PDA

View Full Version : Matching Walnut??

Chris G
10-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Hi,

I am in the process of finishing my home bar. It has a solid walnut top (that I salvaged from an old bar in PA), with 1/4" walnut panels that will be framed with rails and stiles. I have chosen an amber shellac to finish the walnut plywood with as it best matches the top, has a warm color with the amber shellac, and makes the walnut grain pop out.
My question is can I substitute a a cheaper quality wood for the rails and styles and match it to the walnut? I am trying to save money and my job may move me out of town in the next few years. Can I used poplar, pine, etc. and try to color match to the walnut? If so any ideas on finishing combo? or am I stuck spending the $300-400 on walnut lumber. I know getting walnut would be the best choice, but I am looking for other options and suggestions if anyone has tried this and succeeded.

Thanks,

CHris:confused:

John Keeton
10-07-2008, 11:33 AM
Chris, I don't think you will ever get a "good" match, but poplar would be my choice. Many of the English built antiques used poplar with walnut. You want to avoid the green and dark areas of the poplar, and do some testing to get as close as you can. The grain pattern is much different, and there is some difference in the tone. The walnut will also age much differently than will the poplar.

You are correct in that the best choice is walnut. I would point out that you are going to put a significant amount of labor in this project, and one would hope that the final product would enhance the value of your home. It would be a shame to let $300 stand in the way of an outstanding job that would be a shining point in your bar. I vote for walnut. You will be happier in the long run and will regret any other choice.

Rob Cunningham
10-07-2008, 11:42 AM
Pine or poplar would be a definite no IMO. The grain is completely different and staining either can be problematic. I know you are trying to save money but I would use walnut. I think you will be happier with the finished product. Also, walnut gets lighter in color as it ages where as the stained wood will not.

Larry Fox
10-07-2008, 11:49 AM
I agree with others - get the walnut. Is the design such that you can buy a very little walnut where solid stock is required and do the rest in veneer?

Matthew Voss
10-07-2008, 11:59 AM
Butternut has a grain that resembles Walnut and is approx. $2 less per bf.

Chris G
10-07-2008, 12:19 PM
I will buy a small piece of butternut and try some color matching. If not, Walnut it is. Just wanted some of your experienced opinions... and I thank you for them. Will post pics of my bar room when completed. Its accented with cherry moldings, but the cornerstone is the 20ft bar.

Thanks for the advice.

Chris

Jim Becker
10-07-2008, 9:39 PM
Butternut is sometimes called "white walnut" and is very closely related. The grain and pore pattern will be "darn close". You should be able to use water soluble dyes to tone it to the level you want (remember that walnut gets lighter over time...) and then procede with finishing, using a de-waxed shellac to seal in the dye.

Poplar and most other species would be a waist of time and money...you'll never be able to make them look like walnut.

Bill Woodford
10-08-2008, 5:43 AM
If you are trying to save some money then buy #1 Common - you will get plenty of big pieces for rails and stiles and save close to 40-50%.

Gary Breckenridge
10-08-2008, 10:47 PM
I wonder how long you expect this bar to last. At 5 years it figures out to $60 per year which is kind of costly. If you figure it to be 30 years and a handed down family piece then the cost is only $10 per year.

The grain on pine will never match but you may get the color right. Butternut is a good grain match and can be stained but it is kind of soft for a high wear area. Cheaper walnut with knots and voids may be another idea.

Post pictures and tell us your choice when finished.