PDA

View Full Version : Porter Cable 5362 Router

Homer Faucett
10-06-2008, 10:11 PM
I picked up an older Porter Cable Router, a "Speedmatic" Model 5362 "Extra Heavy Duty Motor" 8 amp router. I've done some searching, but can't find much on this router, other than the fact that if I need a replacement part from toolpartsdirect, I'll need to take out a second mortgage. The router runs just fine, has seen some use, and looks like it needs a cam clamp to lock the motor down. I'd love to see a schematic if anyone has the owner's manual or a diagram. Amazingly, it has a sticker on it that says "Proudly Made in USA." I don't see that much anymore.

Joe Jensen
11-08-2008, 4:41 PM
I have the same router. Back when this router was in production, Porter Cable had this one and the 690. The 690 was about 1/2 the price of the 536 (5362 motor and 5361 base). This was is supposed to have the same horsepower as the 690, but heavier built for commercial applications.

Here is a link to a parts diagram.
http://www.dewaltservicenet.com/Products/DocumentView.aspx?productid=63573&typeId=12063&documentId=30658

Best wishes. I had one, and three bases years ago. Someone stole the router without a base from my open garage door like 15 years ago. At that point they had discontinued production. I was on a business trip and had a couple of extra hours so I called few dealers in the SF area and found one that had a new one in the box. So I now have the excellent condition was new motor, and 4 bases. I have one under my router plate, one with a small opening, one with a large opening, and one another jig.

If you need more than the online stuff, PM me and I'll try to find the manual...joe

Homer Faucett
11-09-2008, 6:08 AM
Thanks, Joe. I did run down the parts diagram, and greatly appreciate your response. It looks to be a solid router, although I am a bit surprised to see that the base is locked simply by turning a thumb nut on a bolt. Mine doesn't even have the thumb nut--the previous owner replaced it with two regular nuts. He obviously either broke or lost the thumb nut.

It looks like a great router, especially since I picked it up for $10. If I find a spare 690 base, I think I'll pick one up to make this a little more user-friendly. This will be the only USA-made router in my stable, and I think I'll enjoy it.