PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 8" Jointer Replacement blades

Craig D Peltier
10-08-2008, 3:40 PM
Has anyone here replaced theres before? Which ones do I get, theres two here http://www.grizzly.com/products/8-Jointer-w-2-HP-Motor/G0586 .
I have the G0586.

I have two questions, can I move these blades slightly down because of knicks?

How do the blades come preset by using the springs or the jack screws? Im reading in the manual theres two ways to set them.

My blades are about 2 years old and have never been sharpened, theres probaly been guessing couple thousand board feet passed through them, theres several knicks and also get some waves down edge when edge jointing, maybe its my feed rate but it doesnt seem to be.

Fred Belknap
10-08-2008, 6:01 PM
I replaced mine. If they are nicked you can move them left or right a bit and it will help. I removed the springs. The gauge that comes with the jointer isn't very good to set them with. When you are tightening the blades they seem to slip a little. A good straight edge helps a lot. I redid mine a few times till I was satisfied, also got a jointer pal and it had a problem, which they replaced. I finally have it where I am satisfied.

John Hedges
10-08-2008, 6:09 PM
I replaced mine with a set I got from infinity. They seem to be harder (don't seem to nick as easily), and have lasted a lot longer than the grizzly blades. Just measure the set that is in the jointer now and order a set that are the same size.

Craig D Peltier
10-08-2008, 6:28 PM
I replaced mine. If they are nicked you can move them left or right a bit and it will help. I removed the springs. The gauge that comes with the jointer isn't very good to set them with. When you are tightening the blades they seem to slip a little. A good straight edge helps a lot. I redid mine a few times till I was satisfied, also got a jointer pal and it had a problem, which they replaced. I finally have it where I am satisfied.

So when you used a straightedge you made the infeed an outfeed parallel an then brought the blades up to the edge of straightedge?

Ed Kilburn
10-08-2008, 8:35 PM
Craig,
I have a brand new set of Grizzly blades part # H-4982 $25.
I bought an extra set when I got the G0586 jointer, but never took them out of the box. A deal came along for a byrd head, that I put in my machine, so I have no need for the blades.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=93412