PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Cedar?

Mark Kelly
05-17-2004, 11:30 AM
What is the appropriate way to finish cedar that is to be outside and painted? Does it have to be primed? I have heard also of people using BLO first, then painting it. This is for trim on a new shed. Thanks!

Chris Padilla
05-17-2004, 11:33 AM
Use a good acrylic latex for the top coat and by all means, a good primer, too. David Rose recently went through all this...do a search on threads started by him...it was not 2 weeks ago.

Mark Kelly
05-17-2004, 12:11 PM
I read that thread and it was more about the type of paint rather than an appropriate finishing technique. Although I may have had the wrong thread, I did learn a little more about what I want to do.

Chris Padilla
05-17-2004, 12:35 PM
I wouldn't bother with BLO...frankly, I don't see the point. In your case, the only thing BLO would be good for is thining out any oil-base paint/primer you might choose but I would stick with acrylic latex for any outdoor jobs.

Kelly C. Hanna
05-17-2004, 3:46 PM
Any exterior wood should be primed if you are going to paint it. Skip the BLO unless you want to use marine poly for the finish.

Tom Peterson
05-17-2004, 10:26 PM
If you want it to last, seal all four sides of the materail and the end grain at the cut-off. Moisture will seep in from all over. I did my shed with this method and have had no failure of the top coat. the house on the other hand in need of work.