PDA

View Full Version : Trial Bowl thats different

David Newson
10-08-2008, 11:01 AM
Any comments please would be appreciated, the hand carving did not go right in places in the foreground you can see, but the general idea went reasonably well.

The wood was a piece of sycamore 14 x 2 with the rim marked out approximately 3 inches and design pencilled in, it was V carved then sprayed with black acrylic paint and in filled with copper coloured gilt cream,then finishing oil was applied to a cloth with the piece rotating fast to clean surplus off the black rim, then turned the inner bowl with a under cut rim applied sanding sealer cut back and applied wax finish all over.

Bernie Weishapl
10-08-2008, 12:07 PM
David the bowl looks great. I still have problems with my carving to getting a curved or straight line. How did you spray paint and keep it out of the carved lines?

Scott Conners
10-08-2008, 12:22 PM
Great concept! I love the contrasts and the shape, it's just those squiggly lines that throw it off a touch...not that I can carve at all myself =D

At first blush I thought it was a thin wall hollow form, and was trying to figure out how to do one myself...that would be incredible!

Steve Schlumpf
10-08-2008, 12:41 PM
Great design idea David! I'd say it worked out really nice! I really like the contrast between the black paint and the natural wood of the inner bowl. Carving is one of those variations to a form that can really stand out. The color contrast with the surrounding area magnifies any variations in the carved lines and to me that is something that is desirable as it shows it was turned by hand and not by some machine. To me it's a cool touch to showcase the form of the bowl!

Very nice work! Looking forward to your next piece!

David Newson
10-08-2008, 1:09 PM
David the bowl looks great. I still have problems with my carving to getting a curved or straight line. How did you spray paint and keep it out of the carved lines?

Bernie - Thanks for your comments, the secrets out ! The complete process I used was once the under side of bowl was finished and a recess or tenon chucking point made, I then remounted and trued the top surface up and sanded just the rim area,and whilst still mounted I used the indexing on the lathe and with the tool post positioned at centre height I marked with a pencil horizontal lines at each index mark round the circumference,I then used a point tool to cut a circle groove approximately 3" from the outside of the rim which gives you a starting point when carving, I then removed the chuck complete with the bowl still attached,and screwed the chuck onto a carvers angle clamp that fits into my tool post,

Note I had this made up for me to suit my 30mm tool post.

I then used a 10" bowl cutting template to aid pencilling in the curve lines, and with the carvers angle clamp angled to a comfortable position I used a proxon carver cutting to the curved lines once this was completed it was spun on the lathe again to sand away any pencil marks left over, I then removed the bowl complete to spray it black after several coats and allowing to fully dry I used my finger in a rubber glove to wipe the copper gilt cream into the vee cuts, once all the surplus gilt cream has been removed and the remaing black is clean you can spray with clear acrylic laquer to seal the rim detail, and the rest of the bowl is finished as per normal.

Hope this explains it more fully and look forward to seeing you and others have a go, your carver unfortunetly cant help you much on apart from my own trial observations are that the cutter must be razor sharp I believe that's what went slightly wrong with my carving I cut all the lines without any further sharpening, I Hope this explains the process more fully please feel free to ask any further questions - thanks.

David Newson
10-08-2008, 1:20 PM
Scott - Steve thanks for your comments, I hope to turn another one in the next few days this time I'll stop and sharp the carver after every three or four lines are cut as those slight kinks in the carving only came about on the last few lines, and once I made a mistake trying to rectify made it worst, or it could have been a bit harder wood.

Jon Lanier
10-08-2008, 2:21 PM
Hey that is a really neat idea. I wonder if that would work with wood die and the liming wax?

Mike Vickery
10-08-2008, 2:58 PM
I like this piece a lot, great job!

David Newson
10-09-2008, 2:52 AM
Jon - I think it may work with liming wax or any coloured wax, thanks for looking.