PDA

View Full Version : benchtop mortiser runout

Mike Leung
10-08-2008, 1:47 PM
I have a delta 14-651 and the bit squeaks when it is running. I measured the runout and it read .007" at the bit about 1/2" away from the chuck. I picked up a multico pm16 and it measured around .004". The multico squeaks less but I am surprised it still squeaks. I thought multico mortisers would be more precise than that.

What is the runout of your mortiser chuck? Can you guys post your measurements and machine model?

Mike

John Thompson
10-08-2008, 3:47 PM
I cut about 40 mortises yesterday on a mission coffee table with my $2000 Industrial floor mortiser using relatively expensive CMT 3/4" shank bits, Mike. Did it squeak? Not as much as my old bench-top Shop-fox but.. yes slightly.

File the inside of your chisel and make sure the drill bit is dead center in the chuck. Make sure the chuch is square to the table and fence. At that point if you are getting satisfactory mortises which will usually be covered by a tenon shoulder anyway... get back to work cutting mortises as every mortiser I have seen will give off a degree of squeak.

Will I bother to measure my run-out? I see no reason to as the mortises are not as important as the tenon in my shop where I cut mortises first and then tenons made to fit my mortises.

Good luck...

Sarge..

Chris Padilla
10-08-2008, 3:53 PM
My Domino doesn't squeak when hogging out mortises but then again I can barely hear myself think while it's a runnin'.... :)

Cole Dunlay
10-08-2008, 4:38 PM
I've recently used General and Powermatic mortisers at different woodworking schools - both of them squeaked just as much as my Delta 14-651 mortiser and at both schools the instructors used the same remedy - they sprayed the bit/chisel occasionally with a dry lube. I keep a block of paraffin wax handy. When the bit starts to squeak I hold the wax to the bottom of the discharge slot. This melts the wax and it climbs up the drill bit. This has no effect on the holding power of the M/T joint since the sides of the mortise are cleaned out by the outside edges of the chisel.

Hope this helps

Cole

Mike Leung
10-10-2008, 2:01 AM
great info guys. I guess a little squeaking is normal. I use all your suggestions and report back. A domino is on my to buy list if I can justify the expense. I am going to build a couple of morris chairs with through tenons so I want to make sure my mortises are as clean as possible.