PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly Tennon Jig ???

BOB OLINGER
10-08-2008, 7:50 AM
I'm contemplating purchasing a tennon jig for my Delta contractor table saw. In browsing through the nice fat Grizzly catalog that came yesterday, I noticed the Grizzlly is nearly 1/3 the price of a Delta. Does anyone have any comments on this unit? Thanks.

Don Abele
10-08-2008, 8:18 AM
Bob, we had the older Delta model at work and I loved it. It was simple to use, sturdy, and accurate. A couple of years ago, I purchased the Grizzly version (because of cost) and have not regretted it a single day. I have used it to cut a hundred or so tenons without any problems. It's just as good as the Delta we had in work. With that said, I believe the one that Delta sells now is much nicer. But the Grizzly works and costs a lot less.

Be well,

Doc

Don Bullock
10-08-2008, 8:27 AM
Bob, I noticed the same difference a couple of years ago and bought the Grizzly version. There seems to be very few differences in a vide variety of these tenon jigs currently on the market and I can't find anything that would be better than the Grizzly.

scott spencer
10-08-2008, 8:50 AM
The Griz looks just like the Woodcraft jig, in case that one's easier for you to pickup.

98271 98272 http://www.grizzly.com/images/pics/jpeg500/h/h7583_det2.jpg

Cary Falk
10-08-2008, 8:51 AM
In browsing through the nice fat Grizzly catalog that came yesterday,

Are the 2009 catalogs in the mail already???????????

Brian Kent
10-08-2008, 9:34 AM
I have the Grizzly and find it very solid. I don't have a comparison as this is the only one I have used.

BOB OLINGER
10-08-2008, 9:46 AM
Cary,

The one I rec'd yesterday was my first. I assumed I rec'd it because I just purchased some merchandise from them. Sorry, I didn't notice if it is '09 ( it's at home, I'm at work). Being my first, I was truly amazed at the size and listings.

Rod Sheridan
10-08-2008, 10:07 AM
It looks like the delta one I own, which aside from cutting my hand when brand new, has worked well.

I should probably find a new home for mine as I don't cut tenons on the TS now.

Regards, Rod.

BOB OLINGER
10-08-2008, 1:00 PM
A BIG thanks to all who responded to my question. The quality and promptness of responses is amazing and what makes this such a special site.

Greg Sznajdruk
10-08-2008, 1:08 PM
Bob:

Don’t know if this applies to your saw but the blade to miter slot is not a constant between manufactures. My experience is with the Delta Jig and the Ridgid contractor saw the Ridgid is about an inch further from the blade that the Delta.

Greg

Lance Norris
10-08-2008, 1:14 PM
Another vote for the Grizzly. It does the job fine

Eric Larsen
10-08-2008, 1:47 PM
I have the Grizzly jig... It's solid. My only beef is mine arrived dripping with cosmoline. I had to completely disassemble the jig to get it all off. (Since my table saw is left-tilt, I had to completely disassemble the jig anyway.)

Contrary to my current tagline, I don't really enjoy anything about cosmoline. I wish Chinese tool manufacturers would start buying Boeshield in oil-tanker quantities.

Don Abele
10-08-2008, 3:31 PM
...mine arrived dripping with cosmoline. I had to completely disassemble the jig to get it all off. (Since my table saw is left-tilt, I had to completely disassemble the jig anyway.)...

Eric, mine was nasty too and had to be completely disassembled to clean. What difference does it make that your saw is left tilt? Mine it too and I didn't have change anything on it to use it.

Be well,

Doc

John Thompson
10-08-2008, 5:27 PM
The Grizzly... Woodcraft.. etc.. etc.. components come from the same source as I compared several. The Jet is a little different I have found and so is the older Delta before they switched manufacturers. Is the Jet any better? ... Naaaah! They all work fine from what I've seen.

I would go for price point in this case. They say you get what you pay for and I agree... in this case you get a tenon jig. But.. you can pay more at one place for the same basic unit if you wish as we are free to chose. :)

Sarge..

glenn bradley
10-08-2008, 5:39 PM
I bought the Rockler version on sale. I have used it a lot and have no complaints that I wouldn't have with the pricier versions. The documentation in the box was from Jet with their red logo but the jig is Rocklet blue; Woodcraft has a cousin as well.

The scale on all versions I have held in my hands is poor but an easy fix as is the big fat pointer ;-) I wouldn't hesitate.

BOB OLINGER
10-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Thanks, again, for responses. My order went in this morning.

James Williams 007
10-09-2008, 1:41 PM
I bought the woodcraft jig which is the same jig and it works like a charm my only complaint is the two plastic handles that I am going to replace with custom turned maple to make a better grip.

Tom Veatch
10-09-2008, 2:03 PM
... Does anyone have any comments on this unit?...

When you get it, check for burrs on the surface that contacts the table top. The first time I pushed mine across the saw, it left a nice, long, scratch/groove in the top.

It's been a couple of years since I bought mine and as I recall, it's branded as a General or General International. But going by the posted pictures, the only difference seems to be the "Grizzly" logo cast into the fence.

BOB OLINGER
10-09-2008, 3:49 PM
Thanks, again, for all the responses. My order went in this morning.

Eric Larsen
10-09-2008, 4:25 PM
My Grizzly jig had specific instructions for left-tilt saws. Basically the whole assembly was moved to the left on the guide rail. If you want, I'll scan the instructions and PM them to you.

Eric, mine was nasty too and had to be completely disassembled to clean. What difference does it make that your saw is left tilt? Mine it too and I didn't have change anything on it to use it.

Be well,

Doc

Don Abele
10-09-2008, 6:34 PM
Eric, thanks for the offer. I'm sure I have them somewhere. I just don't remember having to change anything right out of the box. But that was a while ago and I may just be suffering a "moment".

Be well,

Doc