PDA

View Full Version : Bowl Blank Prep

Bill Mitchel
10-06-2008, 5:40 PM
Here's a newbie question for you guys. I found some logs from the parks dept, they are anywhere from 10 to 15 in dia. They also had some that were Y shaped from a branch and also a couple peices of burl. What is the best way to cut these? I'm not tied into a project so I can use it for anything. I'm more interested on what to do with the one's with a branch coming off the main or the burl, I cut up some of the straight logs last night and rough turned a few. They must have just dumped them there, they were wet and turned nicely and are sitting on a shelf drying.

Thanks
Bill

Dennis Ford
10-06-2008, 7:36 PM
If you make a cut that passes through the pith of all three legs of the "Y", often get excellent platter (or shallow bowl) blanks. Sometimes there is a bark inclusion that screws up this plan.

Steve Schlumpf
10-06-2008, 11:09 PM
Bill - I agree with Dennis - just cut through the pith of all 3 legs of the 'Y'.

You didn't go into any detail about the bowls you turned. Being that you stated you were a newby, I want to ask if you turned the bowls thin and are going to let them warp as they dry - or - did you turn them to 10% of the diameter and are taking care to dry them so they don't crack or check? Just curious as I don't want to see you put all your effort into turning just to have the piece crack on you.

Bill Mitchel
10-07-2008, 7:46 AM
Thanks, do I completly cut out the pith (a cut on either side) or just down the middle?
Steve - I rough turned them to about 10% and tried the microwave method. I'll see how they are this weekend. I also was going to try to dry some with DNA and see which worked best.

Thanks
Bill

Steve Schlumpf
10-07-2008, 8:13 AM
Bill - cutting through the pith only works if you are going to turn away that portion of the wood - and very soon or else the wood will start to crack. So, if you do not plan on turning the crotch wood right after cutting it - then cut the wood on either side of the pith and anchorseal it or place in plastic bags to control the loss of moisture.

There are a number of options to dry your green turnings - most depend on how long you want to wait. You did the microwave and are aware of the DNA method. You can also place the turning in wet shavings in a brown paper bag and place on the shelf for 6 months to a year to get the blank to dry. The key thing about drying wood is to control the drying process so the wood doesn't crack on you.