PDA

View Full Version : My 2nd Pecan Vessel ( crique welcome )

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-07-2008, 7:24 PM
This is only my 2nd completed Vessel. I have several others roughed out & in the drying stage.
It's Pecan,it's 7 " tall 5" dia at it's largest dia. & has 1/8" wall thickness.

Kurt Bernat
10-07-2008, 7:40 PM
Absolutely gorgeous! What was the size of the original blank?

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-07-2008, 7:52 PM
Kurt
Thanks for your comment. It was turned from a 9 1/2" long X 7" dia. limb. Centered on the pith.

David Walser
10-07-2008, 8:05 PM
Joe,

I like the vessel very much. I like how the grain appears to flow from the top of the vessel and drip down the sides.

neil mackay
10-07-2008, 8:28 PM
Hi Joe,

nice one, just one question what did you use to finish it?

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-07-2008, 8:36 PM
Thanks Neal
I filled the Grain with a Arlyic then I used a Gloss Varnish top coat
(9 coats.)

Clara Koss
10-07-2008, 9:16 PM
very beautiful.... the wood really comes to life with your finish... great shape...thanks for sharing and hope to see more of your work soon...:p

Bernie Weishapl
10-07-2008, 9:58 PM
Great form, wood and finish. Well done.

Dana Berenson
10-08-2008, 5:51 AM
Spectacular finish and Nice grain.

It must have been challenging to hollow out the "shoulders" of that form but it works nicely.

Steve Schlumpf
10-08-2008, 10:31 AM
Joe - that's some really nice work, especially when you consider it is only your second finished piece! Great looking finish! I'd say that if you managed to get this to a consistant 1/8" thickness - then you have the basics of hollowing well under control.

The only thing I can offer in way of a suggestion is to start checking out some of the other hollow form work here on SMC - just to get some examples of different forms. Just a few folks whose work I would suggest as really good examples are:

Bernie Weishapl, Bob Hallowell, Curt Fuller, Ernie Nyvall, George Guadiane, Jim Ketron, Joe Tonich, John Hart, Keith Burns, Leo Van Der Loo, Mark Cothren, Mike Fuson, Neal Addy, Shane Whitlock, Travis Stinson and Wally Dickerman.

Those are just some of the names that come to mind when I think of really good work when it comes to hollow forms and is by no means total - but it's a great place to start!

Greg Ketell
10-08-2008, 12:02 PM
Wow, that is very pretty. I love the form and the wood is gorgeous!!

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Joe - that's some really nice work, especially when you consider it is only your second finished piece! Great looking finish! I'd say that if you managed to get this to a consistant 1/8" thickness - then you have the basics of hollowing well under control.

The only thing I can offer in way of a suggestion is to start checking out some of the other hollow form work here on SMC - just to get some examples of different forms. Just a few folks whose work I would suggest as really good examples are:

Bernie Weishapl, Bob Hallowell, Curt Fuller, Ernie Nyvall, George Guadiane, Jim Ketron, Joe Tonich, John Hart, Keith Burns, Leo Van Der Loo, Mark Cothren, Mike Fuson, Neal Addy, Shane Whitlock, Travis Stinson and Wally Dickerman.

Those are just some of the names that come to mind when I think of really good work when it comes to hollow forms and is by no means total - but it's a great place to start!
Thanks for the comments & suggestions I am in no way offended by your suggestions , that's the reason I posted the pic's of my vessel. I wanted some feed back.
However I should note that my objective is to turn Taller Vase Like Vessels. Mine are all turned hollowing end grain. Not the shorter- rounder -squatier hollow forms that many of the people you named turn. That's not to take away from their forms at all. I admire many of thier turnings & talented skills.That's just not what I'm tying to turn.
Thanks again Joe

Bill White
10-09-2008, 1:29 PM
There are those who say that fewer straight lines make for a more pleasant design. Although I mostly adhere to that philosophy, your turning is VERY nice.
I also think that design is in the eye of the artist/turner, so BULL AHEAD. Looks like ya have a great headstart.
Bill

Steve Schlumpf
10-09-2008, 1:54 PM
Joe - I happen to have some of the work I was thinking of saved on my computer and just wanted to share these photos with you. Sometimes you can see things that you like and wish to incorporate into some turnings - sometimes that is not the case. I offer these as food for thought only because you are starting out with hollowing - nothing more.

98312 98313 98314 98315 98316

Use your mouse to hover over the photo to see the name of the turner.

Joe Meirhaeghe
10-09-2008, 7:07 PM
Joe - I happen to have some of the work I was thinking of saved on my computer and just wanted to share these photos with you. Sometimes you can see things that you like and wish to incorporate into some turnings - sometimes that is not the case. I offer these as food for thought only because you are starting out with hollowing - nothing more.

98312 98313 98314 98315 98316

Use your mouse to hover over the photo to see the name of the turner.
Thanks for the Photo's ! They are helpful.
I do plan on trying various forms in the future. I do have about another 10 or 12 vessels ( walnut-maple -pecan) roughed out that are similar to the above vessel. so my next few will be similar. I only air dry them so I'm stuck with this style for awhile. I have changed my last few roughing so that they curve inward at the bottom 1/4 to 1/3 of the turning rather than such a straight side.
I should have my next vessel done in a week or two. It's going to be Hard Maple & similar in form (except for a better more defined rimm) Looks much better to me anyway. But all will be Vase like (that's what I like).

Joseph Peacock
10-11-2008, 9:00 AM
very nice HF Mr.Joe.