PDA

View Full Version : Stool

Mike Peace
10-06-2008, 5:07 PM
I recently attended a Bonnie Klein demo at the Turning Southern Style Symposium in Helen, GA. She showed how to design and turn a four legged stool. I made this one for my granddaughter who has not started walking yet. It is made of white oak finished with Tung Oil finish. The seat is 11" in diameter and it is about 11" tall.

Bernie Weishapl
10-06-2008, 5:11 PM
Mike that is a good looking stool. She may not know it now but she will treasure that one. Well done.

Pete Jordan
10-06-2008, 6:06 PM
That is awesome Mike!
Is the top 2 pieces?

David Walser
10-06-2008, 6:09 PM
Mike,

That is one nice stool. It looks like it would be a fun project to make and one that would be used by your family for years to come.

Robert McGowen
10-06-2008, 7:01 PM
Very nice craftsmanship. Did you make a jig to lay out the holes for the legs and top?

Ken Fitzgerald
10-06-2008, 7:04 PM
Very nicely done Mike! That will be used by generations to come!

Steve Schlumpf
10-06-2008, 7:20 PM
Outstanding work Mike! Nothing better than making something for the grandkids! Very nice style to the stool and it looks like it should last her long enough to hand it down to her granddaughter! Doesn't get much better than that! Very nice work Mike! Thanks for sharing!

Steve Mellott
10-06-2008, 8:14 PM
Mike: I will offer my compliments as well. Can't wait to see it.

Steve

Allen Neighbors
10-06-2008, 9:45 PM
Absolutely Beautimous! Drilling those holes would stimey me! What a gift!!

Mike Peace
10-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Pete, yes I jointed a 6" X 1 3/4' plank and glued it up for the seat. The legs were 1 3/4".

Robert, yes I made a jig for the holes but made it too small to be effective so wound up using a protracter.

Allen, Bonnie spends considerable time explaining how to make a full size drawing to get your measurements and angles for drilling. Her handout is on her web site but you are exactly right that the holes are the tricky part. You drill the legs before turning. Fortunately, fellow Creeker, Steve Mellott, attended the same demo and was able to help me decipher my notes and the drawings from the demo.