PDA

View Full Version : Something different. Cedar/Spalted maple

Toney Robertson
10-06-2008, 7:54 PM
Even though it is different you just knew I would get some spalted maple in there somewhere. ;)

The base and top are not attached. Just ask my wife, I brought it home and she proceeded to pick it up by the base and dump the top before I could stop her. :eek: No major damage done but did make my heart skip a beat.

The base is 4" across the top and 3" high. The top is 11" x 2 1/4". Antique Oil finish. I think I will buff it but have not yet.

As always, comments welcome.

Toney

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/151-51.jpg

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj101/iublue/151-51A.jpg

Bernie Weishapl
10-06-2008, 8:15 PM
Toney that is a beautiful bowl. Man that cedar has some great color. The base is really cool. I like it.

Dewey Torres
10-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Very well put together. Thanks for sharing!

Steve Schlumpf
10-06-2008, 10:38 PM
Toney - I think you just discovered your series! This works in so many ways - great wood color combinations, clean designs, beautiful woods, soft finishes and a unique stand to display the bowl. Cool idea! If you repeated the general idea with different woods - you have your series and it is also something that can be identifiable as one of your creations!

Very nice work!

Curt Fuller
10-07-2008, 7:29 AM
Well, I love the bowl and the base, but not together. They're both such highly figured woods that they fight with each other for attention. And I don't think the two colors do much for each other. I think a blackwood or ebony base, with the same design would, would enhance any bowl. The base design is really nice. Or the spalted maple base with a plain blackwood bowl would have the same affect. But that's just one persons opinion. That cedar bowl is really nice too!

jeremy levine
10-07-2008, 8:28 AM
Well, I love the bowl and the base, but not together. They're both such highly figured woods that they fight with each other for attention. And I don't think the two colors do much for each other. I think a blackwood or ebony base, with the same design would, would enhance any bowl. The base design is really nice. Or the spalted maple base with a plain blackwood bowl would have the same affect. But that's just one persons opinion. That cedar bowl is really nice too! I really like the combo, but Curt's comments might make it even better.

Toney Robertson
10-07-2008, 7:16 PM
Well, I love the bowl and the base, but not together. They're both such highly figured woods that they fight with each other for attention. And I don't think the two colors do much for each other. I think a blackwood or ebony base, with the same design would, would enhance any bowl. The base design is really nice. Or the spalted maple base with a plain blackwood bowl would have the same affect. But that's just one persons opinion. That cedar bowl is really nice too!

Curt,

I appreciate the comments. Constructive criticism is always welcomed.

I had not thought about the two woods having any conflict but now that you point it out I can see how you could have a valid point.

I will try a different combination and post it. Let me know what you think.

Thanks,

Toney

Kurt Bernat
10-07-2008, 8:04 PM
Really nice. Cedar being so soft, is it a lot easier to turn than the maple?

Toney Robertson
10-08-2008, 5:40 AM
Really nice. Cedar being so soft, is it a lot easier to turn than the maple?

IMO I would have to say no, cedar is not easier to turn than maple. It is much easier for me to make a mistake and get a little to deep here or there.

And when it comes to sanding soft wood is a pain in the neck! It seems like you have to sand forever on each grit to remove the lines from the last one and I don't skip grits.

I have even left marks on it from my fingernails as I was handling it. I usually try to wear gloves now when sanding or buffing it.

Love the smell of the wood but I would take almost any hardwood over it in a heartbeat.

YMMV

Toney