PDA

View Full Version : formica.....a hidden treasure trove

Rodne Gold
10-09-2008, 8:21 AM
I notice almost no discussion of formica (countertop stuff)
This stuff is dirt cheap , comes in a zillion finishes , is rugged , can be laser cut (cept metallics) , can be laser engraved , can be paint filled , can be applied to curved objects.
Can be used as cladding , can be used as plaque facings , double sided as key tags, outdoor signage......uses are endless.
I think we pay less then $15 a sq m for it
We use a lot of metal finishes (cnc cut) and a lot of marbelized as well as granite and woodgrain finish.
http://samples.wilsonartcontract.com/c-16-the-standards.aspx
Will give an idea of whats out there.

Joe Pelonio
10-09-2008, 9:09 AM
I have used it, as well as the MDF covered with melamine. Most recently a lot of ADA signs have been done with Formica, Wilsonart etc. for decor, complimenting carpet and wall colors. I have done a few jobs with it applied to 1/4" acrylic for laser cut lettering. Contact cement is nasty, flammable stuff, so I use the latex/water based.

Doug Griffith
10-09-2008, 10:19 AM
I use the latex/water based.

I laminated some furniture and a bar at my house about 10 years ago with latex/water based adhesive (Wilsonart brand). It worked good for about 8 years but now, on hot days, the adhesive releases and the Formica lifts off at the edges. I can press it back down again and it holds. I'm not sure if the adhesive has gotten better but this would be bad for business.

Cheers

Mark Winlund
10-09-2008, 10:30 AM
The glossy white makes for really durable name tags and labels.

Mark

Marc Myer
10-09-2008, 12:38 PM
Have you tried the metallic surfaces? Are they laserable?

Joe Pelonio
10-09-2008, 1:00 PM
Yes and no. :D

There are some that are all plastic, much like Rowmark on the surface. They also do have it in real metal which is much more expensive and not laserable.

Larry Bratton
10-09-2008, 2:12 PM
I have used it, as well as the MDF covered with melamine. Most recently a lot of ADA signs have been done with Formica, Wilsonart etc. for decor, complimenting carpet and wall colors. I have done a few jobs with it applied to 1/4" acrylic for laser cut lettering. Contact cement is nasty, flammable stuff, so I use the latex/water based.
Joe:
Isn't Formica a plastic? How about a cement like Weldon #16 for gluing to acrylic? I use #16 all the time for PVC and acrylic. It sticks PVC to Extira with a good bond also. I like it because with what I do, it's easier for me than Weldon #3 for acrylic to acrylic too. I like the idea of using it for ADA. I think it is like .04 thick and ADA requires 1/32 or .03125. Lowes sells a white 48x96 sheet for $43.00 which is like $1.35 a sq ft..cheap for sure.

Joe Pelonio
10-09-2008, 2:22 PM
Joe:
Isn't Formica a plastic? How about a cement like Weldon #16 for gluing to acrylic? I use #16 all the time for PVC and acrylic. It sticks PVC to Extira with a good bond also. I like it because with what I do, it's easier for me than Weldon #3 for acrylic to acrylic too. I like the idea of using it for ADA. I think it is like .04 thick and ADA requires 1/32 or .03125. Lowes sells a white 48x96 sheet for $43.00 which is like $1.35 a sq ft..cheap for sure.
Formica and other high pressure laminates actually are made with paper, impregnated with resins and plastic on the face (good side). I don't think an acrylic cement would work with it. As for the ADA letters, yes, it would work, but the edges of the letters are going to be brownish, while the Rowmark ADA material is the same color all the way through.

Larry Bratton
10-09-2008, 6:05 PM
Yes, Joe, your right on the ADA, edges would be brownish.

I'll do a little test sometime with the Weldon 16, just out of curiosity.

Rodne Gold
10-10-2008, 1:10 AM
We apply sheets of 3m double sided ultra high bond tape to the back of the formica and laser cut right thru , never had a formica application fail or come adrift.

Michael Bareno
10-10-2008, 9:44 AM
Rodne,
I have tried a formica piece with my laser (35w) and I had a hard time vector cutting. It would raster with good contrast, but when cutting the edges would char and i really had to slow the laser down at full power to get through. After that I abandoned my formica experiment.
After reading this i believe that maybe that it was that particular formica I tried that's the problem. I will try to get a hold of some pieces to test with.
Thanks.

Joe Pelonio
10-10-2008, 11:17 AM
Go to home depot and lowes and grab a handful of samples to test on.

Marc Myer
10-10-2008, 11:36 AM
I contacted the good people at Wilsonart and asked about the metals. They said they are laserable, but require at least a 200 watt laser or a YAG laser to cut.
I also noted that they stipulate that they are for horizontal use only, and not for outdoor use.

Still looking for that magical chrome finish that easily laserable and durable. Rowmark is getting closer...

Michael Bareno
10-10-2008, 6:11 PM
Go to home depot and lowes and grab a handful of samples to test on.

Too bad we don't have either of those here in Aruba. I will check out my local hardware store and try to get some samples.
Thanks

John Noell
10-10-2008, 9:02 PM
If you have a local hardware store that stocks either, you are ahead of us! We can order it from the main island but selection is quite limited

Garrick Crocker
11-28-2008, 10:31 PM
can be paint filled

what's the easiest way to paint it?

Mike Null
11-29-2008, 6:59 AM
I've been having a hard time finding anybody who stocks it. HD and Lowe's will order it but I need pure white with a black core and they don't offer that color.

Anybody got ideas. Kichen suppliers have scraps but not white.

Dave Johnson29
11-29-2008, 8:40 AM
I need pure white with a black core and they don't offer that color.

Mike, I am not sure of the substrate color, but check this link and see if you can find a local distributor...

http://www.nevamar.com/nevamar/pages_nevamar/nevamar_solids_1.php

Mike Null
11-29-2008, 9:03 AM
Davbe

Thanks, I am in contact with them but I'm looking for Formica rather than phenolic. I've called the distributors they (Nevamar)recommended and, can you believe, the distributors say they don't stock the items.

I'm just looking for some samples to test--the phenolic from Nevamar works but I was hoping to find lower priced easier to use material.

Dave Johnson29
11-29-2008, 10:29 AM
I've called the distributors they (Nevamar)recommended and, can you believe, the distributors say they don't stock the items.

Ha ha, not wishing to laugh at your distress, but that happened to me earlier this week with some CD-burning software. I contacted 3 of the 5 "distributors" and none of them had even heard of the software.

Beats me.

Rodne Gold
11-29-2008, 10:33 AM
Flood fill , scrape off excess with a straight edge of a stiff piece of cardboard, allow to semi dry and wipe off excess with meths. Use a piece of flanel wrapped round something flat so you don't scoop the painted inner.
Formica comes brown inside, the laser burns it black anyway. Boot polish would proably work too if you havent got paint.

Kevin L. Waldron
11-29-2008, 4:00 PM
We use formica and melamine alot for artwork. It holds great details. I am including a battle scene that we have done- hope it shows the true details.

Kevin Waldron

Jackie McGowan
12-02-2008, 12:53 AM
I too had a really hard time vector cutting. I only have a 25W laser and I can't get through without charring. It's too bad cause I was looking for something thin, strong and colorful like this to make some jewelry. Is it possible it's just too strong for the lower powered lasers to get a good cut without charring?