PDA

View Full Version : Anyone order from Don Pencil

Andrew Derhammer
10-07-2008, 2:36 PM
I ordered a lathe buff system and adapter on the night of 9/23 and still no package. when i go to the check the status of your order page it says the status is unknown. I sent an email to him thursday 10/2 but i notice i didn't put a subject and had my website in the email. So i resent him the message w/ a subject and no website. This is bothering me though that 2 weeks later i still have no package when ups says it should take about 5 days with ground service.

David Walser
10-07-2008, 2:53 PM
Andrew,

I've ordered from Don and received good service from him. Try giving him a call at his number listed on the website. When I've called (twice) I've either gotten Don or his wife. The first time I called was to ask about one of his products. Don was very helpful.

The second call was to inquire about why Don had not billed my credit card. I'd received the goods and more than a week later the charge still was not showing up on my online statement. Don's wife laughed and said, "An honest man!" (I try to be.) She explained Don had been at a show and was working to fill all the orders that had come in while he was traveling. Once he'd done that, she said he'd get around to billing my card. He did, too.

Jim Evans
10-07-2008, 3:35 PM
I hesitate to say anything because that is not my style, BUT - there's the but - I have a small issue with Don.
I ordered a few faceplates and another small item from his website. I did not receive one of the items.

I emailed him asking to please double check to see if he shorted the item. I got no response, so a couple weeks later I called and spoke with him and he said he would get the item right out to me.

Nothing showed up. I waited a couple more weeks and emailed again just asking if he thought he really did ship the item or was he going to send it to me.

No response

Waited a couple more weeks - another email just asking for any kind of response. Nothing.

I'm only out about $8 so its not the end of the world. I just wanted some recognition that I was right or he was right.

My only caution ordering from him is the lack of communication. If something is wrong it may be hard to get a resolution.

Andrew Derhammer
10-07-2008, 4:01 PM
I'd be out about $100. And with the grass getting near the end of growing this season, doesn't look like i'll have much money to try again. well i'm going to make a call soon. If i don't get a response i'll try tomorrow, if i can't get word then i'll stop the payment on the cc and order the beall.

Allen Neighbors
10-07-2008, 5:39 PM
I ordered the Scorpion Hollower from him, via email and telephone. He sent it right out, and I've got no complaints. If he's been at a show recently, he may not be back in the loop yet... It's a 'mom & pop' operation, so they probably won't have the quick service that you get out of Amazon, but I don't doubt his honesty. He's a good man... maybe just busy. :)

Andrew Derhammer
10-07-2008, 5:46 PM
I don't doubt him either, just want a buffing system:D

Ralph Edwards
10-07-2008, 6:25 PM
I ordered a buff kit from Don on Sept. 1st. My credit card was charged within a day or two. I received an automated e-mail that my order had been shipped the next day. After 2 weeks and no shipment, I called Don asking for a tracking #. He admitted that the order hadn't been shipped yet. Something about he shop being torn up. He promised to throw in some extra stuff to make up for the delay. After about 11 or 12 more days my order finally came. He had indeed thrown in some nice freebies.
Based on what I'm seeing here and my personal experience I'd deduct that the man is honest but unorganized. I received good value for my money but no one should have to worry about merchandise not being shipped or taking 3 or 4 weeks instead of 4 or 5 days.
Ralph

charlie knighton
10-07-2008, 6:43 PM
i talked to him last night, he seemed concerned with my happiness with his service and offered me some advice on how to use his products. i look forward to receipt of merchandise.

Scott Hubl
10-07-2008, 8:18 PM
I ordered from him and would NEVER order anything from him again.

Took MONTHS to get my order (blems that everyone raved about NOT looking like a "blem") finally came and looked like they were left out in the weather. :( I did not expect perfect but others had claimed they couldn't see or notice any such blemishes on them. I ordered other stuff that was not "blems" as well they were ok.

I placed one phone call to each of the 2 phone numbers listed leaving a nice pleasent message about when they would actually ship, Neither call was ever returned.

In the process of calling/Waiting I also sent 3 emails about when they would finally ship and had Questions about ordering some other items as well, Not one of the emails were ever returned either. The guy runs his business badly in my opinion.

His LOSS as I can easily spend my cash so many other places, and get the C.S. I expect and deserve.

YMMV but my experience with his company was my Last.

Joshua Dinerstein
10-08-2008, 9:28 AM
I ordered his buff system as well. He gets lots of stuff from lots of places. Much of it was back ordered. Rather than cancel my order which he offered me I just waited. I did get it. He is quite literally, as his website indicates, a 1 man operation running out of his home. Sometimes things are packed up nice and ready to roll. Sometimes things are... not.

I was patient and got what I had ordered. + a little bit. When I called I was offered more of the buffing compound and wax. I took it. Little did I know about the slow slow SLOW rate one goes through those mats. So I doubt I will ever need them. But it was nice of him to try.

Don't give up Andrew. From my experience he isn't a crook. Just a little harried at times. If you really come to think he has swiped your money then call the credit card company and dispute the charge.

Good Luck, and keep trying to reach him.

Joshua

Sean Troy
10-08-2008, 10:16 AM
I've never had a problem with an order from Don.

William Bachtel
10-08-2008, 12:29 PM
Sounds like fifty fifty to me. No Thanks.:mad:

Bernie Weishapl
10-08-2008, 2:36 PM
Ordered some time back, waited 4 months, several phone calls/emails and never did get my order. So just sent a e-mail to cancel and stopped payment on my check. Won't waste my time again.

Andrew Derhammer
10-08-2008, 2:45 PM
Life's just hectic right now to be worrying about one more thing. I have a chem teacher giving pop quizzes every other day (sometimes 2 a day) and soon i'll be going through the paperwork and planning for my eagle scout project. I didn't get a chance to call last night so i'll try tonight.

Wade Lippman
10-08-2008, 3:30 PM
A few weeks ago I emailed him to find out shipping on a few blems. Never got a reply.

I did a search on him and came up with this.
I guess it is probably for the best that he didn't reply, because he probably wouldn't have shipped.

I guess that woman on his website can't keep up with demand.

Andrew Derhammer
10-08-2008, 7:08 PM
Just Called Don,
Real considerate guy, he said the shops a mess as it's being reorganized. The order is going out tomorrow, he said he wouldn't have found my order if i didn't call and it would've been another week till it shipped. He apologized and said that he'd throw in some free bowl buffs. So a couple of extra weeks, i guess it may be worth it.

Scott Hubl
10-08-2008, 7:43 PM
Tossing in a couple extras because you have your head up your rear end business wise is no way to run a business.

It isnt like they just up and started this operation last week.

I have heard that LAME excuse "the shop is being reorganized a mess" by others quite some time ago.

You can't keep up, UPDATE your website at the very least.

"We are so sorry orders are taking 8 weeks to fill at this time"

Simple things are all it takes.

Return phone calls in a resonable amount of time.- Instead of Never.
Return email. -Instead of Never.

Keeping a customer informed of their order even when a problem occures is much better than just ignoring them.

All Common courtesy to your customers.

HIRE Help.
Hire a REAL Secratary to handle calls.

I expect MORE from a mom and pop operation, Customer Service is HIGH on that list of going the extra mile that the big box stores can't/won't.

His tools are fine, But all can be had from other people making the same tools, excepting this type of treatment from a small operation ridculous.

Buy a Beall product JR or his wife answers the phone or email in a very timely manner and they take care of you immediatly if you have a problem. ( No excuses, oh my shops a mess lucky you called garbage.)
I had a badly machined aluminum part and emailed beall, got a call back next day, the replacement was in the mail that day, THAT is how you run a successful Business.

That other guy deserves to go OUT of business. IMHO.

Andrew Derhammer
10-08-2008, 8:26 PM
It's a 30% extra to what my original order was.

Mods, no point in this becoming a boxing match, the thread has served it's purpose, scott if you want to talk about this start a new thread and/or pm me.

Dana Berenson
10-09-2008, 6:14 AM
I have not ordered from him but almost every post indicates a non-response from his email address. Maybe it is listed incorrectly on the web site. If you get him on the phone, ask him if the email address on his web site is accurate and working properly.

There is, of course, no excuse for not shipping the orders in the first place ... unless his web orders are going to the wrong email address. You all are seeing the importance of testing the accuracy of what you post on the web.

John Waver
02-25-2009, 6:52 PM
Yesterday (online) I ordered a 3/4" X 16 tpi X 2" blem faceplate, a 3/4" X 16 tpi X 3" blem faceplate, and a 1" X 8 tpi Center Marker. (I have the Jet 1014 which has the 1" X 8" threads and his faceplate blems are dirt cheap but he didn't have any 1" blems.) He called me today to make sure I had placed my order correctly since I was ordering 3/4" plates with the 1" center marker. (I'm gonna machine the 3/4" plates to 1" X 8tpi.) Once he understood what I was doing, he said, "okay, I'll drop them in the mail in the morning." I'll repost later when I get them as to how long shipping took.

Ryan Baker
02-25-2009, 10:13 PM
My experience ordering from Don is very similar to many of you. My order took a really long time to arrive. That would be ok if it was expected, but the automated response stated that the order had already shipped. When the package arrived, it was clear that it hadn't actually shipped until 3-4 weeks after the email indicated. I never got a response to any email inquiries either, which only compounds the communication problem. I'm sure Don is an honest guy, and his products are good, but the business needs work. Most of Don's products are available through other vendors, and I have found that to be a much more reliable way of obtaining his products.

Mike Minto
02-27-2009, 2:35 PM
almost 2 weeks ago i placed an order with him as well; after not receiving it (about 9 days), i called him and he told me he'd been out of state and that my card had been refused - i doubt it, my company told me they had no requests from him, and in the same time frame as ordering from him, i bought a Trend Pro Airshield and Steel City air cleaner. i spoke with him again yesterday, he said he'd run the card and mail it out that day or today - today, still no charge on my card, and i can't get anything but an anwsering maching and no returned call - which he said he'd do if there was a problem with my order. i'll be cancelling my order and going with the beall system, i guess. take this for what it's worth. mike

John Waver
03-03-2009, 6:50 PM
Yesterday (online) I ordered a 3/4" X 16 tpi X 2" blem faceplate, a 3/4" X 16 tpi X 3" blem faceplate, and a 1" X 8 tpi Center Marker. (I have the Jet 1014 which has the 1" X 8" threads and his faceplate blems are dirt cheap but he didn't have any 1" blems.) He called me today to make sure I had placed my order correctly since I was ordering 3/4" plates with the 1" center marker. (I'm gonna machine the 3/4" plates to 1" X 8tpi.) Once he understood what I was doing, he said, "okay, I'll drop them in the mail in the morning." I'll repost later when I get them as to how long shipping took.

On 2/25 I placed the order. On 3/2 I received this email:

This message was sent to you at the request of Don Pencil Woodturning to notify you that the electronic shipment information below has been transmitted to UPS. The physical package(s) may or may not have actually been tendered to UPS for shipment. To verify the actual transit status of your shipment, click on the tracking link below or contact Don Pencil Woodturning directly.

I just checked the tracking number and it still hasn't shipped. I'll keep ya'll udated when it ships.

John Waver
03-11-2009, 7:32 PM
On 2/25 I placed the order. On 3/2 I received this email:

This message was sent to you at the request of Don Pencil Woodturning to notify you that the electronic shipment information below has been transmitted to UPS. The physical package(s) may or may not have actually been tendered to UPS for shipment. To verify the actual transit status of your shipment, click on the tracking link below or contact Don Pencil Woodturning directly.

I just checked the tracking number and it still hasn't shipped. I'll keep ya'll udated when it ships.

My order arrived and I am very happy with all the items. High quality stuff. I will order stuff from him again.