PDA

View Full Version : Drill press......help

David H. Mitchell
10-07-2008, 2:37 PM
:confused:
I have had a Powermatic 1150 drill press for several years, it was a deal I couldn't pass. The man had modified it for a specific use, drilling one size in a production shop. He had changed the column to a short type and bench mounted with a flange. No table, no base, and no column. This thing is a 15" variable speed, with a 1 1/2 hp motor. It is too good to junk, so I decided to re-vamp it. I have a base, a table, but no column. The column diameter is 2 7/8", and nowhere to be found. If you have any ideas on where to get a column, I would sure appreciate the info.\

Dave

Matt Meiser
10-07-2008, 3:19 PM
Are you sure its 2-7/8? The reason I ask is that 2-3/4" is a fairly common size. If so, start purusing Craigslist for cheap drill presses to try to find one with the right size column.

You might post on the OWWM Bring Out Your Dead forum and see if anyone over there has a column. Another option might be to purchase a length of steel tubing from a local steel supplier. Not sure if you'd find 2-7/8 easily if that's really what is is though.

Hank Knight
10-07-2008, 3:26 PM
David, I hope I don't insult you by suggesting the obvious, but have you tried Powermatic? They probably carry the column as an OEM part. If not, they can probably tell you where to find one. Also, the OWWM site is very good for this knd of thing.

Hank

Brent Smith39
10-07-2008, 3:43 PM
I was looking to convert a Clausing drill from a bench to floor model. I did contact Clausing, they had the parts but overall wasn't practical, but I was looking for more than just the column.

Also try www.practicalmachinist.com (http://www.practicalmachinist.com) there might be more users over there with similar equipment, might be worth putting out a WTB.

Good luck

Eric Larsen
10-07-2008, 3:54 PM
I've become pretty good at tracking down powermatic parts after my tablesaw and jointer rebuilds.

Here's a manual and parts list:

http://yabe.algebra.com/~ichudov/misc/ebay/Powermatic-drill-press-manuals/Powermatic-1150-Drill-Press-Manual.pdf

The column part number is 3098209. Powermatic is not showing that in inventory: http://www.powermatic.com/Parts.aspx?part=3098209

However, if you call them, I'll bet they have something from a newer model that will help.

You'll find their customer service is very, very good.

David H. Mitchell
10-07-2008, 4:02 PM
I did try Powermatic, discontinued. They sent me to another supplier, same story. I have contacted Redmonds Machinery, they are trying to find out if they have one left.
I have spent about 8 hours on the internet, nada.

Dave

David H. Mitchell
10-07-2008, 4:55 PM
I think I may have found what I need. It turns out the column is 3". There is a company Plaza Machinery in Bethel, VT. On their website it says they have what I need. Have to email them, no phone other than a Fax.

Thanks,
Dave:)

Hank Knight
10-10-2008, 12:56 PM
David,

If you don't find it at the place in Vermont, e-mail Jeff Hoffman at Walker Turner Serviced Machinery, LLC in Coventry CT. (wtsmllc@juno.net) and ask him He specializes in rebuilding Walker Turner machinery, but I think he does other stuff. He was a great help to me when I rebuilt my drill press and he's a nice guy. If he doesn't have your column, he will probably know where you can find it. If you e-mail him, it might take him a day or two to repond.

Hank