PDA

View Full Version : A Buddy

Dale Thompson
05-17-2004, 8:58 PM
Hi Folks,
Thanks for coming over. What I am going to say may sound corny or silly to some of you. That is certainly your privilege. It is still a free country. If you have no pets or have no feeling for animals, you will be wasting your time by reading any further. I thank you anyway for honoring me by taking a look.

They say that it helps to share your grief with your friends and family. I feel fortunate to think that I have many friends on SMC. This morning, May 17th in the Year of our Lord 2004, my daughter, along with our first grandchild, drove up from her home just south of Milwaukee. At 11:00AM this morning, she and my wife took my shop buddy and pal of eighteen years to the local vet for her last trip. I know that I should have taken my cat Cupid over there myself. I am ashamed to admit that I was just too weak of a person to do it. In fact, it would not have been possible. I would have walked into a point-blank machine gun barrage before I would have walked into the Vet’s office with my “Buddy”.

Being a cat, over the eighteen years of her life, she and I have had many bloody battles. I would guess that it would take a fuel tanker to contain all of the blood that has been shed. On this day, however, I thank GOD that not a SINGLE drop of it was hers. As I was trying to stem the crimson flow and waiting for the paramedics to arrive, she would go and get her brush and, always purring, would expect me to brush out any fur that had been displaced during the massacre. I always did. My friends may not recognize me without all of the scratches on my arms. I may have to get a new Social Security number and a new Zip Code to reestablish my identity.

With regard to her duties as my “shop Buddy”, I’m not sure that I can deal with the shop without her. Who is going to listen to the wood and let me know when by saw blade is getting dull or when the wall of my bowl is getting a bit thin? Who is going to find those little drill bits, screws and other things which have a habit of falling off the work bench and mysteriously finding a “hiding place” undiscoverable to humans?

She never liked the noise of the shop vac or the compressor. Since the compressor has a small leak and kicks on every seven or eight hours, she always made sure that the switch was turned “off” whenever it was not in use. She also made sure that my shop would meet the minimum standards of the fire inspector should he ever visit. When my wife found traces of sawdust in the family room that were the shape of a cat’s paw, I would be reminded that my shop needed some “serious” cleaning.

Right now, I don’t have a functional shop without her. I think that I am going to “pop” the main breaker for a while and see if I can figure out how to run it without her. In reality, I’m not sure that I can go in there anyway. It wouldn’t be safe. My vision is pretty blurred and I keep seeing three lines instead of one. I can’t figure out which one to hit. I think that I had better get my eyeglass prescription checked. Anyway, at least the circuit breaker will be surprised. It has never been “popped” before without seeing me with a screwdriver and a wire stripper in my hands trying to do some electrical “modifications”.

I think it’s time to head for the cabin and get away from computers, tools, machines and all that stuff. I DO have the new Jet mini up there but Cupid never had the time to read the directions to me so I don’t think that I can run it safely. I could run some laps on my 100’ 1:32 scale slot car track. The problem is that it is not fun to race alone. If I have someone over, I never win. Cupid would let me win every once in a while just to help me maintain my self-esteem.

Folks, this has been the VERY WORST day of my sixty-two years of life. It is the third time that I have lost a pet. The dog I grew up with died when I was in college. That was awful. The dog that my kids grew up with died when my son was in the Marines and my daughter was in college. That, too, was awful. As hard, however, as those were, this is the worst. At my age, Cupid will be my last pet. That is only fair, both to me and to the pet.

In conclusion, I must admit that I am not a real faithful observer of organized religion. I do, however, remember Merle Haggard once saying that, “When I am really, REALLY low, the only thing that brings me up is music”. I’ve got some old Tennessee Ernie Ford and Jim Reeves Gospel music up at the cabin. It’s helped before – it’s worth a try.

Lastly, I know that Cupid has already found an “old guy” up THERE who not only has the best tools in the world but the best tools in the universe. I’ll bet that guy even has a shop vac and a compressor that are BOTH totally silent. I’ll also bet that HE can turn bowls better than I have even dreamed of.

“Cupid”, I can only hope that you will take me back when it’s my turn.

Prayers will be much appreciated.

Dale T.

Jackie Outten
05-17-2004, 9:26 PM
Dale,

I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved cat Cupid. Animals are such an important part of a family. They listen to you when no one else will, love you unconditionally, and treat you like you are the center of their universe. It is so hard to get over losing a pet--I'm not sure that you every really do. Keith and I lost our dog three days before Thanksgiving (she was hit by a car). She was only 18 months old but she was the queen of our house and Keith's shop. It has been six months now and it is a little easier to deal with.

You were very fortunate to have such a good friend for 18 years. The days and weeks to come will be difficult but eventually it will become manageable.

Thank you for sharing!. I was very touched by your tribute to Cupid. I am sure Cupid will continue to watch over you in your shop when you are ready to return.

My thoughts and prayers are with you

Jackie Outten

Dave Richards
05-17-2004, 9:29 PM
Aw, Dale, I'm sorry for your grief. I know what you mean about missing your buddy. Time willl hellp it. It's probably a sad thing to admit but I never shed a tear when my mother passed (she'd been sick for more years than I can count) but I bawled like a baby when we had to put my buddy, Smitty, down. He was an old Walker coon hound we got from the animal shelter two years before. I sure missed him.

I know Cupid will take you back when the time comes. For the time being you'll have to do the mousing Make sure you don't track in any sawdust. Perhaps there's another buddy who would like to try to fill in for Cupid.

Dave

Rob Littleton
05-17-2004, 9:31 PM
Dale............

i am speechless.........

As I sit here reading this and looking at my "puppy" laying by my side, I cant bear the thought of that day.

God bless you

Joe Suelter
05-17-2004, 10:06 PM
Dale, I'm VERY sorry to hear of your loss. She's a cutie too! I love cats, and it saddens me to think somebody has lost theirs. Sometimes I think that my cat, Ally, hates my guts, but then night comes and she sleeps right on top of my pillow, trying to make ammends! Some people don't realize how important pets can be to our daily lives, and I pity those people. To have a friendship as long as you and Cupids, that's just great! Go ahead, take some time away, that helps me sometimes when life gets a little "over-bearing". Take care, buddy, everything happens for a reason!

John Miliunas
05-17-2004, 10:13 PM
Dale, I don't know how or why it happened, but you caught this fellow Cheesehead a bit short on words. I'm not sure I can put my feelings "to paper" at this time. Funny, it seems that I may need to have my eyeglass prescription checked, too. Take care, my friend. Yes, it's tough and I'm sure it will take a while, but time heals. Your only comment, which I can even dream of contesting is, you're selling yourself short in not wanting to find another companion. Yes, it *would* be fair to both, you AND your new friend. Far too many of them are left unwanted. I sincerely feel that Cupid would want you to give another of her feline mates a chance for a good life with someone who truly cares. God bless, my friend.

Jim Ketron
05-17-2004, 10:14 PM
Dale,
I know what it is like to lose a pet that you have had for so many years. Words can't describe the loss you feel, and my heart goes out to you. Maybe as time goes by, you will be able to find another buddy to keep you company. I didn't think I would be able to love another pet like I did my dog, but they somehow find a way of wrapping you around their little finger. It just takes time. Take care and God bless.......

Jim

Jim Becker
05-17-2004, 10:29 PM
Dale, I can truely feel for you in your loss. I think that sometimes we are much closer to our pets than we are to some human relatives...and take the loss of them to heart even harder. Think fondly of Cupid and consider that she would likely be quite angry with you if you avoid the shop merely because she's not there physically. After all, she'll still be there with you in your heart...

Waymon Campbell
05-17-2004, 10:31 PM
Dale - What a beautiful testimony about the love between a man and a cat... I am saddened by your loss.

Ted Calver
05-17-2004, 10:37 PM
Dale,
No two ways about it, pets are family. Sounds to me like Cupid picked a pretty darn good place to spend her allotted time. I'll bet that after a short while you might find another kitty out there that would volunteer to keep you out of trouble in return for some grub, an occasional tummy rub and a nice warm place to stay. It's a fair exchange and surely Cupid would approve.
Ted

Dave Anderson NH
05-17-2004, 10:46 PM
It's tough to have to deal with something like that. Time will pass however and you'll think back fondly and lovingly of your time with the animal who shared with you. Otis my Springer Spaniel is 12+ and beginning to fail in eyesight and hearing and is getting very arthritic. No matter how tough the day I've had though he's there for Sue and I when we get home from work and his love is unconditional. We've had him since he was 9 weeks old and we both dread to think of the day when life becomes too tough for him and he either passes or we have to put him down. To us he's not a pet, he's a member of the family. My son gets a bit huffy when Sure refers to Otis as his "brother", but no matter, family is family. All I can offer you is my sympathy and ask you to look back on the good times, maybe it'll help ease the pain.

My goal is to someday to become half the man Otis thinks I am.

Mark Singer
05-17-2004, 11:10 PM
Dale,
It fell on me heavy! I am an animal lover! #1.... I have 2 dogs and a bird and I am so attached to them. Java my Chocalate Lab will be turning 13 this year...I know I will be facing a very sad day in the future. They are such a big part of our lives and they understand more than we can ever give them credit for. Java got bit by a rattle snake last year....I had to write a big check to save him...it was worth every penny.
I am sorry about your loss and I know the sadness you are going through....hang tite!

Ken Fitzgerald
05-17-2004, 11:31 PM
Dale, you have my sympathy! It's been nearly 10 years since we had to put down our two dogs, a Samoyed and a Dauschand(sp?). There's not a day go by that I don't miss that Sammy! I want another one but will wait until I retire to get one. Wouldn't be fair to the missus to have to be solely responsible for it's training during her summer break from school work! They aren't pets.....they're members of your family......they'll listen when no one else will and as stated before their love is unconditional! It'll take time guy so hang in there!

Tim Morton
05-18-2004, 12:12 AM
Dale...(speechless)...I'm going up to give my kitties a little hug...they both sleep at the top of my stairs and tonight when I walk past them I'll be thinking of you and your kitty. Sleep well Dale!!

Ken Garlock
05-18-2004, 4:04 PM
Dale, I know exactly how you feel. Back on Feb 18 we took our 16 year old Russian Blue kitty in for his last trip to the vet. He was sick with failing kidneys, and life was no fun for him any longer. There are things you must do for an animal, and giving them up is the greatest.

Dale, when we brought Ivan back from the vet, I placed him in an oak box I had make along with his favorite toys. LOML had me put a small container of ashes from our previously departed Siamese kitty, Felix. The two of them had grown up together, and it seemed correct to have them rest together.

I wasn't really hurting until all the work was done and Ivan and Felix were buried. Then at supper, I had to have my 30 second cry, and I felt better. Say what you want, but it just has to come out, and it does feel better afterwords.

We still have one fat Abby who is diabetic. Bob, as in Bob Cat, will be our cat until his time arrives, and he will join his buddies in our kitty cemetery.

Then we will get us another kitten. Dale, get yourself out to the SPCA, or a breeder NOW. Get yourself a kitten. I know that it works; when it was time to put our very first kitty to sleep, we had already bought a new kitten, Felix. Let me tell you, it took the pain away in almost no time.

Dale, as they say, been there done that, and I know how your feel. But is does get easier with each passing day. Go to Pets Mart, Petco, or a shelter. There are many kitties looking for a nice shop to lounge in. Get going ;)

David Wilson
05-18-2004, 5:26 PM
Dale

You have my deepest sympathy. About 9 years ago my wife and I lost our dog.
She had been with us for about 12 years and it was the worst time I can remember. About a year later we were asked if we wanted another dog. Nala was about 10 weeks old and had gone through 3 homes already. When we first saw nala I picked her up and she promply layed her head on my sholder and went to sleep. Needless to say but we brought her straight home

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=7356&stc=1

This our new friend Nala.

Mark Stutz
05-18-2004, 11:11 PM
Dale,
Thanks for this thread. I truly do understand the feeling. A few years ago I would have thought everybody was crazy. Now that Maggie, our lab, is part of the family, I can't imagine being without her! I'm dreading the day that I have to face this same thing.

Mark

Dan Bundy
05-19-2004, 7:31 AM
Sorry about your loss. It's been 6 or 7 years since the cat I grew up with had to be put to sleep (he was still at my parents house) and I hadn't lived with him in probably 10 or 12, but I still took it pretty hard. Prayers and best wishes to you during this difficult time. DB

Rob Russell
05-19-2004, 8:09 AM
Dale,

My wife and I have been married for 22 years but were never blessed with children. About 2 months after we were married, she rescued a 6-7 week old, flea-bitten kitten from the middle of a busy intersection.

Critter was with us for 17 1/2 years. She was a small cat - 7 pounds of attitude. Put her in a cage with a pit bull and I woulda bet against the pit bull.

We had her put to sleep late at night after a 24 hour period of sudden and traumatic decline in her health (rear half of her body became paralyzed and she couldn't move). The next day we took as vacation to collect our thoughts and recoup.

You will find another shop buddy to follow Cupid. S/he will be different, but will also worm his/her way into your heart just as Cupid did.

Our new cat is a 6 year old male we got at the Humane Society. His only problem is that riding in cars scares him so much that he pees, poops and yorks in the car. That makes biannual trips to the vet for checkups and a rabies shot rather messy. Other than that, he's a friendly cuss who must be part Black Lab (a cat who comes when you whistle, plays fetch, likes his back scratched against the fur and rolls over so you can scratch his belly?) who is just as much a part of our lives as Critter was.

You have my sympathy and you will find another friend.

Rob

Daniel Rabinovitz
05-19-2004, 11:04 AM
Sorry to hear of your loss.
We had two very good companions - a mutt named - "Clinker" for 16 years and a rabbit named - "Flopsy" for 13 years.
We know how you feel and hope that you find peace in your thoughts.
Daniel :'(

Gary Whitt
05-19-2004, 11:12 AM
Dale, I know what you are going through.
A month and a half ago, I went through the same thing, and like you, I could not take my cat to the vet. My wife and daughter had to do the deed.
You will get through it, though, as I did.
I have three other cats and will probably always have at least one around until I die.
I would highly recommend another cat. The companionship and stress relief that they provide is immeasurable.

Dale Thompson
05-25-2004, 10:04 PM
Dear Friends,
Many before me on many occcasions have said it much more eloquently. However, let me put it in my simple terms, "The burden is far lighter when it is shared by friends". I most sincerely thank you all for looking, sharing and understanding my grief. Words are far too simple for me to express my gratitude.

I'm not the sharpest tack in the box and often misquote the greats. On the other hand, I seem to recall a quote from one of the Shakespearean masterpieces which went something like, "Life is but a walking shadow, a poor player who struts and frets its hour upon the stage and then is heard no more". Not wishing to argue with Shakespeare, I believe that the attached picture will, at least, cast doubt on his finality.

When my daughter was in Kindergarten, she completed her first woodworking project. It was a picture of her on a board with some cup hooks attached to simulate a key ring holder. I immediately hung it in my shop. The next year, knowing that I was heavy into model railroading, she duplicated the holder but sustituted her picture with that of a decal showing a beautiful 4-8-8-4 Steamer. For years, she asked me why I didn't get rid of the first key holder and use the "much better" one with the train. I never did. Now, thirty years later, when she is a Mother, she no longer asks that question.

The original key holder has hung in my shop for thirty years with no PRACTICAL purpose. It now has one. Both of my "babys" are now in the same place. Each time that I turn on the lights in the shop, I hear Cupid's bell and thank GOD for the fact that a "not so good" klutz has been blessed with two angels. How can one person be so fortunate? The "bell" also reminds me that I must do my very best work - I'm being watched through the,"Cracks in the floor of Heaven". :) Hey, Cupid, you KNOW me! I'm still a klutz. To paraphrase an old Jimmy Dean song, "I'm a lot older, a little bit wiser and a WHOLE LOT RICHER. For eighteen years, I lived with a Princess and, tonight, I feel like a KING!!" I'm still lonesome though.

Thanks again folks,

Dale T.