PDA

View Full Version : New Workbench finished...pics

Tim Null
10-08-2008, 11:00 PM
I finally fully finished my bench.

This is my first real woodworking project. I had seen plans for easier to build benches, but I wanted the whole nine yards...LOL

Full maple. Cost a bit, but in the end I think it was worth it. I made plenty of mistakes, but figured out how to fix or cover them up!

I used a 9" front vise and a Veritas end vice. I think I will add some more dog holes though.

I made drawers for the underside, maple fronts. Box joint baltic birch drawers.

I chickened out when it came to the joinery for the skirts. The plans called for large hand cut half blind dovetails.........wow.

I couldn't bring myself to learn to cut dovetails on this. I will try some simple boxes first, and not with expensive 1 3/4" maple.

So I used a rabbeted and doweled joint. The short ends are dadoed with a tongue cut into the table top. Then the long ends are glued and doweled in both directions.

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h76/tnull5/TimsShop014.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h76/tnull5/TimsShop016.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h76/tnull5/TimsShop017.jpg

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h76/tnull5/TimsShop015.jpg

And since you guys liked my gunstocks so much, here is a pic of one that is in the sanding phase:

http://i61.photobucket.com/albums/h76/tnull5/TimsShop018.jpg

TimN

Alan DuBoff
10-09-2008, 12:46 AM
Tim,

Great looking bench, I have always like this bench that Lon Schleining designed/built in FWW #167. I had been planning to build this bench for a long time, it really seemed that it would fit my needs, I even had much of the wood cut to build it, had the hardware, and as I procrastinated, Chris Schwarz built his Holtzappfel, and that bench really took me as being a great design that would adapt well to the work I do. So, I changed course in the middle, designed a bench similar to the Holtzappfel using the same materials I had on hand for this style bench with a couple twists.

Most benches are a personal tool, and no matter what style, if the bench doesn't adapt to the work we do, most of us adapt to the bench to accomplish what we need to.

This bench which you have built will last a long, long time...as I'm pretty sure mine will also. Any quality bench will last a long, long time...the key is in building a quality bench. To do so takes a bit of work, and this particular project is one that lingers on for most folks for what seems like forever.

Congratulations on a job well done!

May you get a lot of use out of your bench, and then some! :)

Craig T. Smith
10-09-2008, 3:34 AM
Tim, Fantastic job on the bench. Nice tight joinery. What wood did you use on the drawer fronts . Really like the contrast to the maple. I also like to see dowels show. Nice work on the rifle stock. Job well done. Craig

John Keeton
10-09-2008, 3:53 AM
I made drawers for the underside, maple fronts.
Tim, great job. Craig commented on the drawer fronts, and I had to reread your post as I thought they looked like walnut. Did you dye them? Very good contrast.

By the way, doing a bench for your "first real woodworking project" is a wise move. Most of us woodwork for many years before finally getting around to this - your bench will serve you well!

Bill White
10-09-2008, 8:58 AM
Since you didn't use dovetails, I think you should ship me the "starter" bench and then build another for yourself.
Bill

Tim Null
10-09-2008, 9:28 AM
LOL!.......This thing weighs a ton! Shipping would be an arm and a leg.

I think I will keep this one, flaws and all.

The drawer fronts are walnut. Danish oil, thinned with turpintine a bit, was used on the whole thing.

My end vice face is also walnut. Looks great, but was the result of a mistake.

I went to route the dado for the tongue and set the router bit too high for the first pass.

So the board actually moved the fence and the dado was all over the board.

I planed the piece down till the dado was removed. Then since I had no more maple, I cut a 3/4" piece of walnut to match, which was the exact thickness I needed to get the piece back to original size.

A little glue and some clamps......and a two tone vice face!

The dog holes on top of it are also fun. Grabbed the 7/8" bit and did not notice. When I test fit the dogs, they rattled.......not good.

So I cut some 7/8" birch dowel and plugged the holes and tried again, this time with a 3/4" bit. Fit fine!.......LOL

All in all, I learned a lot. Thanks for the kind words. I just hope to someday produce work in the same league as what I see posted here.

TimN

Don Bullock
10-09-2008, 9:37 AM
Wow, another beautiful workbench thread. I'm convinced that a workbench will be my first major project in my new shop. Hopefully it will come out looking as good as yours.:D

Tim Null
10-09-2008, 9:40 AM
I expect a story and pics when you are finished Don.

TimN

Chris Padilla
10-09-2008, 9:53 AM
Nice job, Tim! Mistakes and all, we're always learning. Welcome to Saw Mill Creek...we look forward to more of your projects! :)

Hank Knight
10-09-2008, 10:14 AM
Great bench Tim! It's hard to believe it's your first project. Everybody's bench has mistakes, but you live with them and they fade away with the enjoyment of using the bench. You're going to love it.
Again, very nice job on a beautiful bench.

Hank

Greg Cole
10-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Hi Tim,
Nice looking bench indeed. Oddly enough I was JUST tallying up what I am going to spend to rectify my bench situation.
Inspiration to get my posterior in gear and not just plan for it.

Thanks!
Greg

Tim Null
10-09-2008, 10:22 AM
Thanks Hank,

At first the mistakes really irritated me.

But as I worked at fixing them, I realized that I learned more from them than the things that went smoothly.

All in all, I am very pleased with how it came out.

TimN

John Willoughby
10-09-2008, 10:41 AM
Tim
you did a great job! and you build gun stocks as well, what is not to like about all of the above!!!