PDA

View Full Version : Sawstop - Cyclone - Chainsaws

Tom Godley
10-07-2008, 4:01 PM
In my short time on the forum I have gained a lot of knowledge and too many tools :-)

But what is it with the "Big Three" - these threads always hit 25 or 30 posts-!!

What we need is a Sawstop Chainsaw with a built in cyclone -- now that will be a tool.

But will it be able to cut wet wood??

jason lambert
10-07-2008, 4:05 PM
Only in bypass.

Michael Schwartz
10-07-2008, 8:28 PM
Might have the same problem with a Sawstop Turkey Carver

" for use with only a turkey cooked very well done "

Rod Sheridan
10-08-2008, 7:11 AM
I think you guys have it backwards.

What I really need in the shop is a brain start device connected to every piece of machinery in the shop. I already have enough stop functions!

A good example is a couple of months ago, I was cutting a piece of wood for a neighbour who wanted it 3 foot, 6 inches long.

No problem, my metric brain with lightening fast calculating ability comes to the conclusion that I need to measure 36" with my imperial tape measure.

You guessed it, it should have been 42".

I guess on the positive side he won't be back asking for more wood to be cut........Rod.

jason lambert
10-08-2008, 9:44 AM
Dam festool has everyone thinking metric!

Rod Sheridan
10-08-2008, 10:15 AM
Actually Jason, it began about a decade ago when I made some kitchen cabinets. Since they were made to the 32mm system, it made sense to use metric measurements instead of imperial. (I guess Festool is now adding to the trend).

After a while, I realized that it was nice not to have to worry about fractions, so I began working in metric most of the time.

When I ordered my Hammer A3-31, I had the metric planer height gauge specified. It's really nice to need a 20mm thick piece of wood, set the planer for 20mm and that's it.

Far easier to add up millimeters than fractions.

Actually, this brings up a question......The US gallon is smaller than the Imperial gallon, but I believe all other measurements are the same. Any idea why?

Regards, Rod.

Frank Hagan
10-08-2008, 1:51 PM
There are some differences in weight, although Britain has officially changed to the metric system, haven't they? A "hundred weight" was 100 pounds in the US, but 8 stone or something in the UK, so it was just over 100 pounds. There were some other differences like that.

There's also two methods of weight, troy weight, used for precious metals, and avoirdupois weight for everything else. The troy ounce of gold is about 10% heavier than an ounce of feathers (measured in avoirdupois weight). So which weighs more, a pound of gold or a pound of feathers? The real answer is that a pound of gold (measured in troy pounds) weighs more than a pound of feathers (using the avoirdupois measurement).

Peter Quinn
10-08-2008, 6:33 PM
I think you guys have it backwards.

What I really need in the shop is a brain start device connected to every piece of machinery in the shop. I already have enough stop functions!

A good example is a couple of months ago, I was cutting a piece of wood for a neighbour who wanted it 3 foot, 6 inches long.

No problem, my metric brain with lightening fast calculating ability comes to the conclusion that I need to measure 36" with my imperial tape measure.

You guessed it, it should have been 42".

I guess on the positive side he won't be back asking for more wood to be cut........Rod.

A few years ago in the shop i work in we received an architects plans for a 3'6" walnut entry doors. 6 Panel, 2 1/4" thick. As usual, it is tough to build anything more complex than a popsicle stick from most architects plans, so proper shop drawings were made, uhh, and translated, to 36" doors. I did not make them. It was fun the day the doors were delivered to watch several people involved play CYA together. Rod, you are not the only one this has happened to.

As a side note, I did make the next round of walnut doors ordered for a different job, big pocket door slabs. I wound up delivering them too. Turned out the same carpenter was installing as had installed the 3'6" doors. He measured them 3X, and remeasured his openings too. Said he could not fill a 3" gap on each side of a pocket hole door with shims!:D

Rod Sheridan
10-09-2008, 12:51 PM
There are some differences in weight, although Britain has officially changed to the metric system, haven't they? A "hundred weight" was 100 pounds in the US, but 8 stone or something in the UK, so it was just over 100 pounds. There were some other differences like that.

There's also two methods of weight, troy weight, used for precious metals, and avoirdupois weight for everything else. The troy ounce of gold is about 10% heavier than an ounce of feathers (measured in avoirdupois weight). So which weighs more, a pound of gold or a pound of feathers? The real answer is that a pound of gold (measured in troy pounds) weighs more than a pound of feathers (using the avoirdupois measurement).

Thanks Frank, I did some digging and found that the British adopted the new Imperial System in 1824, which was much later than the Revolutionary War of 1775-1783.

So the American system wasn't updated with the British system since you were no longer a colony and developed your own measurement system.

And yes, you are correct, the British use the metric system, as does Canada.

I always wondered why there were a few differences between the Imperial and American system. One thing I did learn is that both systems are now defined by the metric system, which makes sense.

regards, Rod.

Edward Miller
10-09-2008, 1:41 PM

Actually, it's a little more confusing than that--there are but 12 troy ounces in a troy pound, and 16 arvoirdupois ounces in an arvoirdupois pound. So the (arvoirdupois) pound of feathers is actually somewhat heavier than the (troy) pound of gold.