PDA

View Full Version : 9" or 12" combination sander??

Thomas Walker
05-17-2004, 9:43 AM
Which size disk would you recommend?

Tom Hintz
05-17-2004, 11:01 AM
My wallet would say 9" but I'd know all along I'd run into a 12" project before the motor got warmed up...
Seriously though, I never seem to have enough sander for what I want to sand, or should sand. I guess if the bucks are there, I'd go 12"

Jim Becker
05-17-2004, 11:53 AM
I feel the same way as Tom...the 12" is better in the long run. Further, most machines with a 12" disk are substantially heavier and usually have cast iron tables, rather than aluminum. That's really desirable.

That all said...before you go for a combo sander, think about what you will be sanding and why. I bought a combo (G1276) which I'm very, very happy with, but probably would have been better served by an edge sander. I've only used the disk once in over a year of owning the machine and that time was only because I didn't feel like moving the cabinet to get to the belt for a small, quick sanding operation. All of these sanders are for shaping wood (not finish work), so choose the type that best suits the size and characteristics of the material you will be working with them.