PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for Table Saw Mobile Base

Robert Strebler
10-06-2008, 3:27 PM
I pulled the trigger today and ordered a Steel City Granite table saw with a 30" fence from my local WoodCraft. This will be going into a smallish shop area so it needs to be mobile. I currently have my Grizzly g0513x2 on a Shop Fox mobile base and have been very unimpressed with it. It's very tough to move around the shop which doesn't have a completely level floor..

What I'm looking for is a mobile base that will make it easy to push the saw around the shop, but locks down securely.

What would be your suggestion for a mobile base? Also, has anyone tried the Steel City bases?

Thanks in advance!

Matt Benton
10-06-2008, 4:19 PM
Do a search for posts by Cary Falk. Probably the best mobile base design for a table saw I've seen yet...

Cary Falk
10-06-2008, 6:59 PM
Do a search for posts by Cary Falk. Probably the best mobile base design for a table saw I've seen yet...

Thanks for the compliments Matt.
Here are some pictures:
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0310a.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0324a.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0323a.jpg
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0326a.jpg

Steven J Corpstein
10-06-2008, 7:12 PM
What I'm looking for is a mobile base that will make it easy to push the saw around the shop, but locks down securely.

I have a rather heavy General 650 with a sliding table and large outfeed extension that needs to move around a lot and have been very happy with my HTC Products HGS-10-EX mobile base. It's well made and doesn't move once the foot locks are set.

Robert Chapman
10-07-2008, 6:18 AM
I have the Steel City mobile basefor my TS. It works pretty well. Just got a Jet mobile base for a new Jet jointer and I like the quality of this base. The Steel City has levelers in front the Jet has no levelers.

Rod Sheridan
10-07-2008, 7:29 AM
Hi, I made the base for my General 650 out of 2" X 2" X3/16" hot rolled steel angle.

The casters are Colson, the upright black tube in the left is the support for the Excalibur overarm guard.

The large casters roll well on the iregular floor have, and the swivel casters lock in place.

Regards, Rod.

Aarennar Krishnan
11-02-2008, 10:30 AM
Hi Cary and Rod,

Great looking bases. I was wondering if I could get more details from you, or you had a plan for it or something.

Specifically, my questions were
(a) what holds up the saw? ie, the base between the stretchers - plywood or hardwood? The pictures do not show that part. How does it join to the stretchers?
(b) What size Castors did you use, and where did you get'em ?
(c) At stationary position, does the whole thing rest on the wheels? If so, isn't the stability affected in any way?
(d) Rod, where'd you get the hot rolled steel angles? Did you cut'em to size yourself or did they cut it for you? How about the holes for the bolts?

I know, too many questions. Thing is, I managed to get my hands on a Unisaw for cheap, and would like to keep it 'movable'.

Anthony Watson
11-02-2008, 11:12 AM
Robert,

Based on recommendations I read on these forums, I bought this mobile base for my Grizzly bandsaw:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=5114&ProductID=145488

It was easy to assemble, fits my bandsaw perfectly, and has very sturdy construction. I think it's easier to use and rolls better than the mobile base that came with my used table saw. It's more like this style:

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?FamilyID=20485

Anthony

Cary Falk
11-02-2008, 11:24 AM
Hi Cary and Rod,

Great looking bases. I was wondering if I could get more details from you, or you had a plan for it or something.

(a) what holds up the saw? ie, the base between the stretchers - plywood or hardwood? The pictures do not show that part. How does it join to the stretchers?
(c) At stationary position, does the whole thing rest on the wheels? If so, isn't the stability affected in any way?
(d) Rod, where'd you get the hot rolled steel angles? Did you cut'em to size yourself or did they cut it for you? How about the holes for the bolts?

I know, too many questions. Thing is, I managed to get my hands on a Unisaw for cheap, and would like to keep it 'movable'.

(A) 2" angle iron screwed to the sides
(b) I put 4" casters on mine. I got them from hartville tool. Woodcraft hsa some that are really nice and lock down a little better but are 2x the cost.
(c)At a stationary position all wheels are in contact with the ground. It doesn cause a stability problem with mine but my garage floors are pretty flat.

John Thompson
11-02-2008, 12:12 PM
I have the Steel City mobile base under my Steel City 5 HP Industrial which weighs around 550 pounds. I works fine. I demonstrated WW machines for Steel City at the International WW Show in Atlanta recently all their machines had Steel City bases under them.

Their welded mobile base is as good as any...

BTW Cary... nice base you build there but it would be good to let everyone know what you charge if you indeed do sell them. I have no need at the moment as all my machines have bases but that is a nice job and I would be curious what you get for them.

Again assuming you sell them?

Sarge..

Thomas Williams
11-02-2008, 12:41 PM
I used the Woodcraft mobile base under by Craftsman zip code saw. While it does had a little to the height, it was easy to assemble and reasonably priced.

Cary Falk
11-02-2008, 5:55 PM
BTW Cary... nice base you build there but it would be good to let everyone know what you charge if you indeed do sell them. I have no need at the moment as all my machines have bases but that is a nice job and I would be curious what you get for them.

Again assuming you sell them?

Sarge..

John, I don't sell them. I'm not sure where that idea came from.

Aarennar Krishnan
11-03-2008, 5:11 AM
(A) 2" angle iron screwed to the sides
(b) I put 4" casters on mine. I got them from hartville tool. Woodcraft hsa some that are really nice and lock down a little better but are 2x the cost.
(c)At a stationary position all wheels are in contact with the ground. It doesn cause a stability problem with mine but my garage floors are pretty flat.

Thanks Cary - helps me in my planning!

Rod Sheridan
11-03-2008, 8:15 AM
Hi Cary and Rod,

Hi Aarennar, in answer to your questions;

1) The base around the saw is 4 peices of angle to make a box. The saw just drops down into that box, and is bolted to holes in the angle.

2) The casters are 3" Colsons, available at industrial suppliers. Expect to spend $100 for 4 casters.

3) I normally tap a wedge under the angle with my foot to keep the saw stationary, the swivel casters are locking types, I'm just too lazy to walk around the back of the saw and lock the caster.

4) Hot rolled angle iron is available at metal suppliers, they will cut it if you want. I cut my own since the corners are mitred prior to welding.

Regards, Rod.

Aarennar Krishnan
11-04-2008, 1:32 PM
Hi Aarennar, in answer to your questions;

1) The base around the saw is 4 peices of angle to make a box. The saw just drops down into that box, and is bolted to holes in the angle.

2) The casters are 3" Colsons, available at industrial suppliers. Expect to spend $100 for 4 casters.

3) I normally tap a wedge under the angle with my foot to keep the saw stationary, the swivel casters are locking types, I'm just too lazy to walk around the back of the saw and lock the caster.

4) Hot rolled angle iron is available at metal suppliers, they will cut it if you want. I cut my own since the corners are mitred prior to welding.

Regards, Rod.
Thanks Rod for the detailed answers!

I didn't realize I'd need to bolt the base to the saw. I was thinking I could just drop it into that 'box' space...

btw, I now see that you don't seem to have casters on the right-most side of the base - is that correct? Does the right side sit directly on the floor with no wheels? If yes, how does the whole thing move?

Rod Sheridan
11-04-2008, 1:49 PM
Thanks Rod for the detailed answers!

I didn't realize I'd need to bolt the base to the saw. I was thinking I could just drop it into that 'box' space...

btw, I now see that you don't seem to have casters on the right-most side of the base - is that correct? Does the right side sit directly on the floor with no wheels? If yes, how does the whole thing move?

Hi, you don't have to bolt it down, however I did.

The right side sits about 3/4" above the floor, all the weight is carried by the four casters.

I used 3/4" above the floor in case I'm ever stupid enough to put so much stuff on the side extension that it tips, this way it will only tip a very slight amount.

Regards, Rod.