PDA

View Full Version : Moving a cabinet saw

Jim O'Dell
10-08-2008, 7:19 AM
Outside chance of getting one from an individual, but if it happens, I'll have to move it using LOML's mini van. Is that even possible? The height is the part I need to measure. I'm guessing the saw is about 36" tall, give or take. Would it be possible after taking the extensions off to slide it up a ramp and into the back? I know a trailer would be best, but if this happens at all, there won't be any money to rent one with.
Like I said, it probably won't happen, but in case it does, I wanted to have some info ready to go. TIA!! Jim.

Rod Sheridan
10-08-2008, 7:24 AM
Jim, it depends upon the van. I picked up my General 650 in a Ford Aerostar minivan.....Rod.

Doug Shepard
10-08-2008, 8:01 AM
If the height will clear the opening, I would think it might be easier trying to slide this in upside down rather than on the base. Some cardboard on the floor so the CI doesn't get scarred on any seat mount brackets. But that would keep the cab centered in the van. Standing upright might put the table top pretty near the rear windows.
???
Just thinking outloud of how I might have to move my PM66 if all I could use was a relatives minivan.

Jeff Duncan
10-08-2008, 8:58 AM
Lay it on the back, that's the easiest way. Take the fence off and if your alone remove the wings also, then just lean the saw against the back of the van, grab the bottom and lift and push. It's really not as difficult as you may think. I've moved several and they're really not that bad.
good luck,
JeffD

M Toupin
10-08-2008, 9:06 AM
A uni really not that heavy or awkward, it's just a box once you remove the wings. A dolly makes moving it easy once the wings are off. Back up the van to the saw and tilt the saw back into the bed so it's resting with the edge on the bed. Grab it by the bottom and flip it into the van upside down on it's top. To unload it just reverse the process. Leave the top on, the weight is in the top and really is not an issue when your rotating it at the center point. It also slides a lot easier on the top than without it.

It's not that big a deal, don't make it any more complicated than it needs to be.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=70626&highlight=flip

Mike

Jim O'Dell
10-08-2008, 9:39 AM
Thanks guys! I thought about flipping it on to it's back, but hadn't thought about upside down. How will the motor ride either way? Will it put undue stress on the motor bracket? Should I brace the motor in any way?
Hey Mike...who said it was a Uni???:confused::D
Thanks again. I'm just dreaming at this point. He sounds pretty anxious to get rid of it. Probably won't sell it for what I have available to spend. But we'll see. Jim.

Cole Dunlay
10-08-2008, 4:50 PM
Jim,
If you flip the saw the motor may tend to bounce up and down. Stuff a couple of blankets in there before flipping the saw to help prevent this.

Cole

Ken Garlock
10-08-2008, 5:05 PM
Hello there Mr. Jim.:)

If you think the saw will be too heavy for you to handle, either into or out of the truck, consider removing the cast iron top. You will find that there are only four bolts holding it on, the same bolts you loosen to square the top to the blade.

Don't forget when you get it in the shop: no pictures, it didn't happen.:D

Jim O'Dell
10-08-2008, 5:46 PM
Well, I guess I missed out, because the ad is no longer there. If I had had the money he was asking for, I would have jumped on it. Don't know what year it was, but a 3HP Delta X5, right tilt with Beise fence and 7' rails. 750.00!!! Said it had to go and would negotiate. He would have had to settle for a lot less, as I'm limited on funds right now, and not really looking to buy, but thought if he was really desperate, and it wasn't selling for him that I might be able to steal it. Not that 750.00 wasn't a great price for what he had.
I thank you all for the great information. Armed with this knowledge, when I do have the money available, hopefully by the end of the year, and a great deal like this comes along, I'll be able to pounce! Hope someone here saw the add too. It wasn't listed under Unisaws, just table saws. Jim.