PDA

View Full Version : Used Tool Gloat

Alan Turner
05-17-2004, 4:17 PM
Last weekend, the new, old tools arrived. A Griggio slot mortiser, a PM 1441 14" BS, and a PM Mod. 26 shaper. Pix are attached. This weekend I was trying to really “own” the tools by using them in learning situations.
Was just getting to know the Griggio when I fried the motor. Today, took it to a motor shop, only to learn that it is a “metric” motor, which means that the price is double what it should be, but the good American motors will not fit the case or mounting. So, looks like a $200 motor will be closer to $500. Oh well, it is a great machine. The PM 141 is a terrific scroller. It now has a 1/8" blade on it, and it cuts quite well. And, it even has pretty good dust collection, just off of my Fein shopvac. This is my first shaper, so will go slow. I know that it is a finger eater. I have been given a 1/8 hp. powerfeeder, but suspect it is too small to be useful.

Right now I am cutting some East Indian Rosewood handles for the new shop drawers (13 of them) since there was major reworking to do to shoehorn in the three new stationary tools. In fact, I was building Paduak doors for a couple of wall cabinets which hold finishing supplies when the Griggio fried. I thought I would practice with the new tools on shop storage stuff, instead of learning on work that would be going out the door. The wood was part of the deal on my purchase of the contents of a shop from an estate, and the wood for the shop storage is "just" scraps.

Thanks for looking.
Alan

Lincoln Myers
05-19-2004, 3:14 PM
Nice tools Alan! For some reason, I just love that old stuff. I would much rather have an old piece of machinery that was well taken care of than a brand spankin' new piece.

Thanks for posting the pics!

Gary Whitt
05-19-2004, 3:20 PM
Bummer about the motor. :mad:

Can a welder make mounts for an American motor?
That would be a lot cheaper than another $300.

Tyler Howell
05-19-2004, 3:40 PM
Congrats Alan,

A trip back into history. that produces great rewards.

:cool:

Alan Turner
05-19-2004, 3:54 PM
I tried, but the length of the motor is just too much for the cabinet. $500 it is. Oh well. I have longed for a slot mortiser for years, and this is the first one I got a shot at.
I prefer old tools as well. See my Byrd cutterhead post for a pix of my very old, and great, jointer.
Alan

Jim Becker
05-19-2004, 3:55 PM
They all look really good cleaned up, Alan...ten years of dust is now gone! The shaper seems to be "gleaming" in a way that only PM does, too. Bummer on the motor, but the rest of the tool is the real value, IMHO, and once you get the power back on, it will do a lot of work for you. I like how that BS tucks into the little bump-out in the foundation! <G>

Alan Turner
05-19-2004, 4:05 PM
That's right. You saw them before the liberal application of kerosine and steel wool, etc. They did clean up well.
The bump out is from a chimney. My home has two inboard chimneys. The fit is perfect. I just put a magnetic light on the upper door, pull it out, plug in the Fein, and scroll away. Having owned a Delta 14" from 1980 to 2002, I can assure all that the PM 141 is a lot more saw!
Shopping for a stock feeder now for the shaper, before I even bother to learn it. I figure its the only way I can still count to 10 reliably.
Motor for the Griggio is promised this Friday. I want to get back to those Padauk doors. Orange dust abounds.
Alan
Alan

Jason Tuinstra
05-19-2004, 6:28 PM
Congrats Alan. It looks like you found the perfect place for the PM 14" band saw. Have fun.