PDA

View Full Version : Woodworkers Guild of America DVD

Don Abele
10-06-2008, 7:35 PM
Did anyone else get one of these in the mail? I got this today, completely unsolicited. What's really weird is that they include a return envelope and directions for returning the dvd (sans case) to them if I don't want to keep it. Of course you have to read everything to find where it says that your not under any obligation to return it to them. I wonder how many they actually get returned to them. Anyway, haven't had a chance to view it yet - wondering if anyone else got one.

Be well,

Doc

Dave Lehnert
10-06-2008, 8:11 PM
Yep! Got one on Saturday. Thought the whole thing was strange. Like you said needed to read everything to see you did not have to send it back. I was ready to call the post office. I have not yet looked at it.

richard poitras
10-06-2008, 8:13 PM
Don, I got one the other day too. Basically it’s a video on how to build cabinets. I thought it was pretty good in regards how to build them and some good tips. It is geared for the first time builder or someone new to the construction process. As far as being solicited in the fashion in which they are doing it, I know I don’t particularly like it and am not responding to them in anyway. I have just found over the years to just ignore certain kinds of sales tactics.. To each his own I guess…

mike holden
10-07-2008, 7:11 AM
Havent got the DVD yet, but did get a hard cover book from one of the magazines recently. Then got a follow up mail this week. "please respond" - sorry, unsolicited mail is the recipient's. If you did not order, and it came by US Mail - consider it a gift.
Mike

Michael McCoy
10-07-2008, 7:16 AM
They did the same thing about a year ago. I didn't check it out, didn't return it, and just throw the follow up monthly mail reminding me that I didn't send it back into the trash without reading it either.

Don Orr
10-07-2008, 9:22 AM
My wife made me a copy and I sent the original back per instructions. No cost to me in time or money and I have a copy. Didn't watch much but it looks OK. I'm just getting started in flat work. Maybe it'll be helpful.

John Eaton
10-07-2008, 9:29 AM
I got one too.

Lon LeBlanc
10-07-2008, 9:50 AM
Yep, got one yesterday. Haven't looked at it, but was planning to view it this weekend. Don't plan on returning it. I love early Christmas gifts. :D

Lon

Larry Anderson
10-08-2008, 10:49 PM
I got it today and found it interesting and informative.

Jim Becker
10-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Hmmm...another incarnation of the Handyman Club or the Fishermans' Club?? ;)

Don Abele
10-08-2008, 11:07 PM
No, not really Jim. They are strictly trying to sell videos. It's a "every 2-3 months we'll send you the next one" set-up. And you can send any of them back free of charge with no obligation to buy any more. Of course, you have to pay $12.95 for the one they sent you for free to "enroll".

I've just finished watching it about 10 minutes ago. It's 3 hours long and I watched an hour each night since I got it. It's a well done video. The host is personable and easy to follow. He builds a cabinet and uses A LOT of techniques along the way and provides a plethora of tips along the way (many I've never heard before).

All in all a nice video, nice tips. Will I pay for it - NO. So I also will not join their "guild". Why? Because I don't like this type of marketing, no matter how good the information.

Be well,

Doc

Harish C. Mathur
10-09-2008, 6:29 AM
I got one too. I found it interesting that they ask that you send it back if you don't want it so they can send it to another woodworker to try out...

I doubt that it cost effective for them to pay for shipping back, make sure the DVD is in good shape, put in a new case and then resent to it out again. I guess they are trying to refine their distribution list (makes it more valuable). I'm guessing they got my name and address from either WOOD Magazine or Amazon.com. Beyond the box stores, the only place I've bought any woodworking related stuff recently. In this case, I don't really mind -- I found the DVD interesting!

Ray Moser
10-09-2008, 7:43 AM
Thanks. I got mine and put in on top of the DVD player with the intention of watching it but forgot all about it until this thread reminded me.

glenn bradley
10-09-2008, 8:08 AM
Got one. Very basic. Ignored the request for return. Anyone who sends me unsolicited items does so at their own peril. I would gladly sign a bill that would required all 'spray and pray' mailers to pay return postage on anything I refused. It would keep the post office employees working and make targeted mailings more cost effective for these yo-yo's. I pass my recylcing bin on the way to the house from the mailbox. I must dump half a cubic foot of junk every week right back into the system.

chet Weatherl
10-09-2008, 11:31 AM
I too recieved the DVD. It is well done but I cant see joining something like that for an undisclosed amount per video.

Duncan Horner
10-22-2008, 12:32 AM
Hey, I want one, I'm getting started on cabinets too, could use a little primer, how do I get on these mailing lists? lol

Ken Fitzgerald
10-22-2008, 12:47 AM
Duncan,

They have a webpage at wwgoa dot com

Duncan Horner
10-22-2008, 1:16 AM
TY Sir :)

Been lurking a couple of weeks now, picking up tips and tricks, and offering what little I have in return. Great site

Lee Schierer
11-05-2008, 10:23 AM
I didn't get one :( but I did see on another site an interesting way to stop unsolicited junk mail.End junk mail (http://www.vertical-visions.com/_temp/postagepaid/index2.html)

I've often wondered if you could do this. It might be a good way to get rid of excess sawdust and planer shavings. :D

Harish C. Mathur
11-05-2008, 10:58 AM
I didn't get one :( but I did see on another site an interesting way to stop unsolicited junk mail.End junk mail (http://www.vertical-visions.com/_temp/postagepaid/index2.html)

I've often wondered if you could do this. It might be a good way to get rid of excess sawdust and planer shavings. :D

That is so funny!!

Dave Falkenstein
11-05-2008, 11:09 AM
I got one a few days ago. I dutifully put the CD in the envelope provided and returned it. I hope they will now take me off their mailing list.

Steve Clardy
11-05-2008, 11:27 AM

I'll have to try that. ROFLOL :D

Brian Effinger
11-05-2008, 11:29 AM

That's Great! :D I wouldn't do it with this dvd, but I would definetely do it to all of the credit card offers I get. heheheheehehe

Dave Falkenstein
11-05-2008, 11:30 AM
George,

At $21.95 plus shipping and handling, I somehow doubt that your "...sole mission is to get these DVDs into your hands...". Isn't there just a little profit motivation?

So I decided I "don't want to continue participating". But I tossed the stuff you had sent me in the mail. Not being one to give up easily, I found your web site and went there looking for a toll-free phone number and/or an email address for your customer service department. Perhaps I missed seeing it, but I could not find a way to contact your customer service. Hmmm.

David Keller NC
11-05-2008, 11:42 AM
"Got one. Very basic. Ignored the request for return. Anyone who sends me unsolicited items does so at their own peril. I would gladly sign a bill that would required all 'spray and pray' mailers to pay return postage on anything I refused. It would keep the post office employees working and make targeted mailings more cost effective for these yo-yo's. I pass my recylcing bin on the way to the house from the mailbox. I must dump half a cubic foot of junk every week right back into the system."

I agree. Unsolicited marketing is the bane of modern society (spam, mass mailings, telemarketers). I don't care for what our congress does most of the time, but with one exception - the government do-not-call registry was one of the most inspired pieces of legislation to come out of our democracy in the last 20 years at least. I just wish it'd applied to political campaigns and charitable organizations. As soon as the commercial applications of telemarketing were restricted by the bill, it seems the volume of calls from non-profits and political campaigns skyrocketed. I suspect the telemarketing firms just shifted their customer list. :(

Larry Fox
11-05-2008, 1:34 PM
I got one also. Threw it into the pile with the rest of the mail that eventually makes it's way into the circular file. Unsolicited mail never gets a return in my house. I actually think that returning it will get you bumped to the top of their mailing list as returning it means a couple of things: 1) you received it 2) you actually read it and 3) you took the time to follow the instructions and return it. This tells them that you are receptive to mail - maybe just not THIS mail. Companies sell these lists all over the place. Sometimes there are "ringer" addresses in them. These are addresses that are setup and included just to see if the list has been sold. If they get one back from you they also know your address is not one of these "ringers".

Pat Germain
11-05-2008, 4:31 PM

No offense Lee, but I'm not buying this. As I understand it, whenever someone attaches a postage-paid envelope to an object of any kind, the Post Office just throws it away. (And I'm wondering if you could get fined if it was something like a tire.)

There was a trend some years ago where people were attaching postage-paid envelopes to bricks and mailing them. People thought they were getting one over on the spammers. In reality, they were just wasting their own time and the time of the postal workers who had to throw the bricks away.

Even if the Post Office did deliver the junk and charge the company, whomever received it would have no connection to whomever maintains the mailing lists. Therefore, there's no way such activity would result in getting removed from mailing lists.

There are web sites where you can request to be removed from mailing lists. I've heard differing opinions as to how effective they are. Most people agree it helps at least somewhat.

Jason Beam
11-05-2008, 6:04 PM
I got one a few days ago. I dutifully put the CD in the envelope provided and returned it. I hope they will now take me off their mailing list.

What I'm willing to bet you did, i'm afraid, was to confirm a good address on their mailing list to make it more valuable to them. Confirmed Hits are pure gold to soliciters.

Anthony Whitesell
11-25-2008, 11:31 AM
I just got one yesterday. (guess I'm way down on the list, my last name does start with a 'W').

I checked the website. $21.95 each plus $5.95 S&H per video (beyond the first one). A little steep for a DVD. They don't list any other information as to what may be in the other videos either.

Oh, well. Thanks, for the DVD.

Ben Rafael
11-25-2008, 12:43 PM

You can contact your delivery post office and they will stop delivery of all 3rd class mail to you. Just remember, some of those woodworking mail we all receive are sent 3rd class.

Don Bullock
11-25-2008, 6:01 PM
I just got one yesterday. (guess I'm way down on the list, my last name does start with a 'W').

I must be farther down on their list because I haven't received one yet.;):D AND I don't want to either.

Mark Singer
06-16-2009, 9:14 AM
It is a dvd on building plywood cabinets and not really very good IMHO. It seems pushy to just send these out without someone purchasing first:confused:

Don Bullock
06-16-2009, 9:25 AM
It is a dvd on building plywood cabinets and not really very good IMHO. It seems pushy to just send these out without someone purchasing first:confused:

Mark, thank you for your analysis. After saying that I didn't want one, I've now received two. No, I'm not returning or paying for either one. Doing so just encourages other companies to try the same sales strategy.

Jamie Cowan
06-16-2009, 9:59 AM
Ugh. I got one. I just threw it out, as I didn't ask for it, and felt a little put out for having to mail it back. Not a big deal, but I was annoyed. Thought that would be the end of it. Boy was I wrong. They mail me letters asking for it back every week or two. By now, they have spent more on postage than they could hope to get from me. What were these people thinking? Now they have annoyed me to the point that I want nothing to do with them.

Jim Becker
06-16-2009, 8:58 PM
I did not open the envelope....I took a Sharpie, crossed out my address and wrote, "Refused. Return to Sender" on the outside of the original envelope.

John Keeton
06-16-2009, 9:44 PM
They mail me letters asking for it back every week or two. By now, they have spent more on postage than they could hope to get from me.I laid mine over to the side, and waited for all the letters. I just toss them, and grin over how much effort they are putting into trying to hook me!!;)

Thomas Wa
06-23-2009, 5:20 PM
I just received their follow up letter ...

"I've heard from most of you who received this special offer and the response has been overwhelming! But I haven't heard from you."

George Vondriska
Master of Instruction, WWGOA

Doh! Really? Listen up George, don't hold your breath... :D

Steve Clardy
06-26-2009, 8:16 PM
doh! Really? Listen up george, don't hold your breath... :d

roflol :d:d:d

Jeff Dege
06-26-2009, 11:51 PM
Yep! Got one on Saturday. Thought the whole thing was strange. Like you said needed to read everything to see you did not have to send it back. I was ready to call the post office. I have not yet looked at it.
If you had no business arrangement with them, you were under no legal obligation to return it, regardless of what they might have said in the letter.

Matt Walton
07-01-2009, 10:33 AM
I got one, and what was really enticing for me was that tape measure with a built in pencil sharpener!
LOL :D