PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Flower Vase

Brodie Brickey
10-08-2008, 12:55 AM
The vase is Aspen with a Watco Oil Natural finish and Beal buffed. The insert allows me to use it for large fresh flower arrangements. I inset the insert to minimize the amount of stainless steel visible.

I think I should have made the base a little narrower to accentuate the tulip form.

Dimensions: 6" w x 8.5" h

Dana Berenson
10-08-2008, 5:46 AM
Well done! What was it like to work with the Aspen?

David Walser
10-08-2008, 10:55 AM
Brodie,

I like the vase. As you suggest, a narrower base might have been more attractive, but it also might have been less practical. Flower arrangements tend to be top heavy and a narrower base might have made the vase too tippy for use. You created a vase that is attractive and serviceable.

Neat idea to use the stainless steel insert to allow the use of fresh flowers. Is that the same insert you use for travel mugs or is it something new?

Bernie Weishapl
10-08-2008, 12:09 PM
Hey Brodie that was a great idea with the stainless. Looks good. I agree you could have made the base smaller but flowers can be top heavy. I must say it looks great to me.

Steve Schlumpf
10-08-2008, 12:30 PM
Brodie - great idea! Good looking vase!

Brodie Brickey
10-08-2008, 1:55 PM
Well done! What was it like to work with the Aspen?

Aspen is pretty soft. When I was roughing the log I almost needed a squeegee to clean off my face shield there was so much moisture.

You can get tear out pretty easily. Since this is end grain there were less possibilities of tear out showing in the main vessel. You do see some crushed fibers around the inset rim, but its pretty minimal.

I have a preference for lighter woods and like to get grain to pop when possible. On this aspen, the grain is very subtle. I had another vase with some actual curl in it, but not throughout the piece.