PDA

View Full Version : My solution to the Laguna Plat. Horiz. mortiser not mortising 3/4" stock

Mike Heidrick
10-07-2008, 12:20 AM
The newest Laguna Platnium horizontal slot mortiser will not mortise a 3/4" thick board out of the crate. Here was my solution: 3/4" BB plywood with rare earth magnets embedded in the bottom sized to fit the existing table width, added some Kreg Klamp track. Put 3/4" BB in the middle as well - it will get a Miter track as well very shortly and this piece screws on and is replaceable/changeable. Then I made brackets that hold the posts for my air-clamps that I got from JDS from their multirouterm (thanks John). These ride in the Klamp track. I can also use regular Kreg Klamps. Also the Kreg blocks square up everything. I like it!

The air clamps can also be used in My Kreg station! I will post that in a different thread.

Scott Rollins
10-07-2008, 5:31 AM
nice idea. I have been following the threads on the laguna...looks like a good machine.

Jonathan A Smith
04-26-2014, 3:19 PM
So let me get this clear: You used one full-size sheet of BB ply, and then on top of that are the clamp tracks and another filler sheet of BB? That lifts the work up 1.5", right? Is that far enough? Also wondering whether anybody leaves the cast cowling off of the chuck to allow it to come in close, thus allowing for short bits.