PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Aluminum on TS - Aftermath

Russ Filtz
05-17-2004, 10:58 AM
Cutting the shower door extrusions on the TS was pretty smooth. A little louder than wood, but went through cleanly and with less effort. Only problem as someone mentioned was all the little shavings that go everywhere (including down your shoes and stick to clothes!). You definitely have to vacuum afterwards. Next time I might try a full Tyvek suit! :p

John M. Cioffi
05-17-2004, 3:29 PM
Cutting the shower door extrusions on the TS was pretty smooth. A little louder than wood, but went through cleanly and with less effort. Only problem as someone mentioned was all the little shavings that go everywhere (including down your shoes and stick to clothes!). You definitely have to vacuum afterwards. Next time I might try a full Tyvek suit! :p
Hi Russ,

Have you concidered using the bandsaw?:cool:
don't know if you have one, but if you do, it is a great way to handle these types of jobs.Especially if you have the Timberwolf blades. please make sure you always wear some eye protection.
Did you get any chattering from the saw blade on the tablesaw,during the cut?

John

Russ Filtz
05-17-2004, 3:43 PM
No bandsaw, so no real option other than jigsaw or hacksaw. Wanted a straight clean cut. No chattering at all, went through clean with minimal effort, easier than some wood I've cut! Used a shooting board which made it even easier.

Alan Turner
05-17-2004, 4:25 PM
Russ,
I just cut a bunch of Alum. on the TS, and you are right; what a mess. Goggles are a necessity. I was glad when it was over, and I (and the shop) were deburred.
Alan

Byron Trantham
05-17-2004, 9:44 PM
I haven't cut aluminum yet, but let me tell you melamine sticks to you like glue. :mad: Those little tiny pieces of plastic are sharp and attach themselves to anything like cloth - my shirt, my shop apron, my hair.... :o