PDA

View Full Version : I tip my hat to Todd Burch!

Jim Izat
03-12-2003, 3:23 PM
<b>Prompted by Todd's belt sander poll below, I am humbled to admit that I hadn't thought of using my belt sander for quite some time. But today I had the perfect use for it. So out it came and it was doing a fine job, saving me tons of time until,,,, It died!

Darn thing. It's just about brand new, couldn't be much more than 20 years old. It was a Craftsman, but I'm probably not going to get another one. I don't think they make em like that anymore. I have a dozen or so 3x21 belts, but I doubt new sanders are in that size. Before I go to HD and Lowes to get a replacement, anybody got any suggestions? What's the easiest size belt to get in the broadest range of grit sizes (50-220)?

<font color = blue>Thanks for the help,

Jim Izat</b></font>

Dave Arbuckle
03-12-2003, 4:17 PM
"but I doubt new sanders are in that size"

What makes you doubt that, Jim? I bet Porter-Cable's most popular belt sander is the PC352VS, 21x3. I sure like mine.

On an unasked-for personal note, that bright red on gray text sure is hard to read...

Dave

Jim Izat
03-12-2003, 4:20 PM
Thanks Dave. For some reason I thought I'd read that newer sanders used either 4 inch wide or 24 inch long belts. Glad to hear about the PC. I'll see if I can find me one.

Jim

Dave Avery
03-12-2003, 4:35 PM
Jim,

Coastal Tool (www.coastaltool.com) has the PC 352VS for $159 - the best price I've seen. I bought one recently and like it very much. Dave.

Lincoln Myers
03-12-2003, 4:43 PM
I have the Bosch 1274DVS and like and use it a lot... it is a 3x21

http://www.boschtools.com/Tools+and+Accessories/Tools/prod_detail.htm?item_no=1274DVS

Howard Barlow
03-12-2003, 4:49 PM
I have an old 4" Craftsman you can have. I love my PC352VS 3x21.

Todd Burch
03-12-2003, 7:41 PM
Well Jim, thanks for the kudos!

I have two belt sanders - twin Ryobi 3X21 sanders. What's nice about using two sanders of the same vintage, is the feel.

When I sand, I get both out. I'll load one with 80 grit and other with 100 grit. After the 80 has done it's job, I set it down to cool while I have at with with 100. And, since they are the same, they have the same feel and balance. Now, it is rare that I gouge or divot work, unless my cord gets snagged while I'll moving it, causing me to put undo pressure on the rear wheel - kind of like doing a wheely on a bike.

With the "brick" style Ryobis, I can clamp them on their sdies, or upside down, and have a mini edge sander.

AND, about 3 years ago, I came in second place in the local belt sander races and won a Hitachi M12V!!

Todd.

Jim Izat
03-12-2003, 8:05 PM
Based on the recommendations above I went out with my son and got me a PC 352VS, mostly because I knew I could get it locally and I couldn't proceed with the project at hand until I did. It was fun to explain to my seven year old that the tool corral at the local HD and Lowes were among the best places in town. He picked up the 352 and it's bigger cousin the 362 and told me that I oughta go with the smaller one because my hands would "get tired too quick" with the heavier one.

He's well on his way.....

Many thanks to all,

Jim Izat