PDA

View Full Version : Type of casters on carpeting?

Dave Falkenstein
10-08-2008, 10:03 AM
I am about to start a project to build a stand for a HDTV that my wife is getting me (us) for my birthday in a couple of months. The stand will be surrounded by an existing entertainment center and sit on carpet. I need to be able to pull the stand and TV out as a unit for access to wiring. Which style of caster works better on carpet - twin wheel or round ball? I am looking at these choices:

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=396&filter=40197

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=6421&filter=24729

Thanks.

Shawn Walker
10-08-2008, 10:26 AM
Of those choices... Carpet with underlay... The twin wheel.

Dave Falkenstein
10-08-2008, 11:05 AM

Shawn - Thanks. If there are other choices I am missing, I'd be happy to hear about them.

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-08-2008, 4:18 PM

What he said.........
However, I suggest you consider not putting it on casters at all.

It's a TV you prolly won't be moving it and casters on rug are not the most stable form of locomotion.

Robert Chapman
10-08-2008, 7:48 PM
The more surface you can get on the carpet the easier it will roll. I would go for the widest and highest casters that you can find that will fit your application.

Shawn Walker
10-08-2008, 10:40 PM
Shawn - Thanks. If there are other choices I am missing, I'd be happy to hear about them.

The Globe style ones they put on older sofas, and ottomans work well for mobilty, and make the least lasting footprint in the carpet.

You can still buy them butt, they are kinda dated looking, and maybe a little ugly.
I would go with the twin wheel for your purpose.

I end up pulling my ET center out quite often.

Dave Falkenstein
10-08-2008, 11:15 PM
The Globe style ones they put on older sofas, and ottomans work well for mobilty, and make the least lasting footprint in the carpet.

You can still buy them butt, they are kinda dated looking, and maybe a little ugly.
I would go with the twin wheel for your purpose.

I end up pulling my ET center out quite often.

Shawn - Do you have a link for "globe" casters? Looks are immaterial, since the casters will be almost totally hidden, recessed under a skirt on the bottom of the stand.

I also need to pull my TV and components out often enough to make casters a requirement. I don't want to mess with having to move the electronics to get at the wiring behind the stand.

Jamie Buxton
10-09-2008, 9:59 AM
Tiny wheels are going to sink into the carpet and pad, and therefore be tough to move. Bigger-diameter wheels roll out of that depression better. Wider wheels put a larger area on the carpet, and therefore sink in less.

Consider the casters sold for moving shop machinery. For instance http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=1989

I'd probably use fixed wheels in your application, not rotating casters. Casters do a tricky thing when you reverse the direction of travel. They have to swivel around so that the wheel trails the pivot. If you roll the stand into place, and then pull it back out, the furniture has to move sideways a bit while the rotating casters swivel around. (This is why it is sometimes difficult to get a furniture dolly started.) Fixed casters, aimed correctly, should do a better job.