 8:50 PM
Wings?

Don't you mean squid or octopus?:eek:

P.S. Haven't watched pro hockey since the stars left the Northland.:mad:

Ben Davis
10-21-2008, 9:08 PM

GO WINGS.

Cheers.
G
To a guy from Florida (and not Tampa Bay), your post is nonsense! Glad you find something to do when you can't go to the beach in December and January. Now.... where's my palm tree with the Christmas lights??? Hmmm....

Chris Padilla
10-22-2008, 5:35 PM
Not bad, not bad: after starting out 0-3, the Avs picked up the next 3 games and are back to .500 so things are looking up....

Greg Cole
10-22-2008, 6:13 PM
Chris,
Budaj can't lose every game he starts.:rolleyes:
Rumor had the 'Lanche looking at picking up Kabibuhlin from Chi'town but haven't heard much there in the last few days.
Do you ever go to the Shark Tank to see any games? I usually make it out there once or twice a year.....

Leigh,
We're up against your Blues tonight... should be good. Neither club like the other much...and your guys are off to a great start.
I'll be tuning in shortly. Just hope I don't have to listen to Bernie Federko all night... sorry but he just plain grates on my nerves. And to think we traded Adam Oates to STL for Bernie Federko... gawd...

Chris Padilla
10-22-2008, 7:44 PM
Greg,

When the Avs are in town, I'm at the Shark Tank (aka HP Pavillion). Cap'n Joe Sakic doesn't have too many more games left in him so I take every chance to see him.

Chris Padilla
10-28-2008, 9:56 PM
5-0 since the 0-3 start!!! :D :D :D

Jamie Cowan
10-28-2008, 11:32 PM
Watching my Bruins play the Canucks right now. We're up 1-0 in the 2nd, and I hope it stays that way--my cousin lives in BC, and he is sure to gloat if the Bs lose.

Dean Karavite
10-29-2008, 9:32 PM
Who knew I would find hockey fans let alone Wings fans on a woodworking forum. Now two obsessions are combined. I was born in Detroit, but moved out in 2001 for work. I now live in Philly, but the Wings are it for me. I have had center ice on cable and since 2001 have missed a handful of games. It's so bad, my wife who could care less about hockey can name almost the entire team by number. Pavel Datsyuk rules. I can't get enough of watching that guy play. Sick skills, just amazing.

Greg Cole
10-29-2008, 10:39 PM
Hi Dean.
Watching the Wings play Anahein now as I pulled staples from the subfloor for a new carpet install.
Wings nuts are everywhere.....even in the Creek.;)

Chris Padilla
10-30-2008, 10:30 AM
Despite my hatred for the Wings, hockey fans are hockey fans so I hope y'all don't mind me chiming in here about my beloved Avs! :D

I'm originally from Colorado and will always be an all-Colorado (Broncos, Rockies, Nuggets, Avs) sports fan. :)

Calgary cooled our 5 game win streak but the Avs look to start another one with Columbus....

Greg Cole
10-30-2008, 1:43 PM
Now now Chris.... ;)
I had a chance to go to the Tank for tonight's Wings game.. but something about my wife needing me around to move the furniture for a carpet installation....