PDA

View Full Version : Dewalt Track saw cost

Craig D Peltier
10-08-2008, 11:01 AM
Hi, I wanted to find out how much the dewalt track saw cost.I did a search here and didint find anything.
I learned that makita has one too maybe in canada but doesnt have a riving knife but has some anti tilt feature when cutting bevels.
The track saw isnt news to me or most of us here but this is what cost I found.

"The corded saw DWS520SK will be available with a 59"-long track for $499. You'll also be able to buy that saw with a 102"-long track or with both lengths of track. DeWalt officials didn't have information on the pricing on those two other kits. The cordless DC351 saw also will be available in those three configurations, with the most expensive option being the saw and two lengths of track for $999.

"The Festool TS 55 EQ sells for $475 with a 55"-long guide rail. A 106"-long guiderail costs $245."

There syaing it has a few better add-ons to it than festool. I dont know where I stand on this. Both cost are very high to me. I just use my TS and sometimes crosscut ply rough with skillsaw and then finish it on TS.

Bruce Page
10-08-2008, 11:10 AM
It’s kinda like a $1300 miter saw, if people are willing to spend the money, they’ll be happy to sell it to them.
:confused:

Charles Trout
10-08-2008, 11:48 AM
I saw this saw at a Woodcraft demo a few weeks ago. When the rep said that it would be slightly more than Festool I was shocked.

Jay Brewer
10-08-2008, 2:12 PM
Hi Craig, personally I would go with the Festool. They have a proven product, great customer service, and some of the highest resale value of any tools I have seen, if you decide to sell it. The Festool also has some great accessories, especially the table. Hope this helps

Mike Heidrick
10-08-2008, 2:44 PM
Give me 48 hours and I will have one in the shop.

Price range given at IWF was $500-$700 for the corded 520 and more than that for the cordless :rolleyes:.

My set will have the 520 corded saw, a 59" track, and a pair of clamps.

I don't own the Festool. Reposts have said the dewalt can use the festool blades and the festool rail.

There is a us dewalt site up on it:
http://www.dewalt.com/us/tracksaw/

It is also on dewalt.co.uk

Brian Clevenger
10-08-2008, 3:07 PM
I don't own a Festool product yet, but I'm aware of what actual owners and users are saying about the product.

If the DeWalt is more expensive, why not go with the tool with a proven track record and happy owners?

Peter Quinn
10-08-2008, 6:21 PM
Great. A skill saw that costs almost as much as an entry level cabinet saw. It is portable, takes up a smaller foot print, and seems to tickle the dead wood people's fancy, but seriously. A skill saw and a couple of pieces of aluminum for $900? Who the heck are they kidding?

Colin Wollerman
10-08-2008, 7:03 PM
I used my new EurekaZone guide system to cut up a bunch of prefinished birch for some cabinets. I was pretty impressed. I was working alone and breaking down the 4x8 sheets was a breeze. All the cuts were smooth and spot-on.
I like Dewalt. Every yellow tool I have works well (TS, 12"MS, sanders and a couple cordless) and I have looked at the Dewalt rail but dollar for dollar I think you will get more out of an EZ system.

Colin

Brian Clevenger
10-08-2008, 7:21 PM
[quote=Peter Quinn;941870]..... It is portable, takes up a smaller foot print, and seems to tickle the dead wood people's fancy, but seriously....quote]

I think a radial arm saw would meet the criteria, but you don't hear the dead wood people ranting about them.

richard poitras
10-08-2008, 7:28 PM
If you’re going to spend that kind of money go with the Festool. If you are more on a budget go with the Ez guide. I have used both and own an Ez Guide. Both give excellent results…

Dino Makropoulos
10-08-2008, 7:47 PM
[quote=Peter Quinn;941870]..... It is portable, takes up a smaller foot print, and seems to tickle the dead wood people's fancy, but seriously....quote]

I think a radial arm saw would meet the criteria, but you don't hear the dead wood people ranting about them.

Brian,

The Radial arm saw has nothing to do with the Dead Wood Concept.

Don Bullock
10-08-2008, 7:51 PM

Price range given at IWF was $500-$700 for the corded 520 and more than that for the cordless :rolleyes:.

That's not what I was expecting to hear. What a bummer. If I had that kind on cash I'd certainly go with the Festool instead. I was hoping that the DeWalt would come in well under the Festool price.

I used my new EurekaZone guide system to cut up a bunch of prefinished birch for some cabinets. I was pretty impressed. I was working alone and breaking down the 4x8 sheets was a breeze. All the cuts were smooth and spot-on...
... dollar for dollar I think you will get more out of an EZ system.

Colin

Colin, I think you are right. The EurkaZone EZ-Smart System is looking much better to me with this announcement.

Bruce Wrenn
10-08-2008, 9:46 PM
Price of Festool and DeWalt system makes my shop built edge guide look mighty good. With the money I saved, I could buy another Unisaw.

Colin Wollerman
10-09-2008, 2:13 AM
Bruce Wrenn "Price of Festool and DeWalt system makes my shop built edge guide look mighty good. With the money I saved, I could buy another Unisaw.[/quote]

Ain't that the truth. I know an old guy who uses three MDF home made guides (different lengths) to break down his sheets. He listened and watched me politely as I showed him and demo'd all my EZ widgets and rails and then gave me that look...you know the one...like he wants to tell me how I wasted my money but knows it wouldn't do any good:o (although he was pretty impressed with the concept of the PBB & Bridge which is what I am working toward)

Ironically, my goal is to do work as good as his:confused::D
C

Rich Engelhardt
10-09-2008, 5:39 AM
Hello,
That DeWalt price is list price.
What they go for on Amazon may be a different story.
Time will tell.

Mike,
When you get yours, can you take a look and see where it's made?

Mike Heidrick
10-09-2008, 6:38 AM
Will do. Arrives Friday.

Aaron Beaver
10-09-2008, 8:19 AM
Will do. Arrives Friday.

Can't wait for you to review it, I have been looking at it for a long time but like others I was hoping it would be lower cost than Festool. If not I would have to wait to see what kind of track record its gonna have.

Dave Falkenstein
10-09-2008, 8:32 AM
Why buy an imitation Festool when you can get a real Festool for about the same cost? I have been reading the Dewalt and Makita would be priced close to Festool for some time, based on the pricing in the markets where they already introduced these copycat saws.

Jeffrey Makiel
10-09-2008, 8:58 AM
Perhaps DeWalt is capitalizing on the old saying: "you get what you pay for". It's a common justification for higher end tool buyers. Therefore, the high price will help invoke a sense of quality. Then, once quality is established thru actual use, DeWalt goes in for the kill and lowers the price.

Just a prediction.

-Jeff :)

Dino Makropoulos
10-09-2008, 6:04 PM
Why buy an imitation Festool when you can get a real Festool for about the same cost? I have been reading the Dewalt and Makita would be priced close to Festool for some time, based on the pricing in the markets where they already introduced these copycat saws.

Dave,
The Makita is a copycat.
The Dewalt Plunge saw is unique and different than other plunge saws.
Give them some credit.

Mike Heidrick
10-09-2008, 7:08 PM
Its here boys. It is the corded 520 model.

Saw is made in Czech Republic.
59" track is real nice and not flimzy at all.
Plunge action on the saw is SUPER smooth.
I have already cut the zero clearence edges - saw can cut on both sides without having to flip the track over. Not sure how useful that is to you - but it is a difference from festool I guess.

I will get some pictures tonight.

Peter Quinn
10-09-2008, 7:31 PM
[QUOTE=Brian Clevenger;941903]

Brian,

The Radial arm saw has nothing to do with the Dead Wood Concept.

It seems, Dino, you have taken several posts from different people and arranged them under a quote with my name. I would appreciate it if you would not use my name to quote something i did not write. I will do the same for you.

On that note however, just how different is cutting a piece of wood with a skill saw from cutting a piece of wood with a RAS?

Peter Quinn
10-09-2008, 7:42 PM

That is because they don't sell them, and Wally, being dead, isn't around to promote them either. Plus a GOOD RAS will set you back as much as several complete track systems and more then most cabinet saws including Saw stop, so unless you just love them, restored one like I did, or run a large millwork operation where production is a necessity that a skill saw on skates won't fill, the RAS is a non starter. Its tough to rally around a tool few can afford to own.

Oh, and small foot print would not be a good way to describe my RAS. Takes up WAY more room than my skill saw, and almost as much as my cabinet saw.

Dino Makropoulos
10-09-2008, 9:03 PM
[QUOTE=Dino Makropoulos;941927]

It seems, Dino, you have taken several posts from different people and arranged them under a quote with my name. I would appreciate it if you would not use my name to quote something i did not write. I will do the same for you.

On that note however, just how different is cutting a piece of wood with a skill saw from cutting a piece of wood with a RAS?

Peter,
I have no idea how I did it.
I thought you and Brian are in agreement.
No bad intented and sorry if I come across like a playmaker.

The RAS cuts with the blade spinning counter-clock wise.
Similar to the Tablesaw or to a circular saw cutting backwards.
All the forces are directed to the tool top and against the operator.

A forward cutting circular saw blade directs the forces to the underside of the wood
that is under pressure from the saw base and in some cases
under pressure by the guide rails.

When things go wrong with a circular saw (binding-kickbacks)
the CS reacts like a RAS and TS. ( not exact but you get the idea)

Here where the Dead Wood Concept comes into play.
Eliminate the possibility of a kickback by guiding the saw,router, planer etc.
and the same time secure the wood with clamps, pressure, fences etc,
while cutting.

ALL tools can be made to work on the DWC and not only the Guided Systems.
We're working to make all tools safer.
We may even see a DWC TS in the near future.;)

Chuck Tringo
10-09-2008, 10:34 PM
[quote=Peter Quinn;942674]

ALL tools can be made to work on the DWC and not only the Guided Systems.
We're working to make all tools safer.
We may even see a DWC TS in the near future.;)

Dino, wouldn't a good table saw sled with hold downs and a blade guard meet this criteria (at least for crosscuts) ? Havent figured it out for rip cuts yet tho :cool:

Dino Makropoulos
10-09-2008, 11:08 PM
[quote=Dino Makropoulos;942736]

Dino, wouldn't a good table saw sled with hold downs and a blade guard meet this criteria (at least for crosscuts) ? Havent figured it out for rip cuts yet tho :cool:

Chuck,
The answer is YES... (FOR THAT OPERATION)
The EU sliders are even closer to the DWC.
They provide clamping jigs for some rip cuts.

Most of the Industrial woodworking machines meet the DWC criteria by 95%.
They provide pressure via rollers and /or pressure plates.

A good tablesaw with a feeder is the closest that you can get
to the DWC for ripping.

Mike Heidrick
10-09-2008, 11:12 PM
I missed a post or thread somewhere - what is the DWC??

tyler mckenzie
10-10-2008, 2:20 AM
looking at some of the videos that saw looks pretty wobbly. They never show the finished/cut edges of the product, always a quick edit out. I gotta say buy a solid table saw, you'd be crazy to do glues line cuts with that plastic.

Don Eddard
10-10-2008, 3:26 AM
I missed a post or thread somewhere - what is the DWC??
Dead Wood Concept.

From, Dino, YCF and the King of the TLA. ;)

Mike Heidrick
10-10-2008, 6:34 AM
OK, I should have wrote what is meant by Dead Wood Concept?

Dino Makropoulos
10-10-2008, 11:10 AM
OK, I should have wrote what is meant by Dead Wood Concept?

Hi MIke.
The DWC is a woodworking method.
The wood must be under pressure (Dead) while cutting.

Mike Heidrick
10-10-2008, 11:21 AM
Why not call it under pressure cutting?

Peter Quinn
10-10-2008, 8:09 PM
A good tablesaw with a feeder is the closest that you can get
to the DWC for ripping.

Bingo. Been saying this repeatedly in every thread about TS Safety. Nothing like a power feed for safety and accuracy. Setting one up for each cut in a complicated sequence of cuts, however, can add considerably to the time it takes to finish a task, not to mention removing them for cuts where they get in the way like cross cutting, and they are in fact not cheap to purchase. Also it takes a pretty stout TS to support the weight and pressure of a power feed, I doubt your average contractor model would support that strain for long.

A good guide system may be more useful to many hobbiests than a cabinet saw with a powerfeed or a euro slider, and available at a much gentler price point all cost considered. This does not make the TS less safe, just way more expensive fully equiped.

I suppose one could also buy a straight line saw with a carpet feed for ripping, which is basically an over grown RAS with a fence, shroud and dust collection, but that takes up a lot of space and budget!

Dave Falkenstein
10-10-2008, 10:50 PM
Why not call it under pressure cutting?

I call it taking the tool to the material (rather than the material to the tool). Maybe we should call it T5M. As I understand it, Dino created the term Dead Wood Concept several years ago.

Dino Makropoulos
10-10-2008, 10:59 PM
A good guide system may be more useful to many hobbiests than a cabinet saw with a powerfeed or a euro slider, and available at a much gentler price point all cost considered. This does not make the TS less safe, just way more expensive fully equiped.

Peter,
You know much about traditional woodworking machines but not "up to date' about guide systems. The fact that you think that all guide systems are similar and only good for hobbyists is simply not true.

Take a look at this custom setup.
A triple. miter, dual rail, bridge system that was build to take the place of
three dual mitersaws ( Pictorius type ) because their accuracy, ease, safety, speed and quality of cut don't meet the spec's of the customer or the needs of the manufacturer.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=90853

I suppose one could also buy a straight line saw with a carpet feed for ripping, which is basically an over grown RAS with a fence, shroud and dust collection, but that takes up a lot of space and budget!

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Some woodworking history here.:cool:
Carpet feed?
My favorite tool of all was a carpet feed surfacer-straightener?
42" wide? with an overhead feed conveyor.
"The human hand"- "Carpet feed" "... (rubber)

The brilliant design of the "monster" was something to admire.
I think it was a Witney.
We spend 2 years rebuilding the monster
and many other "old iron" high production industrial woodworking machinery.
Best money and time ever spend.
15.000 BF of reclaimed hardwoods ( Cut-offs, shorts, etc)
in less than 6 hours. 2 guys on the infeed table and 4 on the outfeed.
------------------------------------------------------------------

I think the best way to learn about the DWC is to dedicate an entire info-website with all the details.

Coming soon and your ideas are welcomed.

Dino Makropoulos
10-10-2008, 11:20 PM
I call it taking the tool to the material (rather than the material to the tool). Maybe we should call it T5M. As I understand it, Dino created the term Dead Wood Concept several years ago.

Dave,
You can take the materials to the tool as long as your tool was designed or you use other means to eliminate any possibility of the materials to become projectiles.
Here is a good example.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=91932&highlight=tunnel

Dave Falkenstein
10-11-2008, 10:45 AM
...I think the best way to learn about the DWC is to dedicate an entire info-website with all the details.

Coming soon and your ideas are welcomed.

Is this an announcement that Dino will be starting his own forum web site, and leaving the SMC Manufacturer's Forum area?

Dino Makropoulos
10-11-2008, 12:12 PM
Is this an announcement that Dino will be starting his own forum web site, and leaving the SMC Manufacturer's Forum area?

Dave,
Are you asking me, the forum or yourself?:rolleyes:

Why not right here on SMC?

Thanks for the idea.;)

Peter Quinn
10-11-2008, 4:24 PM
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Peter,
You know much about traditional woodworking machines but not "up to date' about guide systems. The fact that you think that all guide systems are similar and only good for hobbyists is simply not true.

Take a look at this custom setup.
A triple. miter, dual rail, bridge system that was build to take the place of
three dual mitersaws ( Pictorius type ) because their accuracy, ease, safety, speed and quality of cut don't meet the spec's of the customer or the needs of the manufacturer.

I have seen that post before. I have yet to understand what it is supposed to do? It looks like a small beam saw in principle. I am curious what degree of accuracy can be expected when all that aluminum extrusion begins to expand and contract in the sun? Do you really expect me to believe that device will remain accurate to within seconds under varying temperatures over its span? And is that within the price range of most small pro or hobby shops? Is that custom system honestly a realistic option for most small shops? Looks like an awful lot of 80/20 in play there. A mechanical engineering friend sets up some pretty nice custom jigs and work stations in the machine shop with 80/20, but the cost would bankrupt me.

I should note that my comments about a track system for hobbiests are specifically regarding stock track systems for sale to the public. I know many professionals, mostly carpenters and installers or custom on site builders that use track systems extensively in their work. I know none that don't also have some industrial stationary equipment back in the shop. I don't mean to suggest that track systems are ONLY appropriate for hobby shops, but that in the case where a choice for hobby wood worker must be made between a good table saw or a track system, the track system may offer some advantage in terms of cost and space when the total cost of each system is considered.

I have use a few Pistorius machines, they don't seem to me to be the best of their kind to put it mildly. Perhaps Wadkin is a better option. When my neighbor dissolved his custom shower enclosure business a few years back he sold his Northfield RAS to a local cabinet shop. He had used it to cut various miter angles in aluminum and soft steel. This machine was accurate to within seconds over its stroke of roughly 28". Sets up quick, very versatile, very very accurate. Hardly what I'd call portable though. If you want very accurate miters, Northfield may not be "Up to date" but it is certainly up to the challenge. A CNC might do it to and fill the need for keeping up to date.

Dave Falkenstein
10-12-2008, 10:41 AM
Dave,
Are you asking me, the forum or yourself?:rolleyes:

Why not right here on SMC?

Thanks for the idea.;)

I was asking you Dino. Sorry, I should have directed my question to you directly. Nothing wrong with right here on SMC. No thanks needed - I did not come up with an idea - I was simply trying to understand your statement, "Coming soon and your ideas are welcomed." I am easily confused! :)

Mike Heidrick
10-16-2008, 11:14 AM
Tyler tool has some prices up on the Dewalt Tracksaw and the accessories. Still not in stock but probably a good idea of the prices we will see. Thanks to a FOG member for this heads up.
Tyler Tool Dewalt Tracksaw link (http://www.tylertool.com/tracksaw.html)