PDA

View Full Version : Corel Conundrum

Chris Hanson
10-08-2008, 6:46 PM
Hey folks, I've run into a problem that I can't figure out. I'm hoping someone can figure this out, because I'm stuck. I'm sure it is something so obvious that I just can't see it.

I created the file on my laptop (as I usually do while watching "House" re-runs) and then transferred them to a computer that I just installed Corel, ULS drivers, etc. I've cut other files and everything was fine.

I set out to do something that seems so simple I'm embarrassed to even ask, but....I need to figure this out.

Anyway, I wanted to cut a 12" x 12" piece of 1/4" acrylic into 3" squares. Simple enough, right?

So, I draw a 12" long vertical line and cut and paste it at 3", 6" and 9".

I then copy that, rotate it 90 degrees and do the same at 3", 6" and 9".

Everything looks like I want it.

When I send the job to the laser it cuts the horizontal lines and then stops at the 9" mark and just flashes , moves to the 6" and 3" mark and does the same.

Any ideas what is going on? How to fix it? Am I losing it?

I'm using CorelDraw X4 and have a Universal M360 laser.

I thought maybe the lines were out of the cutting area but that isn't the case. I set the lines position and length by entering the coordinates and numbers.

I'm totally frustrated!

Thanks in advance.

Chris in
Ketchikan

Mike Mackenzie
10-08-2008, 7:36 PM
Chris,

If you want to post the file I will take a look at it and see what it does on our 360.

Kevin L. Waldron
10-08-2008, 8:39 PM
This is a known driver problem for the ULS software. Happens a lot for me. I have found no solution it is aggrevated if you use layers with Corel. Tech guys are working on it.

Kevin Waldron

Chris Hanson
10-08-2008, 9:49 PM
Nice to know it may be a driver issue (kidding). I'm posting the template (converted to a .cdr so it will upload) I created that has this issue. Any assitance would be much appreciated.

Chris

Mike Null
10-09-2008, 4:21 AM
Chris

It would be helpful if you saved the file in version 11 or some earlier version than X4. Then most of the people on the forum could open it.

Chris Hanson
10-09-2008, 9:37 AM
Mike,

Thanks, I should have thought of that. I've updated the attachment in my original message.

Thanks to all,

Chris

Mike Null
10-09-2008, 9:44 AM
Chris

I don't see anything wrong with the file.

Do you get any indication that the drawing is outside the engraving area?

Tony Lenkic
10-09-2008, 11:07 AM
Chris,

On my ULS V-400 it worked just fine. No stopping between cut lines.
It my have to do with print driver you are using or some other settings.

Also you can optimize cutting order with mirroring alternate lines (zig-zag type cut).

Chris Hanson
10-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Mike,

That was my first thought but I even reduced the line to 11.99 just to make sure and had the same issue. The printer screen will give a warning if anything is out of the selected page size (I use 12 x 24 for all projects).

Tony,

Can you explain this a little further. I'm not quite clear on it.

My main computer's hardrive died, so I pulled the system off my cnc and loaded the driver on it. I created the file after my drive failed so I can't say whether it worked or not on my main computer. Maybe there is some setting I've neglected to set but I haven't had issues with lasering any other file. Any suggestions?

I'll have to check and see what driver ver. I installed. (is there a place to download driver updates or do I have to get them from my rep?) What driver ver. are you using Mike?

Thanks for the suggestions and checking out my file.

Why does it seem like the simplest jobs have a knack to turning into major time sinks?

Chris

Chris Hanson
10-09-2008, 12:57 PM
I happened to have the driver on my thumbdrive. It is: Win2000_XP_V106Q

Jim Huston
10-09-2008, 2:17 PM
Just checked my driver version - it is;
Win 2000, XP Ver.1.07M
Sounds like a little newer?? My M 360 60 watt is a couple of years old. Hope that helps

Mike Mackenzie
10-09-2008, 4:19 PM
Chris,

You can get the driver here http://www.cemlasers.com/pg--17--Drivers.aspx The version is 1.07M. I also did not see any problem with the file it ran correctly on our M360, V460, VLS, and PLS systems. So there is something in the computer that may be causing this. I will look into some different possibilities and post them later. Hopefully the driver fixes the issue.

PS get rid of 1.06Q it has problems!!

Chris Hanson
10-09-2008, 7:33 PM
Thanks! I'll do that ASAP.

Thanks all for your help.

Chris