PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Accident (not injury)

Sean Kinn
10-06-2008, 5:59 PM
Well you ever have one of those days? Started off this morning when the wife (following behind me) and I were caught in the middle of a near 6 car pile up. We managed to get out unscathed...but a couple of cars behind us may have smacked into eachother. Traffic and safety dictated we just get on our way and clear out of the area, so I didn't park the car to go back and look.

Now the bandsaw accident that topped the evening off...and this takes the cake for bizarre machinery incidents.

I have a 1 car garage I work in, so my machines are all on wheels and get moved around several times per week. So I get home, stick my hand into the garage and hit the button for the electric opener. A few seconds later I hear a tremendous crash. I rush into the garage to find my G0555x laying on its side. Turns out that the little "safety emergency release tether" got caught in the quick release tension lever and yanked the saw over. Seems like the only damage is the trunion bracket, and the washer on the riser block that gave way and turned into a taco. Thus far I haven't spotted and cast iron damage. So there's a new one to watch out for folks.

Peter Quinn
10-06-2008, 6:27 PM
Sorry to hear that. SUCKS is how I would describe that. UGGh.

Steve Clardy
10-06-2008, 7:43 PM
Oops..............

Eric Larsen
10-06-2008, 7:53 PM
Don't you just want to smack yourself when things like that happen?

Shawn Buonarosa
10-06-2008, 10:11 PM
Man, what do you have? A 5hp garage door motor?
Funny that garage doors don't have the same safety system that engages when it hits something going down, as they do going up...

Sean Kinn
10-07-2008, 6:08 AM
Man, what do you have? A 5hp garage door motor?
Funny that garage doors don't have the same safety system that engages when it hits something going down, as they do going up...

Nope, plain jane 1/2hp Crapsman that is about 14 years old. The G0555x is just very top heavy, and that emergency release pull caught it up above all the weight. I tested it's "tippy-ness" afterwards and it takes a surprisingly small amount of force to tip it, when it is applied that high up.

I was too sick about it to give it a full inspection last night. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it is only the $27 trunnion bracket, and washer on the riser block.