PDA

View Full Version : Berger style scoop

Bob Hamilton
10-09-2008, 12:21 AM
Hi:
I decided to try one of the scoops Soren Berger demo'd on the Woodworking Channel. This one is quite a bit smaller than his, at 4" long overall and a scoop 1 3/4" in diameter. The wood is black walnut.

It was much easier than I expected. :D

Thanks for looking
Bob

Leo Van Der Loo
10-09-2008, 12:28 AM
Well done Bob, good looking scoop :), I do have the write-up of the how-to and seen one made, but never got around to making one :o, maybe some day ;-))

David Walser
10-09-2008, 12:37 AM
Bob,

You've added another item to my list of things I'm going to turn someday. That looks like a nice scoop and looks like it would be fun to turn. Thanks for sharing.

Brian Kight
10-09-2008, 2:58 AM
Nice scoop. I just turned my first one Sunday night out of a cedar branch. It was fun with a little sweating with that handle whipping around. Yours has a bit more style and grace though.

Jean Lebraud
10-09-2008, 3:12 AM
Nicely done, Bob!
Just have a question: do you used the same chucking system Soren showed in his video?
I'm not so confident in this way of chucking and I'm looking from some other solution. Jean-Claude

Jack Mincey
10-09-2008, 7:13 AM
Bob,
Looks great. I made a couple in the spring and enjoyed it a lot. His chucking system works great.
Jack

Steve Schlumpf
10-09-2008, 7:23 AM
Very nice work Bob! I really like the style of this one! Nice photo too!

Bob Hamilton
10-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Hi, all, and thanks.

Jean-Claude, I did not use the same chucking system as Soren used on his video. It seemed to me that doing it that way would require making a whole new cup chuck for each scoop unless they were identical in size. I mounted pieces of 2" thick white pine on my flat jaws installed on my Supernova II chuck. With the jaws closed I turned a recess slightly smaller in diameter than the scoop sphere and a bit more than half as deep as the scoop diameter. I then opened the jaws and used a bench chisel to take the corners off two adjacent pine pieces to make a notch for the handle so the scoop would sit deeper into the chuck. It gave me a secure grip and will be usable on scoops that are of a similar, but not necessarily identical size.

Take care
Bob

Steve Mawson
10-09-2008, 11:22 AM
Anyone have the site of the demo. Looks very interesting.

Bill White
10-09-2008, 1:35 PM

Would really like to see that done.
Bill

Joshua Dinerstein
10-09-2008, 2:41 PM

Yeah. It is here:
http://www.woodworkingchannel.com/dolphin/vidego_video_library.php

You go to videos -> video library -> AAW then most of the way down the list of the videos on the right to "Soren Berger Scoops".

But having said this I had never seen the video before or the scoops. Now that I have I must say I am impressed and honestly can't wait to try one myself!

I had just been the site looking for Andre Martel's demo of the Raffan back-cut.

Joshua

Bernie Weishapl
10-09-2008, 10:22 PM
Bob well done. That is a nice looking scoop.