PDA

View Full Version : PALS T/S bevel cut question

Rick Moyer
10-08-2008, 7:35 PM
OK I did search this but can't find much. I seem to remember that there could be a problem angling the blade all the way to 45 degrees to make a bevel cut with the PALS system installed, but maybe I am dillusional. I'll be needing to bevel some edges to 45 soon. Has anyone had this issue and what is the remedy?
The saw is a Craftsman contractor, about 30 years old. I put the PALS on about a year ago and haven't needed to bevel yet, but something sticks in my mind that I couldn't tilt it all the way after. (I'll check tomorrow)

Tom Henderson2
10-08-2008, 7:58 PM
I don't see how the PALS system would have any impact on the saw miter capability. All it does is give you an easier/more precise way to align the trunions. Once the trunion bolts are cinched down, the PALS are out of the picture.

As always, verify that the blade is turning freely before you power up the saw.

-TH

Doug Shepard
10-08-2008, 8:11 PM
You might be referring to a post of mine
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showpost.php?p=808993&postcount=7
and yes, at least on my CMan (dont recall which model nbr) you couldn't leave both PALS brackets on without interfering with 45° cuts but you can use both to get it into adjustment.

Anthony Whitesell
10-08-2008, 8:14 PM
If I remember correctly the PALS is an L-shaped bracket with a set screw in one side and a hole in the other. The idea being that the set screw applies pressure against the trunion using the bolt (passing through the hole) as leverage. The stackup would be bolt head, PALS, trunion, and T/S top. This should in no way interfere or change the alignment at 45 degrees.

To align at zero degrees you twist the trunion (using the PALS) in the same plane as the saw's top. To adjust the 45 setting you add shims between the trunion and top to the front or rear bolts (essentially rotating the trunion in the same plane the blade rotates in at 90 degrees)

Doug Shepard
10-08-2008, 8:18 PM
It's been a good 10 years so I dont recall the exact hangup and this may only have been one particular CMan model. But seems like something about the PALs bracket or mounting location stopping the full travel through the tilt. Seems like it got stopped 4-5 degrees short of 45.

Anthony Whitesell
10-09-2008, 6:51 AM
I can see that, depending on which way the trunions needed to be shifted to align the blade at zero degrees the PALS may interfere.

Paul Fitzgerald
10-09-2008, 3:36 PM
I have a RIDGID TS3660 and I also cannot leave the PALS on the saw after it has been aligned or the motor bracket hits the PALS bolts before it gets to 45 degrees.

Paul

Rick Moyer
10-09-2008, 4:57 PM
Thanks Guys. Doug, I beleive it was your post I recalled, and I think I was not able to tilt to full 45 when I first installed them. I'll let you know if I indeed have this issue. As I said earlier, I'm just wondering if I will have the problem. I won't get back to the saw til early next week.

Doug Shepard
10-09-2008, 5:38 PM
Rick
Doing the alignment is definitely easier with the PALS but I just stuck the original bolt back in that one side after doing any alignment. That's not something you need to do all that often (well OK a bit more often with a CMan:D) As long as you go easy, pulling the PALS and re-installing the bolt wont knock out the alignment. I think I only did it about 3 times before I finally bought a cab saw and I think it might have been only an extra couple minutes to swap out after doing any alignments.