PDA

View Full Version : Veneer Grade cherry logs

Leland Berry
10-07-2008, 9:26 AM
Does anyone know who processes veneer logs ? (i.e. makes the flitches ?) Hopefully in the central US but, anywhere is O.K.--

Dennis Peacock
10-07-2008, 9:49 AM
I'm sure this can be found out for ya, but what indicators do you have to point to a good veneer grade cherry? If it is highly figured, I bet you would have no troubles at all of getting the log sections sold.

I do know of a very large black walnut that Mark Cothren and I went to Batesville and got what was left of the HUGE tree as some veneer/logging company came and got the primary trunks for Walnut veneer.

Leland Berry
10-07-2008, 10:18 AM
Thanks Dennis-I'm not sure of the quality-since I've not cut them yet, but
each cut is as clean as can be-No infestation-no checks-very solid, plus
they are especially straight- Maybe its a gut feeling or optomism, but I'll look at the US Forest Serv for more info-

Steve Clardy
10-07-2008, 12:16 PM
Contact you local state forester for help.

Leland Berry
10-10-2008, 10:01 AM
Thanks to those who chimed in- Guess I'll wing it and see whats under the bark in a couple of weeks. THEN, I'll take the pics.

Jan Williamson
10-13-2008, 12:36 PM
Timber Products INC. in Medford Oregon, Yreka California, and not sure of the city in Michigan. Columbia plywood in Klamath Falls Oregon.
My Husband manages the one in Yreka. The veneer mill in Yreka peels logs for plywood. The Medford mill make the plywood, and the Michigan mill peels hardwood. Columbia Plywood peels and makes hardwood plywood.