PDA

View Full Version : Font with slashes through zeros?

Bill Jermyn
10-09-2008, 8:59 AM
Does anybody know of a font that has slashes through the zeros, or if there is an alt code to generate them?

Bill Jermyn
10-09-2008, 9:11 AM
Here is the font.

Mike Null
10-09-2008, 9:17 AM
Bill
You can pick those up from the symbol character menu under text in Corel
Select the font you want to use and open the docker it should appear.

If it doesn't you probably haven't selected it when you set up tool options. This takes only a couple of minutes to do. Roy Brewer's tutorials on his Engraving Concepts web site will tell you how.

Bill Jermyn
10-09-2008, 9:23 AM
Thank you Mike, I will check that out.

Can anybody identify the font in my second posting?

Mike Null
10-09-2008, 9:29 AM
Bill
My guess is that it's Arial. The fly in that ointment is the 9 but it looks handmade. You could do the same.

Notice that the 6 is normal looking so I'm wondering if what I called a 9 may be a q.

Doug Griffith
10-09-2008, 10:11 AM
Try this in any font, hold down the ALT key, type 0216 on the numeric keypad, then release the ALT key.

(on a Mac its option-O)

Cheers

Scott Shepherd
10-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Bill, to expand on what Mike's saying, those are all active characters in most fonts. You need to look at the character map and it will tell you how to make it. Looking under the "Insert Character" docker, scroll down and you'll find it. Click on the letter you want and it'll show you a code at the bottom. Something like "Alt #" and then some digits.

So in Arial, to make the O with a slash through it, you'd hold down the Alt key and type in 0216 and it'll make that character.

It's very common in electrical signage and it has a specific meaning (phase, I think, but I could be wrong).

Hope that adds to what Mike said and helps some.

Dang it, Doug beat me to it!

Doug Griffith
10-09-2008, 10:23 AM
By 3 minutes!

In math it is called an oslash.

Darren Null
10-09-2008, 11:29 AM
Try this in any font, hold down the ALT key, type 0216 on the numeric keypad, then release the ALT key.
Doesn't work for me. With the number lock on (awkward on laptops), ALT and a 3-figure number in the range 000-256 will pop up various characters. The arrangement depends on which country keyboard you're using.

Bill Jermyn
10-09-2008, 1:23 PM
Almost, Alt-0216 is an oh with a slash, not a zero.

Bill Jermyn
10-09-2008, 1:45 PM
I managed to do it, I just typed in a slash elsewhere on the page and moved it on top of the zero. It would be nice to have a font that already had the slashes though....

Doug Griffith
10-09-2008, 1:49 PM
Try this one:
http://www.dafont.com/crystal.font

Scott Shepherd
10-09-2008, 3:05 PM
That's very interesting, I've never seen any electrical tags with the zero's slashed out. In talking with the people we've worked with on them, we've always been told that it comes after things like 3Ø. Meaning 3 phase. I've not seen anyone call out the zero's with slashes.

Doug Griffith
10-09-2008, 3:12 PM
Call me a geek but if I hand write anything, which is rare, I always slash my zeros. Zs as well to differentiate them from 2s.

Scott Shepherd
10-09-2008, 3:27 PM
I do that too Doug, but in this case, I believe the slash has a meaning according to the code books, but I could be wrong.

James Rambo
10-09-2008, 5:17 PM
In this example it is a military character to differenciate it from an O the letter.

Mike Null
10-10-2008, 7:12 AM
I think this goes way back to the original IBM computers where the slash 0 was to differentiate a number from a letter.

Dan Hintz
10-10-2008, 7:51 AM
Call me a geek but if I hand write anything, which is rare, I always slash my zeros. Zs as well to differentiate them from 2s.
Geek :p

I do the same for zeros, but my writing is clear enough to differentiate between 2s and Zs. Must be my engineering background. Thank God I didn't pick up that silly script architects use after all of those buildings I designed...

Bill Jermyn
10-10-2008, 9:09 AM
Thanks, that's probably close enough.

Dave Bender
10-10-2008, 10:04 AM
The zero with a slash or a zero with a dot in it were used to differentiate zero from an O, very prevalent with IBM 370 applications and amature radio. A good representation of that is the Fixedsys or Fixedsys Excelsior fonts and the Monaco font. Some others to look at are Anadale Mono, Slashed Zero Arial, Crisp, Crystal, Glass Gauge, Ham, and Pro Font Windows.