PDA

View Full Version : Ryobi WDS 1600 (Drum Sander)-Deal?

peter lent
10-07-2008, 10:29 PM
Hi All,

I have been in the market for a used drum sander for several months. Been looking for a Performax 16/32, but have not been able to find any good deals locally.

I just found a Ryobi WDS 1600 (16/32 equivalent by Ryobi) for sale. Guy is asking $300, but I am sure I can get it cheaper.

I know that changing the paper on the ryobi is a pain, but I am looking for any other information on this drum sander.

If I can get it for $225-$250 is it a good deal? Unfortunatetly, I do not have $600 for a performax right now, so....

It will be mainly used to sand painted wooden signs and the occasional raised panel door and cutting board.

Thanks for any input.

Pete

Eric Larsen
10-08-2008, 12:54 AM
I'll stick with my mantra: "If you have ask the Creek if it's a deal, it probably isn't a GREAT deal. If you buy the tool/machine excited to tell everyone on the Creek what a deal you got, THAT's a deal."

That being said, are you searching crazedlist.org for markets in your general area? I've seen Performax 16/32s in the $300 range.

Phil Thien
10-08-2008, 7:21 AM
I think if you can get it for under $300 that it is a great deal. If you can get it for $250 or less, it is a gloat.

I have never had problems changing the paper on mine. Once you understand how the tension mechanism works it goes very quickly.

Some people have criticised the 1-HP motor. I have never found it underpowered. I havn't stalled mine, nor have I tripped the breaker.

I prefer the rubber belt on my Ryobi over the abrasive feed belt on the newer Performax/Jet units. And BTW, that rubber belt is an expensive upgrade option on the Performax/Jet units.