PDA

View Full Version : In defense of Sears-CRAFTSMAN....

Jason White
10-07-2008, 7:12 PM
Ok, I'll admit I'm a tool snob. I gave up on Craftsman power tools years ago.

However, I'm doing a siding project on my house and the old DeWalt radial arm saw just wasn't doing the job like I needed it to do.

Because I'm cutting fiber cement (which is very dusty, abrasive stuff), I started looking for a "disposable" 10" sliding compound miter saw. I say "disposable" because I'm pretty sure it'll be thoroughly trashed by the time I finish the entire house.

Harbor Freight had them for $100, but nothing in stock. So off to Sears I went and bought a 10" CRAFTSMAN slider on sale for $200.

I have to say... I expected total garbage but I'm pretty impressed with this saw! I have an older DeWalt 12" CMS, which is a way nicer saw. However, the CRAFTSMAN isn't a bad little saw at all, especially when you consider a really nice slider will set you back $600-700 or more.

The laser guide on the CRAFTSMAN isn't worth a damn, but the sliding action on the saw is silky smooth and it makes perfectly respectable cuts. The dust-collection is a joke -- hooked it up to my Festool vac and I'd be surprised if it got 50% of the dust. The saw is very lightweight (easy to carry around) and I didn't have to do a lot of work to get the saw adjusted properly right out of the box.

All in all, if you're looking for a bargain SCMS, give the 10" Sears a look (model #21237).

Jason

Casey Gooding
10-07-2008, 8:59 PM
I agree that many Craftsman tools are under-rated. While many are far from the best, there are quite a few gems out there.

Andrew Pezzo
10-07-2008, 9:12 PM
I agree 100% with this. I have only been using power tools regularly for a short time and would have never considered a Craftsman. However when looking for a bandsaw the Craftsman Pro 14" model seemed like a great baragin. I decided to bite the bullet and got it during a club sale for just over $400. As fas I am concerned its been some of the best money spent on any tool I own.

Lesson learned - dont believe everything you read, hands on experience can tell a very different story.

Is it possible that they are on the rebound?

Brian Clevenger
10-07-2008, 9:30 PM
I've had two Craftsman tools and both were of very high quality: the 22401 band saw, and the 22124 hybrid table saw.

I sold my 22124 only because I found a heckuva deal on a PM66.

The band saw is set up with a 1/2" blade and it resaws fine. I use another band saw with a 1/4" blade for curves and such.

Don Bullock
10-07-2008, 10:22 PM
I echo the praise for the 22401 band saw. It is an excellent saw for the money (that is when Sears puts them on a sale). As a hobbiest I have found it to be a very useful tool in my shop. I turn to it often when I have a cut that can't be done safely on my table saw or miter saw as well as when I need to cut curves. I haven't, however, used it for resawing yet.

mreza Salav
10-07-2008, 11:09 PM
I echo the praise for the 22401 band saw. It is an excellent saw for the money (that is when Sears puts them on a sale). As a hobbiest I have found it to be a very useful tool in my shop. I turn to it often when I have a cut that can't be done safely on my table saw or miter saw as well as when I need to cut curves. I haven't, however, used it for resawing yet.

I second that. I have actually resawn many times maple, walnut, cherry, all up its capacity (8" that is), with the original blade, no problem!
I think the big plus of it (aside from nice guides) is the cast iron wheels.
Mine is a smooth machine and works very fine.

Denny Rice
10-07-2008, 11:38 PM
I've had two Craftsman tools and both were of very high quality: the 22401 band saw, and the 22124 hybrid table saw.

The band saw is set up with a 1/2" blade and it resaws fine. I use another band saw with a 1/4" blade for curves and such.

I also echo the praise of both these tools. I first purchased the 22401 bandsaw when I caught it on sale and was quite surprised with the quality of this tool. I also have great sucess with the resawing ability of this saw. The only pitfall I give this saw are the guide bearings. After using the saw for about a month the bearings were junk, I went to my local rollerblading store and purchased a high quality set of bearings and this saw purs like a kitten.
And what can one say about the zipcode saw, its built by the same people who build the SS hybrid saw. It has cabinet mounted trunions and has cut everything I have thrown at it with ease. When I purchased it, I will say it took almost 4 hrs to assemble and set up and the instructions that are included are less than can be desired. The only other flaw I have with the zipcode saw is the factory dust collection outlet. It's held on to the saw with 4 very small screws, and its too small for the saw. I upgraded the dust collection to 6" and all I can say is "it really sucks!" LOL:)

Vic Castello
10-08-2008, 12:07 AM
I am proud to say that I own many Craftsman products from lawn tractors and mowers to power washers to trimmers to power tools to hand tools. What I have always like about Sears is that you can get great values on these things if you purchase them at the right time, and you can easily get parts for most items for years and years.

My 21HP, 42 inch cut lawn tractor cost me $1200 on sale. Folks say to me....why a Craftsman??? They don't last as long and they require more maintanance than other brands...say Deere, for example. I tell them..if my tractor lasts me even only 10 years, I paid $120 a year for it. If your $4,000 Deere lasts you 20 years, you paid $200 a year for it. And, they ALL need regular maintainance, or most won't last even 5 years, I don't care what name is on them!

That logic probably goes for a lot of other Craftsman products as well. Just take care of the them, and they will take care of you!

Eric Larsen
10-08-2008, 12:24 AM
I'm of the mind that a ratchet is a ratchet. And a wrench is a wrench. The current sale on mechanic's tools is quite fair, I think, and I plan on picking up their 300-piece "basic" set, and a few other pieces.

Vic Castello
10-08-2008, 12:32 AM
I'm of the mind that a ratchet is a ratchet. And a wrench is a wrench. The current sale on mechanic's tools is quite fair, I think, and I plan on picking up their 300-piece "basic" set, and a few other pieces.

Eric....my wife gave me a set of Craftsman mechanics tools in 1972! Only about 50 pieces which is all most of us needed during a time when you barely need more than a pair of pliers and a screwdriver to work on your car! With medium use over the years, I still have all of them, and they all work fine! I don't think you can go wrong because they are guaranteed for life!

Steve Rozmiarek
10-08-2008, 1:02 AM
I agree, you can find a few gems in the Craftsman line. I got tired of beating up my Klein screwdrivers, so I bought a $10 set of 6 screwdrivers, thinking that they would make useful prybars until they got planted in a field someplace. Not so, pretty fair screwdrivers.

I did buy a dovetail jig once though...:mad:

Steve Schoene
10-08-2008, 1:48 AM
You will then likely be even more pleased when you get a real blade from Timberwolf or Lenox. Blades that come with saws are just so you can set it up.

Chris Kennedy
10-08-2008, 5:39 AM
IMO, the issue with Craftsman is that you never know who actually made the tool. The 22124 saw is a beaut, made by Orion, while down the aisle is a 10" tablesaw made by Ryobi, and then another made by someone completely different.

Their basic hand tools (screwdrivers, wrenches, ratchets) have always been of good quality, and I'll buy them without pausing. Just about anything else -- I do some serious research before taking the plunge.

Cheers,

Chris

Tom Godley
10-08-2008, 6:30 AM
I have more than a few Craftsman tools as well as my lawn-tractor. In general very happy with them.

I happen to be going out to the bakery last Saturday morning and saw a yard sale that said "toys and tools" -- so I stopped. I do not know if the guy worked for Sears or if he was a tool nut but they had all of these brand new Craftsman tools -- from the 70's. I picked up a metric and a standard wrench set -- still in the bag for $7.00 each! By the time I finished I spent $150.00 !

The quality of the wrenches from that period was first rate -- as was the punch set and nail sets.

Ross Ellis
10-08-2008, 6:49 AM
I'm on the other side of the fence from most of you. I used to buy a lot of Craftsman, in one ten year stretch, almost everything Craftsman. Hand tools, power tools and yard equipment. Break a tool, take it back and get a new one. I was perfectly happy with most of my purchases.

Then Kmart bought Sears. I broke a ratchet, took it back like I always had, and got a "similar" rebuilt ratchet as a replacement. Got all the way home, only to discover the replacement was broken.

I have also noticed that getting parts for Sears/Craftsmen products isn't like it used to be. The stores would carry a pretty big assortment of parts. Not so at my local sears. I have gone in for parts and have been told they don't carry parts any longer. I have asked them to order them, which I was told they don't do either. I was referred to the Sears website to order parts and I get to pay the shipping.

I no longer buy anything from Sears. Their tools aren't what they used to be 20 years ago. When I happen to break a wrench or socket, I get a "refurbished" replacement that is no where near the quality of the tool I bought years go.

I don't mess around with their woodworking tools, as Grizzly is close by to me.

Matt Meiser
10-08-2008, 8:24 AM
I'm only old enough to have Craftsman tools that are 20 years old :eek: I've definitely noticed that things like ratchets and tool boxes are lower quality than the ones I got in my first set of tools. I've also noticed the new tools aren't as nicely finished as they used to be--sharper edges and the like. I still think its the best value for somebody like me that uses them for household tasks and occasional vehicle maintenance. When they break its still easy to get replacements and the cost is relatively low. I occasionally break a ratchet--the last one had its guts fall out--and probably take in a couple screwdrivers a year.

The Husky and Kobalt stuff at Home Depot and Lowes looks to be about the same, but the selection isn't as great (for example I couldn't find a 1-1/4" 6 point socket at Lowes) and I don't trust that they will carry them long term as they seem to switch suppliers on a fairly regular basis. If they carry Stanley 2 years from now that lifetime warranty will be useless, like the Popular Mechanics tools Wal-Mart sold about 10 years ago. I got a really nice tool chest for $50 when that deal ended. Actually nicer than most of what Sears sells today. I don't see Sears discontinuing Craftsman and somehow they keep surviving.

Power tools are another story. I believe a junky belt sander I got at an auction for $20 and my reciprocating saw are the only modern Craftsman power tools left. Everything else has either broken or proven inadequate for its intended use. A 1/2" drill burnt up and the router was clumsy, slipped its height adjustment and was hard to get accessories like a plate for a table or template bushings. I had a table saw which wouldn't stay in alignment, had a moving fence, and broke the motor mount after about 2 years. The reciprocating saw has been great, though I do need to put a new plug on it. I did just get a Craftsman scroll saw. But it was made in about 1950, so I don't count that. Came with a Kenmore motor too. :D

Daniel Heine
10-08-2008, 8:55 AM
Hello,

The 22401, and several other Craftsman band saws are actually made by Rikon. This means that they are very high quality tools. I owned one of their 15" lathes made by Palmgren, and UGHHHHHH. What a POS.

The thing I really dislike about Sears is the service. Several years ago, I was in the market for a mower, so I went to Sears. I was finally able to hunt down a sales person(not easy), nd aked him to explain the difference between the 2 mowers I was considering. After about three minutes of serious deliberation, he told me that the one on the left was $249.99, and the one on the right was $299.99. I did not say a word, I just walked out of the store. I drove to the tractor shop in town - owned by a human, and after about an hour of being educated on the merits of various mowers, I left with a brand new Toro.

When Sears cut off their profit sharing plan years ago, they lost all of their knowledgable, experience employees. I hate Sears.

Dan

scott spencer
10-08-2008, 8:56 AM

My 22124 was excellent....upgraded because of a 35% off deal with free s/h on a Shop Fox cab saw. The SF is a different class of saw for sure, but there were some factors that I liked better on the Craftsman hybrid.

My 12" Craftsman BS has been excellent also.

I'm not fond of my older Cman CMS, and have mixed feelings about the cordless drills. But overall, in today's market you just can't buy (or reject) any tool on brand name alone and expect to get the best for the money without doing some comparison research. Sears as a retailer has treated me pretty well, but I've read the stories and understand that each store is different.....YMMV.

Joe Johnson MI
10-08-2008, 12:30 PM
I own several Craftsman tools as well, mostly hand tools. They've served me wonderfully and, as long as you don't lose them, the lifetime warrantee is great. I've never had trouble getting one replaced. But there is a big difference between a Craftsman wrench and a Snapon. When I used to work on Deere tractors we could get come bolts that were pretty set in their ways. If you have to use an open end wrench on a stubborn bolt, you really don't want to settle. Most brands, including Craftsman, will spread, allowing the wrench to slip, damaging the corners of the bolt, not to mention a few kuckles. My main tools were Craftsman, but I found that certain tools needed to be a bit stronger. The same goes for punches and cold chisels. Snapon won't shatter or chip like many of the cheaper brands will. They seldom throw shards.
And, no, I am not a salesman or in any way associated with Snapon. Just a "once was" wrencher who learned to appreciate quality hand tools when my livelihood depended on it. :)

Robby Tacheny
10-08-2008, 1:29 PM
1st Post.

I have several Craftsman Cordless 19.2V tools and I like them. They are sturdy and have good power. After 5 years I did just kill my drill though. I bought a pack with another drill and a right angle drill for $119. I just wish the drills had a keyed chuck or a replaceable chuck. They are very powerful though!

I looked hard at the Craftsman 14" Bandsaw, but decided on a Grizzly GO555x instead. I was going to use my first post to show it setup in my shop, but now I guess I blew it.

Anyway. . . Great forum btw.

-Beez

Larry LaRoque
10-08-2008, 2:46 PM
1st Post.

I have several Craftsman Cordless 19.2V tools and I like them. They are sturdy and have good power. After 5 years I did just kill my drill though. I bought a pack with another drill and a right angle drill for $119. I just wish the drills had a keyed chuck or a replaceable chuck. They are very powerful though!

I looked hard at the Craftsman 14" Bandsaw, but decided on a Grizzly GO555x instead. I was going to use my first post to show it setup in my shop, but now I guess I blew it.

Anyway. . . Great forum btw.

-Beez

I looked at the same 14" bandsaws and went with the Craftsman, haven't regretted it. The decision came down to the fact that I could order it and pick it up the same day with no shipping. I have no doubt that I would have liked the Grizzly just as well, I later bought the Grizzly G0478 hybred saw and love it. BTY welcome to the forum.

Gary Elore
10-08-2008, 3:30 PM
Sears used to seek out quality manufacturers for the Craftsman line of tools. I still use a Craftsman drill press manufactured in the 50's by King Seeley as a dedicated mortiser and it's still a fine tool after all these years.

Their hand tools also used to be of decent quality. It seems though that starting in about the 70's there was a corporate shift away from quality and toward profit and they started marketing some real junk. This was about the time that they jumped on the "PEAK" horsepower bandwagon big time. (always seemed to me that I heard about peak horsepower ratings from Sears first, although someone else could have started it.)

I'm sure that there are some gems in their line-up, but there are also some stinkers. I got a Craftsman detail sander as a gift several years ago that is a total hunk of junk. It looks like new because it never gets used. Absolutely no power, and try using it on an uneven surface and the pads disconnect from the mount.

All in all I'd say that for the past 30 years, Sears has more to be ashamed of than to be proud of in their Craftsman line.

BTW.... I'm not knocking anyone else's opinion or tools. The above is just my personal experience with the line.

Chris Padilla
10-08-2008, 4:08 PM
I'm totally decked out in C-man mechanic's tools and tool chests. Lifetime replacement of stuff I break is hard to beat and I'm pretty tough on my tools if I need to be so I've taken advantage: "How the HE** did you bend that, Sir?!" :D "I was using it normally (NOT! ;) ) and it bent...what can I say?!" :D

I grew up on my father's early 70's C-man contractor's saw and he still has it and turn out nice stuff (something about the skill of the woodworker and not the price of his tools?! haha).

I still won't buy any C-man ww'ing stuff by I'm all over mechanical tools.

Pat Germain
10-08-2008, 4:15 PM
I agree the key words for Craftsman power tools are research and comparison. Their table saws have come a long way since I bought my Craftsman contractor saw back in the mid 90's.

My mom gave me a Craftsman cordless drill several years ago. It came with two batteries. One battery gave out after only a few uses. The other lasted longer, but now it's belly up. I'm debating whether to bother with having the battery rebuilt. It's always nice to have an extra drill around, but I'm not sure a Craftsman example is worth the effort. Compared to the old Makita drills I inherited from my FIL, which absolutely ROCK!, my Craftsman drill is a toy of Wam-O quality.