PDA

View Full Version : Mitered corners on media stand

Eric Mims
10-09-2008, 12:20 AM
A buddy is making some sort of media cabinet (CD/DVD).. it has no doors, just a set of 5 stands about 4' tall. The sides will be made from solid mahogany and about 7" deep I think. He wants to miter the corners and was thinking of using a lock miter bit, but he'd have to build a table to use my router in just to do that. I recommended just gluing them and using some mechanical fasteners... do you guys think those 23 gauge pins with standard yellow wood glue would be strong enough? We're talking only the 4 corners of the tall box. Shelves would use standard shelf pins.

How would you do it? I also told him he would use screws or bigger fasteners and plug the holes. I just think the lock miter is a lot of trouble since he doesn't have a table or even a router.

Tom Veatch
10-09-2008, 1:48 AM
If I were doing it under those conditions, I'll give serious consideration to a splined or keyed end miter joint:

http://www.woodworkdetails.com/Knowledge/Joints/Case/End-Miter.aspx

I'm not sure that those light gauge pins would add enough strength to the joint to be noticed. But, I've never used them so factor that into my opinion. I have had good success with splined end miters.

Karl Brogger
10-09-2008, 8:19 AM
If I understand you correctly, just mitre it on the tables saw. Anytime I have a pannelled end it gets mitred to the faceframe. Glue and crosspin you'll be fine. The nails are just there to hold it untill the glue sets anyway.

Bill White
10-09-2008, 8:26 AM
23 ga. is fine for small stuff, but when I use mine on bigger projects, they are just for initial alignment 'til the glue sets. Lock miter will be there forever.
Bill